Kole Tang with white patches.

TroyClark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New Kole tang with what I think are abrasion scrape marks with white skin slightly peeling. I will try to get a clear pic later. No white spots to indicate ich or velvet, breathing good, eating fine I think. I have dosed with Prozipro. I am thinking of starting a Kanaplex, Metroplex and Furan 2 regiment just to be sure.

Is this a wise way to go?

Thanks

OP
OP
TroyClark

TroyClark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is in a 29 gallon at tank now. I will try to find some metafix and try that. Thanks

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at Brooks as well if you are talking about white skin slightly peeling. Take a look and see if its what you are seeing. It's either a bacterial infection, or Brooks most likely.

OP
OP
TroyClark

TroyClark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have looked at countless photos of fish with brooklynella and none of them look similar to what i see on my Kole tang.

Thats a good sign so far.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can get a photo in white (not blue) light, that would help.

Jay

OP
OP
TroyClark

TroyClark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics

Tang.jpg Tang2.jpg Tang3.jpg Tang4.jpg Tang5.jpg Tang6.jpg

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Kole got super scraped up while catching and I did a 45 min NFG bath in case if infection. Healed right up. Hope that's all it is.

OP
OP
TroyClark

TroyClark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kole is looking pretty good today. Good color, good respiration, to frantic darting around the tank. The whitish spots seem to be dissipating a bit.

Started the tri-fecta meds today as a precaution.

Did a dose of prazipro 2 days ago also.

Hopefully he is good to go in about 4 weeks LOL.

Put some pieces of 3 inch PVC for him to hide in and feel more secure.

Would it help if I put some aragonite substrate in the QT tank also?

Also, has anyone had good luck with the Ruby Reef Rally Pro med?

Thanks

Troy

OP
OP
TroyClark

TroyClark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question.....

I usually try to quarantine all new fish (saltwater and freshwater) for 4 full weeks. But, since I have already done a Prazipro treatment and am doing a full trifecta treatment, can the quarantine length be shortened to 1 week after the final trifecta dose?

BTW the Kole is looking great and seems hungry as well. Both good signs.

Thanks

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question.....

I usually try to quarantine all new fish (saltwater and freshwater) for 4 full weeks. But, since I have already done a Prazipro treatment and am doing a full trifecta treatment, can the quarantine length be shortened to 1 week after the final trifecta dose?

BTW the Kole is looking great and seems hungry as well. Both good signs.

Thanks

Thanks for posting the pics - as you've since learned, that isn't velvet. I see excess mucus from a scrape, or some reaction to an irritant, it doesn't look infected.

My basic quarantine is 30 days copper, 2 weeks prazi (3x) and 2 weeks general observation. You've gone and done the hard work (getting the QT up and running) why cut it short (grin)?

The aragonite would help the fish feel more secure, better than a clear glass tank bottom.

Jay

OP
OP
TroyClark

TroyClark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting the pics - as you've since learned, that isn't velvet. I see excess mucus from a scrape, or some reaction to an irritant, it doesn't look infected.

My basic quarantine is 30 days copper, 2 weeks prazi (3x) and 2 weeks general observation. You've gone and done the hard work (getting the QT up and running) why cut it short (grin)?

The aragonite would help the fish feel more secure, better than a clear glass tank bottom.

Jay

Thanks for the insight Jay. Would you suggest I stop with the trifecta treatment since it doesn't appear to be an infection and I don't want to subject him to meds unnecessarily. I could just observe for a few more weeks to make sure nothing pops back up. I'm only 2 days into the treatment so its not to far along. If I do stop the trifecta, should I start a copper treatment as you said you employ? If so, what copper med would you suggest.

Sorry for so many questions but I'm am not that well versed in saltwater meds yet. I know much more about freshwater than I do saltwater but am learning. I used to have a Discus and freshwater angelfish hatchery but shut it down 12 years ago.

Thanks

Troy

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No - sorry, I was just outlining my standard QT...you should stay the course and continue with the metro/kanaplex and Furan for now. Just watch for rapid breathing or ich spots.

Jay

p.s. - I can hardly keep FW angels alive, ever since the "plague" back in the 1980s, and my discus, they just intimidate each other until there is just one left - I'll take marines over them any time (grin).

OP
OP
TroyClark

TroyClark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay, here are a few old pics of some Discus I used to have. The first pic is of a "Singles bar tank" of future breeders and the other 2 pics are some fry growing out. They were fun but alot of work.

1601380749359.png

1601380821353.png
1601380872646.png

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! Mine never look that good.

Jay

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay, here are a few old pics of some Discus I used to have. The first pic is of a "Singles bar tank" of future breeders and the other 2 pics are some fry growing out. They were fun but alot of work.

1601380749359.png

1601380821353.png
1601380872646.png
very nice i used to keep discus but this was like 19 years ago once i started having saltwater tanks i never went back to freshwater

OP
OP
TroyClark

TroyClark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following quarantine, how is the best way to make sure the media bags I pulled from the DT to make the QT ready for fish, can't transfer anything to the DT? Can I just let it dry out for a week and put back in my sump so its ready for the next quarantine?

Thanks

Troy

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd soak them in peroxide - easier to rinse off than bleach and more effective than drying.

Jay

OP
OP
TroyClark

TroyClark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of using potassium permanganate to disinfect the qt tank and all equipment following quarantine.

Would that work?

Thanks

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of using potassium permanganate to disinfect the qt tank and all equipment following quarantine.

Would that work?

Thanks

It might work, but potassium permanganate is not supposed to be used in SW, so you'd have to rinse everything off first. It can also stain some materials. It's only real application nowadays is in outdoor ponds. Since it has the same oxidizing activity as bleach or peroxide, I would just use them - and since peroxide is easiest to rinse out, that is always my choice, except for really large tanks, then I bite the bullet and go with bleach at 400 to 500 ppm. Afterwards, I rinse multiple times in FW, followed by a final fill with sodium thiosulfate (dechlor) and then drain and fill again.

Jay

Back