KP Live Rock Stuff - IDs, please.

>>klong<<

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This live rock from KP Aquatics is amazing stuff to stare at. A couple months in, and I'm still mesmerized by it. Can anyone help with IDs for the following?

I'm assuming this is just a sponge. It grew that nozzle just recently.

IMG_1363.jpeg

There's a bunch of this black stuff. Also a sponge?
IMG_1366.jpeg

No idea - algae or something more interesting?

IMG_1364.jpeg

Is this nuisance algae or something that I should not try to kill?

IMG_1365.jpeg

OP
OP
>>klong<<

>>klong<<

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, not all good. With only whites on to take photos today, I discovered this. I'm considering some peppermint shrimp or a Berghia nudibranch.
IMG_1368.jpeg

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, not all good. With only whites on to take photos today, I discovered this. I'm considering some peppermint shrimp or a Berghia nudibranch.
IMG_1368.jpeg
Bartholomea annulata.(Curleycue anemone)

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This live rock from KP Aquatics is amazing stuff to stare at. A couple months in, and I'm still mesmerized by it. Can anyone help with IDs for the following?

I'm assuming this is just a sponge. It grew that nozzle just recently.

IMG_1363.jpeg

There's a bunch of this black stuff. Also a sponge?
IMG_1366.jpeg

No idea - algae or something more interesting?

IMG_1364.jpeg

Is this nuisance algae or something that I should not try to kill?

IMG_1365.jpeg
Google Hypnea pannosa algea.

OP
OP
>>klong<<

>>klong<<

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
>>klong<<

>>klong<<

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my second shipment of KP live rock. Extremely happy. Find new stuff every day.

This rock is from a small Waterbox 20 cube. I'm considering replacing a lot of the dry rock in my Reefer 350 with KP. The rock is so awesome. I did have one fireworm that I pulled off of the rock, but that's been the only baddie so far. There was also a mantis in the bottom of the shipping box that I decided not to keep.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, another good guy, don't kill it!
I second this. Do not kill this. Here is a quick rundown from one of my replies to another thread.

Bartholomea annulata Aka Curlique Anemone

They can get to about 1.5” across and 4” long. Not super sticky and not very aggressive, in terms of catching fish.

They are photosynthetic, but would love a little bit of mysis every now and again. Not needed though. They do resemble aiptaisa when smaller or stressed, but they do not reproduce like they do, as they are spawn only and do not bud. They may split under severe stress, but it is rare.

They are typically shallow water to about 50’, so they are capable of handling high par.

Like a bta, they may walk a bit to find a good spot, but they typically do not detach from the rock or substrate when moving.

Yours is adjusting right now, so will not be all frilly like they get for now. Give it time and it will get like the photos you see on google.

Ok enough ranking about it.

Awesome find. There were the first nems I kept in a tank 30 years ago lol. They are still one of my favorites due to that.

OP
OP
>>klong<<

>>klong<<

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope I didn’t kill them. There were 2. I kalk pasted them into their hole for 5 mins. I then saw that I did a bad thing and blew the kalk off the rock. My pH is now up to 8.66, but looks like it’s settling out. Should I change some water or let it be?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope I didn’t kill them. There were 2. I kalk pasted them into their hole for 5 mins. I then saw that I did a bad thing and blew the kalk off the rock. My pH is now up to 8.66, but looks like it’s settling out. Should I change some water or let it be?
The ph will drop naturally. Kalk ph boost is only temporary. That is why when using it, it has to be dropped or dosed regularly.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 167 62.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 26.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 70 26.0%
Back