Kole Tang, small patch of discoloration, ID/Treatment?

Glasswalker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, so I got another Kole Tang, here is a thread when I first got him, been in QT for 8-9 days now (got him newyears eve actually).
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/new-kole-tang-is-he-breathing-heavy-video.281356/

He's been eating in QT, he's definitely eating Nori, about a 2" square sheet every other day. And he's nibbling at veggie flakes, etc occasionally. I put some chaeto in the qt from my sump as well, and he doesn't appear to be eating that (that I've seen).

Anyway, he's active, and seems happy, he was very skittish when I got him (normal) but now is much less so, he'll come out and watch me through the glass etc...

But yesterday/today I noticed a small patch of discoloration on his right side, just behind his right eye. My Wife is pretty sure it's been there since day one, but I'm not 100% sure...

Either way, the last Kole we bought (same time as our Foxface which is happy and healthy in our dt right now) was quite sick, and ended up dying, and his early symptoms were somewhat similar to this, though much more severe (covered much more of his body, and he was acting very strange, and wasn't eating). Anyway that said it progressed quickly, and killed in very little time. So I wanted to be super safe, even if I'm just being paranoid.

So thought I'd post this up now, to get early feedback.

Here is the previous thread (it's got some graphic photos, as forewarning) for reference:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/new-kole-tang-may-be-sick-need-help.258897/

Upon re-reading, it definitely doesn't look the same as that, which is a bit re-assuring. Anyway...

Here is a couple current pics showing the "spot". It's possible it's been there since day one, in which case it might just be an old "War wound" from the wild/etc....
IMG_20170108_120900-cropped.jpg IMG_20170108_120627-cropped.jpg IMG_20170108_120627-cropped-circled.jpg

Sorry for bad quality pics, it's taken on a phone and while he's a lot easier to photograph now than he was 8 days ago, he still swims very actively and is always moving, so hard to get a clear shot of.

There are a couple more pics, and a video in the other linked thread as well (from when I first got him).

Anyway, any feedback/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. (even if you tell me I'm just being paranoid, and worrying too much, that's fine too lol).

Oh, on-hand I have a bit (might be enough for another course) of Kanaplex, as well as Copper. But LFS is open for a couple more hours, so if I need anything else, please let me know ASAP.

Also water parameters:
Temp - 79
Salinity - 1.023 (was 1.021 from LFS, slowly raising it over several weeks to 1.025 to match display)
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 30ish? (needs water change I know, was still a bit high from running the qt ghost-fed for the past couple months to keep biofilter healthy, did a change, but needs another one, just didn't want to stress him out more with a change right away).
PH 8.0 approx (hard to read accurately on API test, but should be between 8.0 and 8.1 from what I can tell)

This QT has been up and running since just after the last incident. After that incident I did a full teardown (and then the tank developed a leak, so we replaced the tank entirely). It was freshly cycled, and after that, we added a Decorated Goby, who was very healthy, spent about 6 weeks in QT, and is now in the DT. It's been fallow for probably 90 days since he was done, been ghost feeding (tiny amount of flakes) with an auto-feeder to keep biofilter healthy for that time.

Only filteration is a HOB 120G rated Aquaclear filter, running with only foam, and live rubble in it.
But I have carbon pads for it etc, in case needed for medication in the event it becomes a hospital.

It has a heater, and a very small power head, and a couple pieces of live rock. There is very little algae growing in it unfortunately, so not much for him to graze on, but I saw him eat at LFS (eating live macro growing in the tank, and flakes) and I'm feeding flakes (Which I've seen him eat, but he doesn't go nuts for them) and he definitely eats nori. (and he's constantly picking at the rocks/glass/bottom etc)

He was supposedly in the LFS for 2 weeks, the first week of which he spent in a QT system running copper, and then another week in their invert/reef tank, which had only himself, and 3 yellow tangs in it (all from same QT batch). which is when we bought him.

Hopefully that's enough info to get rolling. If you need more please just ask, I'll do my best.

