OP
KLR

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome pics man. What camera and settings are you using? SOrry if its been mentioned but this thread is HUGE and i've just been clicking through for the pics lol.

Thank you! No worries, my camera is a Canon EOS 7D. I normally use my Tamron 180mm Macro and Canon EF 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 lenses for tank pictures. I am constantly switching camera settings depending on the lense being used, the location of the coral, and the features of the coral. I usually start my settings around Shutter-1/40 f/5.6 ISO-400 when shooting under daylight bulbs and (camera on bulb mode) Shutter-10 seconds f/13 ISO-125 when shooting under blue LEDs only. 95% of the time the flow is off for daylight shots and 100% of the time the flow is off for blue LED shots. Also, a tripod and remote shutter control is used for all of my blue LED shots. In addition to all of this I take all of my photos in RAW in order to get better color and light balance in my final image.

I might be posting some more pictures tonight, so keep your eyes out for them!

Last edited:
OP
OP
KLR

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once again I am re-arranging parts of and organizing my tank. Tonight I somewhat conquered the bottom right part of my tank. I have no before picture, but trust me when I say it looks a lot better now,hahaha.

New Arrangement (Lower Right) by KayRobsReef, on Flickr

OP
OP
KLR

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a look at my most recent corals through a macro lense. Disclaimer, the corals are not as contrasty as they appear. For some reason these photos came out that way though. However, they are still very nicely colored and patterned!

This chalice has truelly a rainbow of colors on it. So far I have seen orange, yellow, green, pink, light blue, dark blue, and purple. Let me know if you spot any others!

No Name by KayRobsReef, on Flickr

A new zoa on the scene:xd:

Last edited:
OP
OP
KLR

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you're the one that snagged that piece. Looks Great. Tank looks awesome as well.

Yea, I could not pass up a combination of a nice chalice and sweet zoanthids. Thank you.
Also, thank you to Blue Water Tropicals for bringing in sweet corals!

Last edited:

poomba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh man Kelby, you scored big time! I hope some of those other colors on the chalice come in more for you, but either way that is sick!

And those hornets are pretty dang unique.

OP
OP
KLR

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh man Kelby, you scored big time! I hope some of those other colors on the chalice come in more for you, but either way that is sick!

And those hornets are pretty dang unique.

Thanks! I think the chalice will settle in nicely for sure. The zoas are really awesome!

OP
OP
KLR

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I attended ReefSMART today in Raleigh, North Carolina.

Here are some of the things I picked up/traded for and I could not be more excited!

I forgot the names of the first two, it has been a long day.

KAC Zoas by KayRobsReef, on Flickr

KAC Zoas by KayRobsReef, on Flickr

Sorry for the bad picture here

My Clementine by KayRobsReef, on Flickr

Josh's Rising Sun Mushroom by KayRobsReef, on Flickr

My favorite pick up of the day came from R2R sponsor JoeKnowsReefs. I am stoked over this one.

Ray's Reef Shazaam by KayRobsReef, on Flickr

I also got some of these a few days ago, they are just starting to fully open up.

TCK Hybrid G Hornets by KayRobsReef, on Flickr

jdl513

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if anyone asked earlier, so sorry if it already has been.
Did not feel like reading throuhg 48 pages..lol.

What type of tang is pictured on the first page?

OP
OP
KLR

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if anyone asked earlier, so sorry if it already has been.
Did not feel like reading throuhg 48 pages..lol.

What type of tang is pictured on the first page?

No worries. I think the tang is a Vlamingi tang. Obviously this fish will outgrow my 66 gal tank. There is a short story behind it though. I walked into my LFS and saw a tiny, maybe 3-4 inch long tang with huge eyes on it. It was labeled as "Tang-$20". So I bought it. After it matured a little it developed the bright blue spots and lips. I then searched fish identification books and obtained my belief that it is a Vlamingi tang. It is not growing too fast, but once it gets moderately large I hope to have a bigger tank anyways.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.5%
Back