Kole tang with white batches on face?

Lukethefishlover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I’m new to the forum. I have a Yellow Eyed Kole Tang in QT. Tonight I noticed that he had so white batches on his face, I’ll upload a picture. He is in QT, so any treatments needed I can do.

I plan on doing a freshwater dip with Methlyn Blue. Then let him rest for a day before I begin to do Prazi-Pro for a week. After that I will continue the Prazi-Pro along with Cupramine. And after another week do Maracyn Oxi.

I’m new to the whole QT thing, and am not sure if this is adequate for a tang. And advice will be appreciated!

76f96734080120d3b8dbde42ec313c79.jpg

As you can see from the photo it’s around his mouth and on the side of his head.

Thanks in advance!!!

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes try to upload a better picture. It would be helpful!

Also welcome to R2R.

Great place, great people, and tons of great info!

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R :) Yep, get a closeup picture.

Here's my prophylactic treatment for all incoming fish that are not showing any disease or injuries. Marine velvet is rampant in the industry these days, so I get to treating with copper (Copper Power) ASAP. The darned suppliers, shippers and LFS are frequently treating fish with sub-therapeutic levels of copper to keep fish alive and looking the best for sale. But the sub-therapeutic levels wear off rather quickly once you get the fish home and then velvet comes roaring back almost without warning from the usual symptoms. So be aware of difficult breathing, hiding from light, swimming into powerheads, etc.:

Prophylactic Treatment: No observed symptoms of disease or injury

20 gal QT cycled: HOB with foam pad & BioMax treated with Bio Spira/Dr Tims, foam bubble filter with foam soaked for at least 2 weeks in DT sump, heater, powerhead, Seachem Ammonia Alert Badge.
Tank lights off. Ambient room lighting only.
Feed fish with white/black worms, vitamin & fiber packed frozen food with Selcon/Zoecon for at least 3 days
Freshwater dip to check for flukes
S-l-o-w-l-y (8-10 days) bring up copper to therapeutic levels for prophylactic treatment for 30 days: Tank lights off until therapeutic level is reached. Best to dose several times a day (AM, lunch, PM) rather than one large dose.
Carbon & Cuprisorb to remove copper. Water changes. Observe.
General Cure 2 doses 5-7 days apart. Turn up bubbler and turn on powerhead aimed at surface to increase O2. Like GC over Prazipro. GC has Metro + Praziquantel, so you are getting the Praziquantel which kills flukes and "some" internal parasites and Metro that kills all internal parasites/worms. And the dose of Praziquantel is lower but does the job and is easier on sensitive fish.
Carbon & water changes.
Observe 10-14 days.

OP
OP
L

Lukethefishlover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R :) Yep, get a closeup picture.

Here's my prophylactic treatment for all incoming fish that are not showing any disease or injuries. Marine velvet is rampant in the industry these days, so I get to treating with copper (Copper Power) ASAP. The darned suppliers, shippers and LFS are frequently treating fish with sub-therapeutic levels of copper to keep fish alive and looking the best for sale. But the sub-therapeutic levels wear off rather quickly once you get the fish home and then velvet comes roaring back almost without warning from the usual symptoms. So be aware of difficult breathing, hiding from light, swimming into powerheads, etc.:

Prophylactic Treatment: No observed symptoms of disease or injury

20 gal QT cycled: HOB with foam pad & BioMax treated with Bio Spira/Dr Tims, foam bubble filter with foam soaked for at least 2 weeks in DT sump, heater, powerhead, Seachem Ammonia Alert Badge.
Tank lights off. Ambient room lighting only.
Feed fish with white/black worms, vitamin & fiber packed frozen food with Selcon/Zoecon for at least 3 days
Freshwater dip to check for flukes
S-l-o-w-l-y (8-10 days) bring up copper to therapeutic levels for prophylactic treatment for 30 days: Tank lights off until therapeutic level is reached. Best to dose several times a day (AM, lunch, PM) rather than one large dose.
Carbon & Cuprisorb to remove copper. Water changes. Observe.
General Cure 2 doses 5-7 days apart. Turn up bubbler and turn on powerhead aimed at surface to increase O2. Like GC over Prazipro. GC has Metro + Praziquantel, so you are getting the Praziquantel which kills flukes and "some" internal parasites and Metro that kills all internal parasites/worms. And the dose of Praziquantel is lower but does the job and is easier on sensitive fish.
Carbon & water changes.
Observe 10-14 days.

I can’t get a better picture he’s moving a lot quicker than he was and in Jerky motions.

What else can I do? I’m waiting for some mess to come in the mail today. But and worried about their being a bacterial infection now.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back