Korallen-Zucht T5 Bulb "Great Barrier Turquoise"

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are chasing a ghost that does not really exist is what I am saying. The worst thing you can do is alter your par output because you are bored, along with duration of lighting. If you pick this tweaked spectrum, believed the marketing hype, and left it along for a year, you might have benefit. (or not)

More measurable effects in SPS are known to be effected by increasing flow, or stabilizing alk.

Ill stop there. It is your hobby in end.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

Erasmus Crowley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are chasing a ghost that does not really exist is what I am saying. The worst thing you can do is alter your par output because you are bored, along with duration of lighting. If you pick this tweaked spectrum, believed the marketing hype, and left it along for a year, you might have benefit. (or not)

More measurable effects in SPS are known to be effected by increasing flow, or stabilizing alk.

Ill stop there. It is your hobby in end.
I own a par meter. I am capable of manipulating the spectrum of light without changing the par numbers reaching my coral.

And I had to dig quite deep to discover the existence of this bulb that no one in my country is selling. If that is marketing, then they're doing a terrible job at it.

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok Just realize you manipulate it once and leave it alone. Keep changing it it terrible. Dana kept stressing flow and reducing boundary layer at corals is more important than perfect lighting.

Local club had Dana Riddle do a Zoom call here. I never join them so was good to see.

OP
OP
E

Erasmus Crowley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok Just realize you manipulate it once and leave it alone. Keep changing it it terrible. Dana kept stressing flow and reducing boundary layer at corals is more important than perfect lighting.

Local club had Dana Riddle do a Zoom call here. I never join them so was good to see.
I know that flow is important. I've also read about reducing the boundary layer around coral. In order to accomplish that I have alternating gyre flows, standing waves, and pulsing flow represented in my tank. Did you think that I was ignoring those things and only focusing on my lights?

It's also worth noting that just because flow is more important than spectrum does not imply that spectrum is useless to think about. One can tackle the most important problems and then also tackle other problems of lesser importance.

It feels like your goal is to convince me that I shouldn't care about light spectrum, and I really don't understand why you have such a hard time just accepting that it's an important part of my personal enjoyment of the hobby.

MtnDewMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I am not mistaken, this is the same bulb is it not?

OP
OP
E

Erasmus Crowley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I am not mistaken, this is the same bulb is it not?

It's not. Bulkreefsupply does not currently sell the bulb that I referred to in the thread title.

Here is the bulb that you linked to on KZ's website. Superblue 39W

Here is the bulb that the thread title is referencing, also on KZ's website. Great Barrier Turquoise 39W

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can ask BRS to pick up a case. They are not paying much attention to T5s anymore, so a smaller company might pick a few cases.

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that flow is important. I've also read about reducing the boundary layer around coral. In order to accomplish that I have alternating gyre flows, standing waves, and pulsing flow represented in my tank. Did you think that I was ignoring those things and only focusing on my lights?

It's also worth noting that just because flow is more important than spectrum does not imply that spectrum is useless to think about. One can tackle the most important problems and then also tackle other problems of lesser importance.

It feels like your goal is to convince me that I shouldn't care about light spectrum, and I really don't understand why you have such a hard time just accepting that it's an important part of my personal enjoyment of the hobby.
That is not the case. I am making assumption that you are fairly new and pitfalls are rapid changes to tank. I prefer hobbyist have a wide range of lighting options. I will admit I am not pleased with BRS and ECCOTECH domination by glossy adds. It is way of the internet though. It is important to distinguish bleed edge technology and marketing hype.

There are 100s of pigments that light up in different ways. Red fish look black at 50 meters of depth. Incredible blue corals are easy to get now that everyone is obsessed with blue lighting. There are lots of trends.

OP
OP
E

Erasmus Crowley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can ask BRS to pick up a case. They are not paying much attention to T5s anymore, so a smaller company might pick a few cases.

I did reach out to them a few days ago. Last I heard was that they were going to discuss wether or not to carry this particular bulb. They do carry other KZ bulbs though, so it shouldn't be too much extra effort to add these the next time they order bulbs. I have reasonably high hopes.

That is not the case. I am making assumption that you are fairly new and pitfalls are rapid changes to tank. I prefer hobbyist have a wide range of lighting options. I will admit I am not pleased with BRS and ECCOTECH domination by glossy adds. It is way of the internet though. It is important to distinguish bleed edge technology and marketing hype.

There are 100s of pigments that light up in different ways. Red fish look black at 50 meters of depth. Incredible blue corals are easy to get now that everyone is obsessed with blue lighting. There are lots of trends.

How are you defining 'new'? My account here on Reef2Reef was created in 2017, and I was keeping saltwater aquariums for a while before I created this account. My introduction to the hobby was from NYSteelo on YouTube, which was maybe10 years ago at this point.

