KNOW YOUR FLOW: How do you know when you have enough or too much water flow?

How do you feel about the flow in your tank?

• Pretty close to perfect

Votes: 214 32.5%
  • Not enough flow

Votes: 127 19.3%
  • Too much flow

Votes: 26 3.9%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 280 42.5%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 12 1.8%

• Total voters

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just dropped a reefwave 25 into my small tank that had just two current eflux powerheads in it.
As of now, the reefwave is set at 10% forward and 40% reverse random flow. The patterns of flow are very chaotic with the eflux and reefwave flows crashing into each other.
Weather or not its too much or too little, i don't know. The sand doesn't get tossed around, zoa's still wide open... the tank has been up and running for 2+ years, and I think its ready for some colored sticks.

fishnugget1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have 2 red sea waver 45 mounted horizontally on each side of Reefer 750.
However, I have crushed coral and my sand across the front is covered in brown algae.

What should I do? if i put extra powerhead across front bottom sand will move.

kkelly007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I LOVE this question! I am a neophyte compared to the heavyweights on this site, but lately I have been evaluating the appropriateness of my flow--105g Peninsula DT with two Reefwave 45's mounted vertically, plus a Vectra M2 return pump--based on 1) how happy my corals look, and 2) how the sand looks (algae and "old" looking sand = too little, and sand getting blown around everywhere = too much). Honestly, my primary determinant is how my corals looks. My hammer has looked picture perfect ever since I turned my Reefwaves (have them changing throughout the day, but the majority of the flow is on uniform wave 2--so very low); and my blasto has opened up big and fleshy, its colors are beautiful and it is currently growing two new heads. Seems like most LPS really prefer low flow.

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect timing. I have a 35 gallon hexagon...one flow head that is suction cup to wall and continually falls down...looking upgrade but also add a power head for a total of 2. I have a HOB filter that creates down flow. And an HOB protein skimmer that really doesn’t create much flow. I seem to have build up on one side of my tank. What are some good and reasonably priced controllable power heads with magnet position holders?

38AB23D3-1543-46E0-B25B-91297DF724D8.jpeg
Good and reasonably priced are two characteristics that are hard to come by in this hobby. I guess its how you define reasonable. Bying used is a way to go. MP10's maybe would suit your needs.

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I have enough in a certain spot, but if I turn up my wave maker the hammers don't open as much, having nearly all hammers that are still opening and growing I'm going to leave it for now. Although I may add a duck bill nozzle on to the splitter from my return to try and get the flow to reach where the surface is a bit scummy. This I my most recent vid.

Isabel’s Hobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 225 gallon one MP40 left side one right side
I also have 2 neros in the back pointing to front

everything seems to rock back and forth Nicely
No peeling fish of the glass
But still having a little buildup towards the back not sure how to fix that. The neros are going only 30% for a few hours the MP 40 are going 90% one the other 75 s d the. Slow down at night
I also have 4 returns from 2 pumps coming in what make a lot of motion

a little salt creep up on only right side top glass

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I have too much flow. I have a 32g biocube. The return pump is a mighty jet 538 (this seems fine). I also have an icecap 1K gyre in there that alternates from 10% to 30%. Seems like that would be good, but I have a difficult time finding low enough flow for mushrooms and RFAs in my tank.

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my old tank I have super fine sand so flow has always been more about preventing sandstorms and digging trenches than anything else. The substrate has definitely been the biggest limiting factor in my flow plans. I have 2 Current USA eFlux 1050s carefully placed to point straight across and turned down to about 50%. Corals seem happy enough (just softies) so I don't mess with it.

The new tank is a different challenge. I went with larger substrate and rinsed the heck out of it so it seems much more tolerant of higher flow, however with nothing but water, rock, and sand in the tank it's impossible to judge (still cycling). I have an MP40 in this tank which is definitely a bit oversized for the volume, so it's currently turned down to the minimum. We'll see once there is something other than bacteria living in there where it really needs to go. For the moment, though, we don't have sandstorms or trenches so that's a start!

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect timing. I have a 35 gallon hexagon...one flow head that is suction cup to wall and continually falls down...looking upgrade but also add a power head for a total of 2. I have a HOB filter that creates down flow. And an HOB protein skimmer that really doesn’t create much flow. I seem to have build up on one side of my tank. What are some good and reasonably priced controllable power heads with magnet position holders?

I just bought the Current USA eFlux powerheads. They weren't bad price and there is a ton of settings for them. Hopefully they work as good as I'm hoping they will

jd-woodlands

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you SPS stickheads that say there isn't such a thing as too much flow, I would say otherwise. I have a ton of flow in my bare bottom SPS tank and it has caused several species of SPS to grow abnormally with curled over tips and nubs at the end. Same sticks in other areas of the tank grow as expected. I am running 2 IceCap Gyre 3K's at 100% in an ~80 gal 48"x20"x20" (i think those are the dimensions) with a square wave at opposite ends, with alternating reverse flow .

jd-woodlands

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought the Current USA eFlux powerheads. They weren't bad price and there is a ton of settings for them. Hopefully they work as good as I'm hoping they will

I have used the same power heads in the past, they are OK. They require cleaning weekly to maintain full flow rates, otherwise output drops dramatically. They have also got stuck "reversed" on me and suck water instead of blow.

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used the same power heads in the past, they are OK. They require cleaning weekly to maintain full flow rates, otherwise output drops dramatically. They have also got stuck "reversed" on me and suck water instead of blow.
I kinda figured they had their little issues but for the price I couldnt pass them up. I just set up my first tank so I just wanted to get it going. Im sure I will upgrade them before next spring at the latest honestly. Just needed something I could control without breaking the bank since I already accomplished that lol. Planning on probably getting the TUNZE

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mostly watch floaties in the water column, I have a couple areas in the tank that could use more flow.

In general it's always:
giphy.gif

paraletho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have enough flow I just need to randomize it a little and make it a little more chaotic. I can tell by my lopsided growth on some of my SPS colonies.

Lp1977

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well good topic and I'm SURE I'm over but I'm tuned down. 5 6105's and 2 xf350's on a 180 sps dominate. They are positioned not hit structure and it definitely keeps detritus suspended on bare bottom. Fish and corals seem to like the flow. Gonis and torch are always open/extended and flowing.

Johnny C

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moved my mp40s from the back of the tank to the sides and I have way better flow.
I just push it to the most flow the euphyllia can handle.
I also do night mode with 50% flow (thanks to legacy support on Mobius *woot woot*)
i have yet to put water in my tank but so far this is where I have been suggested to have my mp40’s. How long is your tank?

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have yet to put water in my tank but so far this is where I have been suggested to have my mp40’s. How long is your tank?
Four feet long. I keep it at 70%. It looks better on the back but it’s night and day since I moved them to the sides. Looks way better.

dummyknuckles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Koralia is nice, I've had a few over the years on my small tank. They sell a wave maker controller combo with 2 koralia powerheads - you might like that too. Nice looking tank!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back