Kp live rock. 10 lbs in water arrived today!

BRS

Tired

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Oh, yeah, that's a baby pencil urchin. IIRC they aren't exactly reef-safe once they get bigger? You'll probably want to watch it and wait for it to be on a flat surface, or on the glass, where you can peel it out without hurting it. You can probably find a taker.

Zoacoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
They have some good looking rock, I have around 40-50# of there rock in a tank. Full of life and color. I got a bunch of brittle starfish and 3 pencil urchins a few crabs that all came with the rock. The pencil urchins are in my tank still and haven't went after coral yet.

They have some of the best customer service as well. Always friendly and answer emails in timely manner.

Jrain904

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I just threw 15lbs straight into my tank. Removed a fire worm, caught him eating a shroom. All good.
20210725_163016.jpg
20210721_172857.jpg

BRS

captain_jimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Shipped in water shouldn't really need to cure much if at all. The entire point of shipping in water is to eliminate/mitigate die off.
Mine is still producing ammonia over a week later after being overnighted in water so it's not foolproof.

Might stick it in my tank today though and let all my other rocks take care of the die off.

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Curious if adding some Dr Tims or BioSpira would be a good idea when curing this stuff after shipping. Ive considered a 10 pound order for my tank just to add some life...

AS

Tired

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Curious if adding some Dr Tims or BioSpira would be a good idea when curing this stuff after shipping. Ive considered a 10 pound order for my tank just to add some life...
Those products are designed to add bacteria. Live rock shipped from the ocean will already have far more bacteria on it than those bottles provide, so there's no need to add extra. In fact, I'd wager there wouldn't be much room for the bottled bacteria to settle. It's just a matter of whether there's enough die-off that the bacteria already present get overwhelmed by the resulting ammonia.

Cell

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
What is the point of paying a premium to ship in water if you still have to cure for a week? How is that live rock not processing the ammonia? Are we sure it's not a false positive ammonia test? @brandon429 might be interested in this thread.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
When digital test kits arent available, I like the smell test.

if you don't subscribe to household palytoxin poisoning risks then lift up the rock and smell it closely. any rot above to overcome the known uptake rates for cycled rocks (many demo 5 ppm consumed within half an hour on seneye proof logs) will smell bad and it won't smell normal.

if you do subscribe to household palytoxin wipeouts then skip this test. ive smelled a lot of rocks

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED lighting
OP
T

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
What is the point of paying a premium to ship in water if you still have to cure for a week? How is that live rock not processing the ammonia? Are we sure it's not a false positive ammonia test? @brandon429 might be interested in this thread.
Actually, now that bring up the possibility of FP test, I vaguely remember this red sea ammonia test kit never resulted in a trending down ammonia level when I set up my current tank almost 2 yrs ago. It may very well be falsely positive.

Tamberav

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Guys, it smells like fresh ocean when you take a piece out to look at! The wife brought it in for me earlier so I didn't unpackage it.

This set up sufficient for keeping that color or do I need a stronger light? Theres a big ol crab in one of the pics and I saw something scurry into a crevice on the top left rock. Gosh the color is insane.

If it won't kill my tangs, wrasse, clowns or chromis its so tempting.

I see a pencil urchin and what looks to be a red mithrax crab (basically red emerald crab)

OP
T

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Regarding the crab, I read they're more likely to eat algae, but if you were going to feed the tub pellets vs frozen brine or mysis, or both, which would you opt for? The biggest critter in there, so far identified, is the red crab.

Critteraholic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Do you have a 10 gallon or any tank just lying around? Or a clear sterilite container handy? You'll be able to see your rocks better and it will allow extra light in there. :) Please keep us posted!

Oh, me being me, I would rotate foods through and I'd add an algae tab into the rotation. Don't forget to suck out any crud or rotting food! :)

Maxout
BRS

Do you quarantine new coral before adding it to your reef tank?

• YES always

Votes: 86 16.6%
  • Sometimes depending (tell us why)

Votes: 60 11.6%
  • NO never

Votes: 358 69.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 15 2.9%
Zoanthids.com