Kole tang aggressiveness? Does it need to be the last fish added?

Meloco14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be my first experience with a tang, and it will be either a kole or bristletooth going into a 90 with peaceful fish. I was planning on adding it last since it will be the largest and I assume most dominant. But is this necessary? Are these Ctenochaetus tangs aggressive or dominant over smaller peaceful fish? My current fish are:
2 DaVinci clowns
Royal gramma
Yellow watchman
Banggai cardinal
3 zebra Dartfish
Purple firefish
Hi fin banded goby
My future stock list is:
Rainfords goby
Tailspot blenny
Kole tang or similar
2 or 3 flasher or fairy wrasse
Mandarin

The only reason why I am considering adding the tang sooner rather than later is for algae management. If I add it now, will there be potential issue adding any of the other fish on my wishlist?
Thanks for any advice.

RedReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In a 90 gallon you should be fine adding first or last. They can be bossy sometimes, but I’ve never had issues with my last kole or my chevron.

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check this out. May be helpful.

RedReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In a 90 gallon you should be fine adding first or last. They can be bossy sometimes, but I’ve never had issues with my last kole or my chevron.
I only keep one Chevron Tang (bristletooth) in my tank. I’ve never tried more than one in a single system.

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put my Kole tang in pretty early in my 131 Gallon DT. He is definitely the boss of the tank and goes after all new additions. I would recommend adding him last based off your stocking list.

Although, I don’t see anything the Yellow Eye Kole would go after that is another tang or similar looking fish.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kole tangs sometimes have problems with algae-blennies. I haven't tried one with a tailspot, but have witnessed numerous disagreements between my kole and starry blenny.

I'd add the tailspot before the kole.

~B.

haitian_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kole tangs sometimes have problems with algae-blennies. I haven't tried one with a tailspot, but have witnessed numerous disagreements between my kole and starry blenny.

I'd add the tailspot before the kole.

~B.
Funny you should say that. My Kole hates my orange spot blenny, but doesn't mind a Midas Blenny, Power Blue Tang, Blue Throat Trigger, Tail Spot Blenny, and a pair of clownfish.

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see others notice they don't care for algea eating blennies. Mine chases my lawnmower any chance he gets. I
Guess they don't like them eating their algea supply.

OP
OP
M

Meloco14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the help, I'm not going to take a chance, I will hold off and add the tang last, except for maybe the mandarin. Kole tangs don't seem to be as peaceful as I thought they were. Even on the list on the tang aggression thread it shows them in the middle of the pack, more aggressive than many other species. Thanks all.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be my first experience with a tang, and it will be either a kole or bristletooth going into a 90 with peaceful fish. I was planning on adding it last since it will be the largest and I assume most dominant. But is this necessary? Are these Ctenochaetus tangs aggressive or dominant over smaller peaceful fish? My current fish are:
2 DaVinci clowns
Royal gramma
Yellow watchman
Banggai cardinal
3 zebra Dartfish
Purple firefish
Hi fin banded goby
My future stock list is:
Rainfords goby
Tailspot blenny
Kole tang or similar
2 or 3 flasher or fairy wrasse
Mandarin

The only reason why I am considering adding the tang sooner rather than later is for algae management. If I add it now, will there be potential issue adding any of the other fish on my wishlist?
Thanks for any advice.
Mine was only maybe 3 inches and was a jerk. Okay with most fish added before but I would not want I add anything after. It was a 80g tank.

I sold it as it was not worth the stress on tankmates.

VAFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tang dominate tank. I have a hippo, kole, purple, sailfin, and a powder brown. They don't bother my 4 clowns or my firefish. Maybe I am lucky.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back