Amps Reef Life 180 Gallon in Wall Reef

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would worry about the three 2x6 sistered together that you removed on the right hand side I know it seems weird though that there is obviously a load-bearing wall a foot away.

I am by no means a structural engineer so I'm sure someone else will be able to give a better opinion

OP
OP
Amps Reef Life

Amps Reef Life

That Fish Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would worry about the three 2x6 sistered together that you removed on the right hand side I know it seems weird though that there is obviously a load-bearing wall a foot away.

I am by no means a structural engineer so I'm sure someone else will be able to give a better opinion

I was at first but I have been told it's not and it's nothing to worry about. I am having a company do the work on the wall and stand. The far ends are (left and right) and they won't be moved in anyway.

Brian W

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures of the tank! 180 gallon all Starfire glass. Perimeter bracing and ghost overflow. It's beautiful :)
11F6CD27-DAFE-4A79-A5FF-25537ED76B51.jpeg
BA5145DE-9F7D-41A8-8ABB-8CFF73F38D71.jpeg

3CFF5B7E-99CE-4FF8-A7D0-F76B9AA657D4.jpeg

6CD38A07-EE3D-4992-AEF7-BF6E57F79524.jpeg

3D5E5467-A791-49C5-A6F2-D9214394C76E.jpeg

looking good!!

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Will the tank be right at the edge of the wall?

Consider a slight recess like all the windows in your home. It's a much better look than just trimming directly to the tank. It doesn't need to be much, even an inch looks decent. This is my opinion of course.

OP
OP
Amps Reef Life

Amps Reef Life

That Fish Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will the tank be right at the edge of the wall?

Consider a slight recess like all the windows in your home. It's a much better look than just trimming directly to the tank. It doesn't need to be much, even an inch looks decent. This is my opinion of course.

Good information to know. I appreciate that It should have a very small recess. I will find out today as the tank is going into to place. I will upload some pictures :).

I'm having some electrical plugs moved to a different wall by choice. I have an electrician coming by today to look at that. Currently, I'm in a stall because of this we still have some more work to do on this build. Cabinet guy is next to come. I want the cabinets to be over the entire tank from one end to the other and for the cabinets to match the same ones in the kitchen. I have an order in for an acrylic drip tray to match the sump :).

OP
OP
Amps Reef Life

Amps Reef Life

That Fish Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is not overkill in my opinion. It's just enough. That is assuming there are 8 3 foot t5 bulbs under there.

That's correct :) I'm going to adjust the LED positions a bit more but it should come out with some solid lighting. I have a par meter and I will be testing the numbers when I get the tank ready.

OP
OP
Amps Reef Life

Amps Reef Life

That Fish Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My problem with led isn't par nor spectrum, it's spread. Small hot spots with dim surroundings. The t5 remove that as they are the least point source lighting

I have used both for years. LED's can grow coral well and so can T5 but I have had amazing success when combining the two. Par is just a number its good to know what parts of the tank are high or low. I don't chase the numbers but it allows me to have a solid idea where certain corals should be placed.

Brian W

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used both for years. LED's can grow coral well and so can T5 but I have had amazing success when combining the two. Par is just a number its good to know what parts of the tank are high or low. I don't chase the numbers but it allows me to have a solid idea where certain corals should be placed.
What are your going to keep in this tank? Mixed reef, SPS Dominant
What do you plan to keep your par around if you grow sps?
Tank is looking good!

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news I have major updates. Electrical plugs moved. Tank is now in place. Still a good amount of work to be done. Plumbing, trim around tank and cabinets. Here are some photos.
5F9841C2-8E07-4CD5-8153-3DAA9208EBE4.jpeg

F4910FBB-76CE-41B3-A823-8B090E05B2B6.jpeg

E49C272A-BDF7-4BE0-9713-ED3FCC493FB9.jpeg

2C6E76A0-1174-4A65-9D5A-F739A1C6C925.jpeg

09914208-1BDA-461E-BC45-3C17A0BBEB0E.jpeg
Love it!

I'd definitely recommend some kind of base and casing to the bottom of that stand to catch any small spills or leaks from the sump area.

Us reefers can be messy and that wood floor looks too nice to ruin [emoji16]

OP
OP
Amps Reef Life

Amps Reef Life

That Fish Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love it!

I'd definitely recommend some kind of base and casing to the bottom of that stand to catch any small spills or leaks from the sump area.

Us reefers can be messy and that wood floor looks too nice to ruin [emoji16]

Thank you very much. I have an acrylic drip tray being made for the bottom of the sump area that will fit inside the stand. I thought it would look really nice matching the colors of my sump. On my others tanks in the past, I place that koi pond mat. It's worked really well but I wanted something more clean looking for this build.

OP
OP
Amps Reef Life

Amps Reef Life

That Fish Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your going to keep in this tank? Mixed reef, SPS Dominant
What do you plan to keep your par around if you grow sps?
Tank is looking good!

Thank you!!! I plan to keep a mixed reef. My current tank is a 105 that's mixed but mostly lps and mushrooms. When I get all of the coral and fish transferred Ill post some pictures. Couple bounce mushrooms, rainbow chalice, leptos, scoly and meat corals and so on. I will keep some sps at the top of the tank to have a nice mix going on.

Par near the top of the rock I will shoot for 250-350 maybe a tad higher. Hopefully, I can achieve this while keeping 80 to 100 on the sand bed. Once I'm set up I'll start to dial in the lights to see what I can achieve.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back