Here's hoping I'm just being paranoid ;) but if not I'd rather try to catch something early and treat, than find it late and have a repeat of the last time... :(

Also here is the obligatory @melypr1985 @Humblefish and #reefsquad tags :)

Anyway thanks again!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would consider adding some protein to his diet. I know we always think of Tangs as being vegetarians but they really are omnivores.

This is what LRS puts in it's Herbivore Frenzy which it recommends for Tangs. You can see it is far from a pure vegetarian diet.
LRS Herbivore Frenzy® ingredients:
Fresh Wild Caught Scallop
Fresh Wild Caught, Hand Peeled Shrimp
Fresh, Wild Caught Perch and Whitefish
Premium Piscine Energetics Mysis Shrimp
Squid
Euphausia pacifica krill
Fresh Shucked Oysters and Clams
Green and Purple Seaweed (Porphyra)
Blanched Broccoli Flowers (Rich in Vitamins A&D)
Sea Lettuce (Ulva)
Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acids
Buffered Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C to delay oxidation)
D. salina micro-algae (Beta carotene for increased pigmentation)
LRS Probiotic Blend (Click HERE to learn more)

OP
OP
Glasswalker

Glasswalker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, good call. I threw some frozen spirulina brine in for him just now, and he went crazy for it. So definitely going to give him a daily helping of those from here on out.

Any concerns/thoughts on the spot? Do you think it's just an old injury, or something to be concerned about?

Just don't want to leave something for too long and get to a place where treatment isn't an option.

Thanks for the tip on feeding, I know he's eating the Nori too, but at least now I can be 100% sure he's getting enough to eat.

I would consider adding some protein to his diet. I know we always think of Tangs as being vegetarians but they really are omnivores.

This is what LRS puts in it's Herbivore Frenzy which it recommends for Tangs. You can see it is far from a pure vegetarian diet.
LRS Herbivore Frenzy® ingredients:
Fresh Wild Caught Scallop
Fresh Wild Caught, Hand Peeled Shrimp
Fresh, Wild Caught Perch and Whitefish
Premium Piscine Energetics Mysis Shrimp
Squid
Euphausia pacifica krill
Fresh Shucked Oysters and Clams
Green and Purple Seaweed (Porphyra)
Blanched Broccoli Flowers (Rich in Vitamins A&D)
Sea Lettuce (Ulva)
Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acids
Buffered Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C to delay oxidation)
D. salina micro-algae (Beta carotene for increased pigmentation)
LRS Probiotic Blend (Click HERE to learn more)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, good call. I threw some frozen spirulina brine in for him just now, and he went crazy for it. So definitely going to give him a daily helping of those from here on out.

Any concerns/thoughts on the spot? Do you think it's just an old injury, or something to be concerned about?

Just don't want to leave something for too long and get to a place where treatment isn't an option.

Thanks for the tip on feeding, I know he's eating the Nori too, but at least now I can be 100% sure he's getting enough to eat.
I don't have a thought on the spot unfortunately. If it were mine, I would improve the nutrition (like you did) and see if that helps it heal on its own. If the fish started acting different, the spot turns red or splotchy, or grows, I would take further action.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks to me like maybe he just nicked himself on a rock. I would just keep an eye on it for now, and also improve nutrition as @Brew12 advised. That will help his immune system heal the cut.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the guys. Looks like an old wound and better nutrition will probably help it heal up. You'll just want to keep an eye on it to be sure it's healing.

OP
OP
Glasswalker

Glasswalker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK so update he seemed fine for a few days, but now he is visibly looking not well.

He is being very lethargic this morning, sitting still on the bottom, he's still swimming but not much.

The mark on his side is mostly gone now, only a small amount of swelling where it was.

Now there is a dark mark on his head that just appeared. And I noticed on his pectoral area there is what appears to be a thin layer of skin peeling off in a couple places.

Uploading pics but they aren't that great.

