Kole tang Bacterial infection???

96Duck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there,
I recently added a kole tang into my 5ft display tank with 3 other tangs (sailfin, powder blue, blue hippo). Fish looked fine prior to being introduced but within 1hour he now has face markings that looks to be from some form of disease/ infection/ fungi. He also has a few white (cotton ball like) dots on his dorsal fin and the sailfin has one on its causal fin...Along with a couple other body marks

All 4 fish were quarintined with TTM for 14 days, transferred every 48 hours with a 30sec FW dip between. Prazi pro was added in 2 of the transfers. All buckets, heaters, pvc pipes, airstones etc were brand new and not reused to avoid contamination.

All fish are eating like pigs. I am offering nori twice a day, a pinch if pellets once and half a cube of spirilina infused brine shrimp once a day also.

I am unsure what to do as I don't know what I am dealing with and trying to get them out of the tank now will be almost impossible with my extensive rockwork

Somebody please help
Mitch - Newcastle Australia

Screenshot_20201013-161628_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20201013-161709_Gallery.jpg 20201013_161841.jpg

OP
OP
96Duck

96Duck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish were introduced on Saturday. It is now Tuesday and they look the same. I have been dosing the reccomended amount of prime and nitrifying bacteria to prevent possible ammonia burn. Ammonia has been undetected on tests. Tank has been set up since July, however all rockwork, bio media and water was taken from previous tank that was running for over 12 months.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some general observations - as you know, TTM is used to combat Ich, and to a lesser extent velvet. However, it greatly increases the handling of the fish, and each time the fish is netted/moved, it can receive a little more damage. That can lead to Lymphocystis (which may be what the white spots on the fins are). I can't tell from your description if the prazi was in the water long enough during the transfers to work.

The only thing I see that worries me is the discoloration on the kole's face. Not sure what that is. Now that it is in your DT, I don't suppose you have the ability to medicate it with antibiotics, so you may just have to see if it can ride it out.

Jay

OP
OP
96Duck

96Duck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The praziquantel tablets available in AUS reccomend to dose in water for 48 hours and then repeat in 7 days which i did

Roytrolls247

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I introduced a Kole Tang into my tank, After two weeks of Qt. He was eating playing and looked healthy. Another two weeks passed and one morning I found him belly up against a power head. :( It had Zero signs of sickness.. All of my other fish look fine..

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The praziquantel tablets available in AUS reccomend to dose in water for 48 hours and then repeat in 7 days which i did
Yes - that is spot on timing for prazi.the face lesions do not look like flukes, but fish can always have more than one issue going on at a time.
Jay

Back