Why would you go into the area of the forums specifically intended for the discussion of lighting topics, and into a thread that was dedicated to discussing a specific bulb and a specific photopigment that it might activate, and then start trying to educate me about other random topics? There is a "New to Saltwater" area of the forums for stuff like that.

OP
OP
E

Erasmus Crowley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6500k t5 for the win, hits here
That's true, there is a solid peak in the cyan range. I've seen those graphs of 6500k T5s before, but I hadn't yet connected the dots that they had a decent amount of cyan.

Unfortunately for me you also get a big peak in the red range too. The extra red would run counter to my goal of simulating the ocean at something like 10m to 30m. It looks like it could be a great choice for tanks that simulate shallow reefs, like acro tanks usually are.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's true, there is a solid peak in the cyan range. I've seen those graphs of 6500k T5s before, but I hadn't yet connected the dots that they had a decent amount of cyan.

Unfortunately for me you also get a big peak in the red range too. The extra red would run counter to my goal of simulating the ocean at something like 10m to 30m. It looks like it could be a great choice for tanks that simulate shallow reefs, like acro tanks usually are.

Red is very important,

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You need to look at some relatively cheap high CRI led Cobs..
6500k Bridgelux..

BXRC-65S4001-C-7x
34.4v @ 1170mA. 4508 lumens.
$12.57 each,

bridgeluxeb6500k.JPG

For corals..Depends on what depth you want.
Still close to 6500k though with the slight red bump.
bridgelux1m.JPG

Attachments

• DS320%20Bridgelux%20Gen%207%20V10C%20Thrive%20Array%20Rev%20A%2020191006_0[1].pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 20

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered these bulbs directly from Korallenzucht. I ordered it a few weeks ago. It’s coming from Germany and should be here any week now! :)

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took me a minute or two to figure out what the chart was saying, but once I did it really drove the point home to me how insanely overlooked that part of the spectrum is. I'm actually amazed that more people don't purposefully look for it.

There are "true actinic" evangelists preaching the "good news" about violet and UV that I've come across over the years. The violet channel in LED fixtures is a highly demanded feature.

I don't think I've ever seen the same obsession with cyan. Based on just this thread, it looks like it deserves that kind of love as much as violet and UV do.
The obsession NEEDS to be for all wavelengths to reproduce the light found in the environment you want to reproduce, not for a particular one. The balance of the full spectrum is what we should try to offer to the system as a whole, and as the basis, to keep shallow water organisms. It is very interesting to understand the functions of a particular wavelength and the participation in any aspect of light utilization, in photosynthesis or not, but the whole balanced spectrum is what makes the difference in the end.
When ANYONE comes with a boost on the importance of a certain wavelength, and it becomes an obsession, it is only a hype to sell bulbs or to prove a point. The UV is a part of the natural full spectrum of the sun, and that's the only reason why it should be considered, just as ANY other wavelength. There is much more in a balanced spectrum than in an emphasized area, thinking that area is actually more important.
For example, the "magic" bulb in a T5 fixture is the 65K lamp, not the ATI True Actinic over a system resembling a shallow water environment. You put the ATI True Actinic and you will be giving some boost in that area, but the 65K needs to be there for the balance, or you can find your bluer balance, using another "white" lamp(s).
The obsession with cyan is as bad as the obsession with UV and violet, or blue, or red, green... the balanced spectrum is the key.
This is a very interesting thread, specially for LED users.

Last edited:

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bridgelux led above is more ....balanced than a tri- phosphor t5.
Arguably a much better nm to nm output to output ratio better representation of 6509k-ish.
But do note the spike around 500nm.
Screenshot_20240219-070841.png

The blue/ green/amber spikes give it that color crispness though.
Slightly beats out the high cri led in visual pop.
Closest thing to UV is around 405-ish nm.
Dare I mention the obsession w/ UV?

Both have a bit of IR at 720.

Peridinin outnumbers chl-a
Commonly in a 4 to 1 ratio.
Energy transfer from it to chl-a is almost 100% efficient.

Has a broad green blue to green absorption.
Screenshot_20240219-073009.png

No harm in giving it some attention.
Peridinin is a light-harvesting pigment associated with chlorophyll and found in the peridinin chlorophyll binding protein (PerCP); a light harvesting protein found in dinoflagellates. The PerCP complex has a high ratio of peridinin to chlorophyll; most light-harvesting complexes contain more chlorophyll than carotenoids, but the PerCP contains eight peridinin and two chlorophyll molecules arranged to promote peridinin-chlorophyll energy transfer.

Last edited:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 43 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 47 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.1%
Back