Ugh, dang mobile web... Posted mid typing somehow... Another post incoming...

OP
OP
Glasswalker

Glasswalker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry somehow posted prematurely... (On mobile)

@melypr1985 @Humblefish #reefsquad
Help?

Pics:
You can see the head wound here, hard to see the skin peeling it's small and seemed to be thin/clear.

Also swimming with mouth open now.
IMG_20170114_104233.jpg

Here is a side shot
IMG_20170114_104130.jpg

I had to run out this morning so took these early and just got a chance to post. But can hit LFS on way home in an hour or two. So please advise!

Any help advise appreciated greatly as always!

Want to save this little guy!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you done a fresh water dip on this guy?

And have you tested your ammonia?

OP
OP
Glasswalker

Glasswalker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't tested, but have an ammonia alert badge (seachem), it's reading zero. I can certainly test with the API kit when I get home to double-check

Have not done freshwater dip yet. Was waiting to hear if it was advised, I know it can be stressful on the fish.

Thoughts?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With as much color lost as he has, I wonder if he doesn't have velvet. Hopefully it's just lots of stress or the lighting, difficult to tell from the photos.

Is he in any medications now?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. What meds are currently in the water and def do the freshwater dip on him. I'd like to know the results from that before advising on a direction to go.

OP
OP
Glasswalker

Glasswalker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, just got home, he's gotten a bit worse. He's still swimming but again not very active.

With as much color lost as he has, I wonder if he doesn't have velvet. Hopefully it's just lots of stress or the lighting, difficult to tell from the photos.

Is he in any medications now?

I'm hoping not Velvet, not a high treatment success rate on that one :(

He's not on any meds now, nothing in the tank.

Yes. What meds are currently in the water and def do the freshwater dip on him. I'd like to know the results from that before advising on a direction to go.

Ok, I was hesitating to do freshwater dip as I thought that was primarily for parasitic infections, and thought this might have been bacterial, didn't want to over-stress him if it was bacterial.

But I'll start prepping the dip now.

Also, here are updated pics:

IMG_20170114_135616.jpg IMG_20170114_135629.jpg

Much more "skin peeling" now around his mouth and head, and along pectoral area as well.
No meds in the water right now at all.

Ok, I was hesitating to do freshwater dip as I thought that was primarily for parasitic infections, and thought this might have been bacterial, didn't want to over-stress him if it was bacterial.

I'll start prepping freshwater dip now.

Will advise on results.

OP
OP
Glasswalker

Glasswalker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, prepping dip now, it's currently aerating and heating, will try to get temp as close as I can. Definitely need to pick up a small thermometer for just this purpose, only have the digital ones in the display and QT tank to work with, so will be hard to get it exact.

Following protocol at: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/freshwater-dip.248898/

Will let you know how it goes...

Hypothetically speaking, what should I be looking for specifically following the dip, so for example if it was brook, what would I likely observe? vs velvet? vs something else? etc... So I know to keep an eye on certain things.

Also in the event of Brook or Velvet, what are my treatment options? I have Kanaplex on-hand and Copper, other than that I'll need to run to LFS which is open 3 more hours today.

Thanks!

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/brooklynella.247938/

Give this a read. I haven't treated for Brook specifically so I'm not sure what you will see but I would assume a FW dip will give the fish some time. I have used Acriflavine and it seems to be relatively kind on fish. You may need to call the LFS to see what they have on hand...

If it's velvet I still like the idea of doing a FW dip, followed by an Acriflavine chemical bath, followed by a quick ramp up with Chelated Copper (say within 24 hrs but others can comment).

To me it looks like Brook but again I've never treated it.

Velvet:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/velvet-amyloodinium-ocellatum.217570/

OP
OP
Glasswalker

Glasswalker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This could even be brook. The freshwater dip will help with that, if that's what it is.
If it's brook, the treatment of choice is Acriflavine, so I know the LFS carries Ruby Reef Rally. Just not sure what to do if it's Velvet (if anything).

