Kp live rock. 10 lbs in water arrived today!

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh, yeah, that's a baby pencil urchin. IIRC they aren't exactly reef-safe once they get bigger? You'll probably want to watch it and wait for it to be on a flat surface, or on the glass, where you can peel it out without hurting it. You can probably find a taker.

Zoacoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have some good looking rock, I have around 40-50# of there rock in a tank. Full of life and color. I got a bunch of brittle starfish and 3 pencil urchins a few crabs that all came with the rock. The pencil urchins are in my tank still and haven't went after coral yet.

They have some of the best customer service as well. Always friendly and answer emails in timely manner.

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just threw 15lbs straight into my tank. Removed a fire worm, caught him eating a shroom. All good.
20210725_163016.jpg
20210721_172857.jpg

OP
OP
T

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep a close eye on your ammonia. Maybe no issue putting into established tank thatll handle it. My 10 pounds has the 15 gallon tub at about 1ppm this morning.

OP
OP
T

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just offering objective evidence. Ammonia 1ppm under a day (and after 50% WC) of arriving, shipped in water.

captain_jimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shipped in water shouldn't really need to cure much if at all. The entire point of shipping in water is to eliminate/mitigate die off.
Mine is still producing ammonia over a week later after being overnighted in water so it's not foolproof.

Might stick it in my tank today though and let all my other rocks take care of the die off.

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Curious if adding some Dr Tims or BioSpira would be a good idea when curing this stuff after shipping. Ive considered a 10 pound order for my tank just to add some life...

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its going into a system with a biological filter already established then i wouldn't worry about die off. If its going to sit in a bucket then I would expect Ammonia spike.

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No matter how fresh ocean rock is I believe it still needs to adjust to aquarium demands when it comes to filtering ammonia. It seems to adapt very quickly but certainly not instantly.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Curious if adding some Dr Tims or BioSpira would be a good idea when curing this stuff after shipping. Ive considered a 10 pound order for my tank just to add some life...
Those products are designed to add bacteria. Live rock shipped from the ocean will already have far more bacteria on it than those bottles provide, so there's no need to add extra. In fact, I'd wager there wouldn't be much room for the bottled bacteria to settle. It's just a matter of whether there's enough die-off that the bacteria already present get overwhelmed by the resulting ammonia.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the point of paying a premium to ship in water if you still have to cure for a week? How is that live rock not processing the ammonia? Are we sure it's not a false positive ammonia test? @brandon429 might be interested in this thread.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When digital test kits arent available, I like the smell test.

if you don't subscribe to household palytoxin poisoning risks then lift up the rock and smell it closely. any rot above to overcome the known uptake rates for cycled rocks (many demo 5 ppm consumed within half an hour on seneye proof logs) will smell bad and it won't smell normal.

if you do subscribe to household palytoxin wipeouts then skip this test. ive smelled a lot of rocks

Oldsman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interested to see the kinds of fauna that shows up ! I'm definitely ordering live rock when setting up larger tank. The stuff I picked up from a lfs would be better used for mixing w blacktop

OP
OP
T

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the point of paying a premium to ship in water if you still have to cure for a week? How is that live rock not processing the ammonia? Are we sure it's not a false positive ammonia test? @brandon429 might be interested in this thread.
Actually, now that bring up the possibility of FP test, I vaguely remember this red sea ammonia test kit never resulted in a trending down ammonia level when I set up my current tank almost 2 yrs ago. It may very well be falsely positive.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, it smells like fresh ocean when you take a piece out to look at! The wife brought it in for me earlier so I didn't unpackage it.

This set up sufficient for keeping that color or do I need a stronger light? Theres a big ol crab in one of the pics and I saw something scurry into a crevice on the top left rock. Gosh the color is insane.

If it won't kill my tangs, wrasse, clowns or chromis its so tempting.

I see a pencil urchin and what looks to be a red mithrax crab (basically red emerald crab)

OP
OP
T

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding the crab, I read they're more likely to eat algae, but if you were going to feed the tub pellets vs frozen brine or mysis, or both, which would you opt for? The biggest critter in there, so far identified, is the red crab.

Critteraholic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a 10 gallon or any tank just lying around? Or a clear sterilite container handy? You'll be able to see your rocks better and it will allow extra light in there. :) Please keep us posted!

Oh, me being me, I would rotate foods through and I'd add an algae tab into the rotation. Don't forget to suck out any crud or rotting food! :)

Back