Kole tang

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish say all goes good or bad. What's the best way to keep the qt cycled?

Aquaclear HOB - or another powerfilter/canister filter which contains bio-media capable of hosting nitrifying bacteria. Aquaclears come with a “foam insert” i.e. sponge that can be “seeded” by pouring one of those bacteria in a bottle products (exs. Bio-Spira, Seachem Stability or Dr Tim's Nitrifying Bacteria) over it just prior to use. This will give you a working bio-filter in QT. Since you've already started dosing copper, I would seed the sponge in a bucket or something a few days before placing it in the HOB. Copper will kill some (but not all) of the bacteria, so you want to allow the bacteria in the sponge time to start propagating before exposing it to copper.

OP
OP
Steve Dillon

Steve Dillon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lfs gave me this to pretreat those that show no signs.. so I said why not.. ill try anything to keep my fish alive.. they are on 3rd day of it so fingers crossed it all goes well.

1451872900216.jpg

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lfs gave me this to pretreat those that show no signs.. so I said why not.. ill try anything to keep my fish alive.. they are on 3rd day of it so fingers crossed it all goes well.

1451872900216.jpg

So odds are that isn't going to "cure" anything. It may however help the fish build up their immune systems so that they can fight off whatever they have on their own. The disease would still be present in the system, but the fish are able to live with it for a while. - just something to think about. It's not going to hurt anything to use this product if the fish are non-symptomatic and may even help some.

OP
OP
Steve Dillon

Steve Dillon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it probably wont cure anything.. but hope it buys me some time to get another qt cycled since I already have the tang up to .5 of the Cupramine. Then once my fish are out im going to let the whole 65 die.. keep the fish in qt til I get the bigger tank..

jetmaker

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it probably wont cure anything.. but hope it buys me some time to get another qt cycled since I already have the tang up to .5 of the Cupramine. Then once my fish are out im going to let the whole 65 die.. keep the fish in qt til I get the bigger tank..
Get a uv steralizer u be fine

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So all the fish - sick and not sick - are going to live in that little qt tank for x months?

Not that anybody has to care what I think, but I'm iffy on that plan. It's evolving from a treatment of a parasite into something else based on little evidence. (I won't harp on this, so feel free to ignore me.)

Why not the bigger tank?

If it's getting broken down or dying eventually anyway, why not convert it to be the new "long term" QT? Move the live rock/whatever to the little tank or buckets, etc.

OP
OP
Steve Dillon

Steve Dillon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So all the fish - sick and not sick - are going to live in that little qt tank for x months?

Not that anybody has to care what I think, but I'm iffy on that plan. It's evolving from a treatment of a parasite into something else based on little evidence. (I won't harp on this, so feel free to ignore me.)

Why not the bigger tank?

If it's getting broken down or dying eventually anyway, why not convert it to be the new "long term" QT? Move the live rock/whatever to the little tank or buckets, etc.

No the tang is one tank.. no one answered me about dripping in any of the other fish.. im trying to find a tank to set up another qt for the fox face and a pair of clowns.. they will needed to be treated for a minimum of 30 days so that would be feb.. im getting my tank in march. So why stress them moving them back to the 65 for a month.. and im not sticking copper in the big tank cause then its wasted.. thank you for your concern but give it up on how big of a tank my fish are in.. its the disease forum not the tank " POLICE"

jetmaker

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my. 02 I've been in this for 30+ yrs never had a disease in a saltwater tank but I have always ran a uv steralizer and metal halides which also put out uv I think disease has became a forfront since Led which can match kelv but not uv just my. 02

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No the tang is one tank.. no one answered me about dripping in any of the other fish.. im trying to find a tank to set up another qt for the fox face and a pair of clowns.. they will needed to be treated for a minimum of 30 days so that would be feb.. im getting my tank in march. So why stress them moving them back to the 65 for a month.. and im not sticking copper in the big tank cause then its wasted.. thank you for your concern but give it up on how big of a tank my fish are in.. its the disease forum not the tank " POLICE"

You can drip acclimate a fish into a "copper system" easily enough. Just make it slow and keep their bucket or whatever they are in aerated and heated to the temp of the QT. At the store we acclimate fish to our copper system almost weekly with little problems. We have a "fancy" setup for it though that lets us acclimate for a long period of time. Take your time and you'll be alright.

robert

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steve - Its your tank and your call - but may I suggest another way.

Continue to treat your tang - leave the other fish where thay are and watch - if you see no spots - then before you put your tang back into the DT with the rest of your fish - acclimate a black molly to salt and put it into DT. If it gets ich you know where you stand. If not - your very likely clear of the parisite.

A black molly cannot have any resistence to saltwater ich - so if there is ich - even if the other fish are showing no signs - the molly will show it. You can use guppies or mosquito fish too...same test...you might need to protect them from getting eaten however depending on what else you are keeping.

Last edited:

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Seriously? Honest questions and facts and you pull that out. Sad. Lame.

Read this if you haven't. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pdffiles/FA/FA16400.pdf

Will have nothing more to say aside from sorry for your fish.

Go @Humblefish!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^The black molly suggestion is actually a pretty good one. A molly acclimated from full FW shouldn't have resistance to any SW disease(s). And ich, velvet, brook, etc. would show up well on a black fish. Pretty good idea for "testing the waters" of any fallow tank before putting the fish in QT back in. I know public aquariums routinely use mollies to test large displays for disease, as previously discussed.

jetmaker

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You take Me out of my 2500 sq ft home and put me in 100 I'm not only be stressed I'm going to be ****ed lol

OP
OP
Steve Dillon

Steve Dillon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone.. ill update in the morning.. got some stuff to read and maybe try the molly trick.. I have learned so much in just a few days..

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back