Kole tang

Steve Dillon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a kole tang.. he was in my 65. He is pretty small.. about 2" he had a spot on his right fin.. over night it went away.. the next day it was on the left.. it went away over night.. yesterday it had spots on both and the body.. so I moved it to qt. But today its spot free.. my question is has anyone seen this before and what is it? I started ich-x treatment but there are no signs so I wont continue past the 3 day recommended dose. Help...

Lynn52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich is cyclic. It tends to come and go but does usually get worse over time. I don't know how effective ich x is. Unfortunately your tank is now infected with ich so if you put your fish back in the tank they will get re infected. It will take around 10 - 11 week for the ich in the tank to die off if there are not fish in it.

OP
OP
Steve Dillon

Steve Dillon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.. there are other fish with no signs.. im not as sure its ich. And I dont know how effective ich x is either.. it what I could get today..

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kole tangs will also at times get into the sand or too close to coral and get spots. Could it be this? No other fish with issues? No fighting? Heater in the tank (that fish could bump or lay against)? What other fish are in the tank? No other symptoms? Specks? Fins frayed? breathing? Eating? Tiny spots on fins or on body? cloudy eyes?

Any info on acclimation to parameters to feeding to other fish will be helpful. Pics help too.

OP
OP
Steve Dillon

Steve Dillon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No heater.. no fish with any issues yet.. no corals.. only fight is with a damsel and it ended with the kole tang.. no cloudy eyes. Talbot damsel, one spot rabbit fish, pair of clowns. No other symptoms eats fine.. grazed on nori fine.. yes tiny white spots on fins and front of body.. but all gone today.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be ich, but sounds like it is fighting itself. Keep an eye out for other or worsening symptoms. Keep close attention to eyes and fins. Pics if you can when symptoms appear.

OP
OP
Steve Dillon

Steve Dillon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I will never seen this before.. ich wiped out my bio cube in 3 days.. I think im lucky if this is ich that its only the 3rd time in 7 years..

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like ich to me. If you did not properly quarantine and treat the fish prior to it going in, then it definitely is ich. IME, a good 70-90% of tangs carry ich.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich will not come and go overnight. All strains that have ever been studied, the trophonts remain on the fish for a minimum of 3 days, maximum of 7. Velvet can come and go in as little as 12 hours, but the fish would be dead by now if this was velvet.

Jeffrey Ong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

In Malaysia we have a ich medicine that use by many reefer. is was made by a reefer i hear and the ingredient no one know. But many of Malaysia reefer try and said is very effective and coral , invert safe.

I have ich in my tank , all my fish was wipe out.
Now i am doing the fellow method and also dosing the medicine in to my main tank. The treatment need to be 7 days.
You can't use any uv light while dosing this medicine. So far i have LPS and SPS in my tank also invent, all are doing fine.

I also set up a QT for all my new fish , i will Quarantine my fish at least 3week before the fish in to the main system. Other reefer that have use this medicine told me the ich will not come back once you use this medicine , the ich will be wipe out in the system. Unless you introduce new fish and they have ich issue.

OP
OP
Steve Dillon

Steve Dillon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He wants his big tank back.. guess I shouldnt have put the two tanks so close.. still looks fine. Is it possible that I have over reacted?

1451429287014.jpg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He wants his big tank back.. guess I shouldnt have put the two tanks so close.. still looks fine. Is it possible that I have over reacted?

Better safe than sorry. If he did have ich and the trophonts have all dropped off, it can take up to a month for symptoms to reappear (and sometimes then only behavioral ones.)

BTW, you saying you "put the two tanks so close" together made me think of this: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/aerosol-transmission.190292/

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back