Kole Tang Bacterial Infection?

mynameisnick4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I woke up to this morning to my Yellow Eye Kole Tang in distress, breathing heavily and sticking to one spot in the tank. Then I noticed abrasions/marks on one side. Prior to today he has been eating and acting fine, I do not recall the marks being there. Does this look like a bacterial infection? I tried to get pictures but my phone is awful at taking pictures of the tank.

As far as any changes to the tank, the last fish added was a Foxface on 10/5 who went through nearly two months of QT, 30 days of which were through copper. Every other fish has been QTed through copper. The Kole Tang itself has been in the tank since February.

20201107_193918.jpg Capture.JPG

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like something that - if it's not infected now - could very easily become infected. I'm a tad outta the loop on which antibiotics come the most highly recommended these days - @Jay Hemdal is probably your best bet for that information.

All of the antibiotics would require a quarantine tank - can you get one set up, in case it's needed?

~B.

OP
OP
M

mynameisnick4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like something that - if it's not infected now - could very easily become infected. I'm a tad outta the loop on which antibiotics come the most highly recommended these days - @Jay Hemdal is probably your best bet for that information.

All of the antibiotics would require a quarantine tank - can you get one set up, in case it's needed?

~B.
My QT tank is currently occupied by a Six Line Wrasse that is about to start copper, I also don't know if I would even be able to catch him in my tank. I think anything that requires me taking him out of the tank will be hard.

OP
OP
M

mynameisnick4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately he died sometime in the night. My main concern now is if there is something contagious in the tank. I don't see how there could be as I have been super strict with QT since getting the tank wiped almost exactly 1 year ago to velvet.

20201108_091542.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, for some reason I missed your post until just now...

Whatever this was, it moved too quickly to have been able to treat it...

While first indication would be a bacterial infection, those don’t start up in long term captives without some sort of a reason. And then, they usually don’t cause mortality for a few days. Uronema is another possibility. How do your other fish look today?
Jay

OP
OP
M

mynameisnick4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, for some reason I missed your post until just now...

Whatever this was, it moved too quickly to have been able to treat it...

While first indication would be a bacterial infection, those don’t start up in long term captives without some sort of a reason. And then, they usually don’t cause mortality for a few days. Uronema is another possibility. How do your other fish look today?
Jay
Everyone else seems healthy and eating as the normally would, I am keeping a close eye out.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back