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/brooklynella.247938/

Give this a read. I haven't treated for Brook specifically so I'm not sure what you will see but I would assume a FW dip will give the fish some time. I have used Acriflavine and it seems to be relatively kind on fish. You may need to call the LFS to see what they have on hand...
Yeah was just reading this when I saw your post :)
Ruby Reef Rally is definitely in stock at LFS. So I can pick that up.
Question on that (that thread doesn't seem to clearly mention it)
I have a DT, and QT tank, the sick Kole is in the QT, my DT is active and healthy (a bit of algae but all good lol)
If this is brook, and I want to treat with RRR, should I dose the tank? Or do a dip?
The reason I ask is once I've dipped him, the parasites will still be alive in the tank, and I have nowhere to put him but back in the QT tank... So should I just dose the whole QT to eliminate the parasite altogether?
Also what's the protocol "post treatment" for brook/velvet? (ie: to properly ensure my QT is "clean" for future use?)

Thanks!

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's brook, the treatment of choice is Acriflavine, so I know the LFS carries Ruby Reef Rally. Just not sure what to do if it's Velvet (if anything).

Yeah was just reading this when I saw your post :)
Ruby Reef Rally is definitely in stock at LFS. So I can pick that up.
Question on that (that thread doesn't seem to clearly mention it)
I have a DT, and QT tank, the sick Kole is in the QT, my DT is active and healthy (a bit of algae but all good lol)
If this is brook, and I want to treat with RRR, should I dose the tank? Or do a dip?
The reason I ask is once I've dipped him, the parasites will still be alive in the tank, and I have nowhere to put him but back in the QT tank... So should I just dose the whole QT to eliminate the parasite altogether?
Also what's the protocol "post treatment" for brook/velvet? (ie: to properly ensure my QT is "clean" for future use?)

Thanks!
Personally I would do a bath (essentially a long dip). When I do it I just mix up saltwater in a 5 gallon bucket and put an airstone and heater in with it and mix in the Acriflavine (for me Acriflavine-MS). First I do a 5 min freshwater dip in a different 5 gallon bucket, then move the fish to the Acriflavine bath (for me about 75-90 mins), then into a fresh QT tank.

I don't really like the idea of adding the fish to the old QT tank since it is recommended to have a 6 week fallow period to eradicate Brook. That said, maybe daily baths on the fish would eradicate it? More experienced members can comment @melypr1985 @Humblefish

I would assume at the very least it would buy you some time to get a fresh QT setup...as long as it isn't velvet that is...

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. so really the first thing you will look for is Flukes
1459813172723-jpg.336938

1459813183075-jpg.336939

Then you'll look at the body post-dip and see if some of the skin that was sloughing off came off or was washed away. Check his breathing. Is it better, worse or the same as before the dip? How does his skin look compared to pre-dip?

OP
OP
Glasswalker

Glasswalker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so observations:
- He made the full 5 min, played dead, but was still respirating.
- On putting him back in QT tank he had a bit of a hard time, had to nudge him a bit to get him to "wake up"
- Is swimming now, mostly swimming into powerhead
- Is breathing very heavy now, only 1 min after dip though
- No signs of flukes in the bucket at all
- During the dip some of the skin came off, and there is some discoloration around the fins as well that wasn't noticeable before
- Also I noticed a bit of redness around the gill. Have photos will post in a second.
- Overall he seems more active now, but I just completely disturbed his environment (Removed all rock from the tank before catching him, and stirred up some detritus unfortunately)
- Going to get updated pics and observe a bit, just wanted to post this ASAP.

Thanks!

Ok. so really the first thing you will look for is Flukes
1459813172723-jpg.336938

1459813183075-jpg.336939

Then you'll look at the body post-dip and see if some of the skin that was sloughing off came off or was washed away. Check his breathing. Is it better, worse or the same as before the dip? How does his skin look compared to pre-dip?

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 126 59.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 76 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.6%
Back