OP
OP
Krokilus

Krokilus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alrighty update time cyano has been defeated but now i have 2 types of green algae one is a wire algae and the other appears from my research to be some type of chaeto possibly. But nothing my three turbo snails and the pencil urchin cant keep up with.

OP
OP
Krokilus

Krokilus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In other news the coral is all corloring up nicely and many are growing like weeds in fact i am having trouble increasing alk as everytime i make a small adjustment thier usage seems to go up as well so my alk is going down i think i finally got ahead of the curve just watching it to make sure it doesnt climbing instead.

OP
OP
Krokilus

Krokilus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The leather has attached itself to its new rock and is extremely happy. Great polyp extension.

The superman monti i thought completely died out has come back with some phenomenal color.

The blue digitata monti which accidently got broke when i got it is doing great in both spots.

The forest fire monti is showing small signs of growth.

The gold psammacora is starting to grow like a weed.

The maze brain is chugging alomg and looks great.

The red velvet micromussa is doing good although its the only coral that has been upset the last couple days.

My other micro lord also has orange between the green center and purple outer ring but is fat and happy.

The uc tanzanite favia is growing and doing great.

The orange eye echinata seems to be happy and possibly growing.

The sockeye favia is doing good the one exception here is the side that i cant get light to. But the side facing the light is already griwn over the plug and is close to moving onto the rock below.

The other micro lord that was making a come back continues to do so.

The fireworks lord has yet to get its color back its alive and fleshy but not really growing.

My zoas went through a rough patch leaving me with a single head of my oringle colony. Good news is they all seem happy now.

Palys never had the issue the zoas did and have been bright and extended.

The continue to migrate but bright and wonderful.

Last but not least the metallic gsp is finally starting to spread hooefully soon i start to have a gsp backdrop.

Final note as i was typing all this up i noticed several area that were white or whitish are showing the signs of coralline algae growth some spots its completely filled in others only have the pinkish/purple haze on the rock work but the haze is throughout the tank basically.

Alright everyone have a great week and ill try to remember to post some pics later this week when i have time.

OP
OP
Krokilus

Krokilus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry its been 3 months but I finally feel like talking again between everything getting turned upside down at work with

my boss getting fired and other changes but, the biggest reason is I had a almost complete wipe of the tank and it was

the first time I couldn't find a reason for what was happening and still don't know what happened all parameters had

zero to very little movement. I lost both clowns almost all of my sps, half my lps, and the largest mushroom. To make

matters worst all of this put me into a depression for a couple months but testing isnt showing any issues even checked

for electric currents but nothing so now im working on getting the tank cleaned back up.

OP
OP
Krokilus

Krokilus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have purchased an ro/di system finally and will be mixing water at home for water changes after this issue came up just to be sure of what is in my water. It also will be cheaper and easier to keep my auto topoff filled.

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely painful to hear the challenges your tank is going through. Glad to hear your hanging in there.

For me, and I am sure it's for many as well, reefing is therapy for life :)

OP
OP
Krokilus

Krokilus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely painful to hear the challenges your tank is going through. Glad to hear your hanging in there.

I have a GHL profilux 4e, KH director, and slave dose pump on the way, i found that my alk kept dropping so i think the sps loss was due to this, still dont know what took out the 2 fish overnight though.

OP
OP
Krokilus

Krokilus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ATI dose pump works great but its a

lot of work to zero in the correct dose of

things and to make things worse the alk li

e popped off so im going to go out on a

limb and guess that was the cause of my

alk drop. Im switching to the GHL for

increased stability and control as my

magnesium was a little high but the only

way to stop the ati from dosing is to

remove the dosing solution.

OP
OP
Krokilus

Krokilus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It mainly sucked to have that happen right after i had finally beat the cyano and got all my coral growing.

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stability is good for sure.

something to consider...with water change, know the ALK of the water mix as it could have a big impact on your system depending on the amount of water change you do. Ideally it's close to what is in the tank would be ideal. Smaller water change is a good precaution.

OP
OP
Krokilus

Krokilus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are stable and at least the toadstool is happy still havent set up the new ghl stuff since i may be moving soon. So just focusing on stability.

OP
OP
Krokilus

Krokilus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright I realize I have been mia for over a year but my tank ended up with an explosion of vermetid snails after the crash and once things got stable which I lost the leather the last remaining coral I had in the tank after the crash. So I shut it down and dried out the rock till I moved which ended up being March of this year instead of September of last year.

OP
OP
Krokilus

Krokilus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once moved and settled in I setup a Rubbermaid trashcan with all my rock not just what came out of the tank as well as 3 ceramic bio cubes and used brightwells dry rock starter kit to get my rock back to being full of beneficial bacteria

OP
OP
Krokilus

Krokilus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I let that run with about 10 - 12 gallons of water with one of my return pumps from tank to move the water and my tanks heater set to 77 degrees for about 5 weeks like that while doing water changes and feeding a drop of ammonia a week to keep the bacteria happy.

OP
OP
Krokilus

Krokilus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While the rock was curing I built a new stand for the tank and deep cleaned all the tanks equipment. Found my protein skimmers pump had failed but I shouldn't need a protein skimmer and if I do I can order a new pump to get it going.

OP
OP
Krokilus

Krokilus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally got the tank back up and running this past weekend. I used all the rock I had cured plus all the water plus mixed another 10 gallons of fresh saltwater which afterward my ammonia is 0 l, nitrites are 0, and nitrates about a 10 but have enough saltwater premixed to do my first WC this next weekend.

OP
OP
Krokilus

Krokilus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After consideration I will be doing a softie only tank with maybe something like a scoly in the sand in front of the scape but I doubt it. Keeping it simple this time

OP
OP
Krokilus

Krokilus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a couple fts of the tank right after setting up.

Attachments

• IMG_20220819_232410317_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220819_232410317_HDR.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20220819_232403760_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220819_232403760_HDR.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 38
OP
OP
Krokilus

Krokilus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 30 - 40 lbs of LR in that scape and it's very porous rock, I also have the 3 ceramic cubes in rear sump 2nd section between overflow chamber and return chamber they are in my in tank media basket so I can lift them out when needed.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back