Kole tang mouth problem

manfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea on what’s going on here.?
Kole tang went into quarantine last week. No signs of ich. Dosed prazipro, and all was going well. Fed metroplex yesterday and today his mouth is looking inflamed and he s not eating.

86814CC6-9FF8-40E6-9378-728AB569107E.png

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look like an injury - could the fish have gotten caught in a net while being moved (they do call them bristletooth tangs!). It could also have damaged itself running into the tank wall.

It looks like the damage is pretty severe. Unfortunately, there isn't anything you can do for that except time to heal.

Don't bother feeding metroplex - for three reasons; it isn't a primary antibiotic, it is very bitter and fish tend to avoid it, and unless you calculate it properly, there is no way to get the dose correct.

In my opinion, given the fish is in a treatment tank, I would dose with antibiotics in the water, and hope that the fish can heal itself and start feeding again. You should select a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic - Neoplex for example, or Maracyn 2 perhaps. A lot of folks use Furan.

Jay

(sorry for the delay in my response - I was looking for you to tag me....)

Upvote 0

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back