ksfulk's Red Sea Reefer 525xL

Giraffe0621

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's good to know that *most* things will pull through this debacle like champs -- hopefully the zoas will change their minds.

Good luck paying the Emeralds for all their overtime work on the bubble algae ;)

OP
OP
ksfulk

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank and some great looking corals! Glad everything still looks great even with no puko!

Thanks! Its a work in progress, but its nice to see that everything is stable enough to handle the occasional hiccup, even if its for a week.

It's good to know that *most* things will pull through this debacle like champs -- hopefully the zoas will change their minds.

Good luck paying the Emeralds for all their overtime work on the bubble algae ;)

Im guessing the those couple of zoas that are angry will likely be toast shortly. Generally when they close up that tight, its already a loosing battle. It may be that they just didnt adapt to my system very well, as I know the vendor runs a higher alk and nutrient level than this tank. Or it could be that I went from tons of flow and low nutrients, to little flow and higher nutrients, back to the beginning... Or maybe they are just jerks and hate me?

Its not too bad, only three different zoas reacted this way, the others (more established colonies) have had no issues at all. The only reason I mentioned it was that they were named variants that are a bit more expensive (WWC Twizzlers, CC Triple Sec, and CC Rainbow Hornets) that I had picked out specifically for those areas. I picked up those three zoa frags, as well as two others (WWC Purple Monsters, and a random unnamed blue skirt) and the Monsters and the random are fine - even popped out another polyp or two since Ive purchased them. Just weird stuff. Luckily, there's another Cherry Corals live sale coming up in August that I'm sure to pick up some more corals from. :D

And I hear that emeralds work for peanuts... but that seems weird since they live underwater. ;) How goes your build? I dont think Ive seen anything new pop into my feed for a while - is the Reefer reduction going on as planned, or did something come up?

Giraffe0621

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Its a work in progress, but its nice to see that everything is stable enough to handle the occasional hiccup, even if its for a week.

Im guessing the those couple of zoas that are angry will likely be toast shortly. Generally when they close up that tight, its already a loosing battle. It may be that they just didnt adapt to my system very well, as I know the vendor runs a higher alk and nutrient level than this tank. Or it could be that I went from tons of flow and low nutrients, to little flow and higher nutrients, back to the beginning... Or maybe they are just jerks and hate me?

Its not too bad, only three different zoas reacted this way, the others (more established colonies) have had no issues at all. The only reason I mentioned it was that they were named variants that are a bit more expensive (WWC Twizzlers, CC Triple Sec, and CC Rainbow Hornets) that I had picked out specifically for those areas. I picked up those three zoa frags, as well as two others (WWC Purple Monsters, and a random unnamed blue skirt) and the Monsters and the random are fine - even popped out another polyp or two since Ive purchased them. Just weird stuff. Luckily, there's another Cherry Corals live sale coming up in August that I'm sure to pick up some more corals from. :D

And I hear that emeralds work for peanuts... but that seems weird since they live underwater. ;) How goes your build? I dont think Ive seen anything new pop into my feed for a while - is the Reefer reduction going on as planned, or did something come up?

I wish I had more news to share! Landlord finally agreed to a smaller tank, in writing, with a "no backsies" clause added, given his previous move.

I ordered a Reefer 250 back on the 19th, hadn't heard anything about it arriving, so I checked in today & for whatever reason, the tank never shipped last Friday when it should have. Supposedly it's shipping today. We shall see!

I've collected most of my equipment, though no rocks yet. Still contemplating live rock from TBS, which I know many will disagree with (and strongly).

So I've been reading a ton, living vicariously through everyone else's tanks & being grateful that by the time I get a tank up and running, there hopefully won't be any more 95+ days of summer to fry my tank (at least this year)!

OP
OP
ksfulk

ksfulk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I had more news to share! Landlord finally agreed to a smaller tank, in writing, with a "no backsies" clause added, given his previous move.

I ordered a Reefer 250 back on the 19th, hadn't heard anything about it arriving, so I checked in today & for whatever reason, the tank never shipped last Friday when it should have. Supposedly it's shipping today. We shall see!

I've collected most of my equipment, though no rocks yet. Still contemplating live rock from TBS, which I know many will disagree with (and strongly).

So I've been reading a ton, living vicariously through everyone else's tanks & being grateful that by the time I get a tank up and running, there hopefully won't be any more 95+ days of summer to fry my tank (at least this year)!

Thats good that you've at least gotten that far. The landlord pulling that at the last minute was a jerk move, but you'll at least get something to work with. I think when mine shipped from Texas, it took about three days for the pallet to get to Detroit, and then because of scheduling the smaller truck, it was another 3-4 days before it got to my house. Just remember to open up the crate and inspect it all before signing and letting the driver leave. If you can, a drill/electric screwdriver with a phillips (+) bit at the ready will make this much easier :)

As for the TBS rock, I think as long as you understand what you are getting into, there is no "best" kind/way. With that type of rock, I wouldnt worry much about rockscaping right away, and would instead toss it all in the tank and do some heavy observation over the next week or three so if there is a mantis shrimp, some mega-evil crab or glass anemones, you can take care of it right away without ruining your final product. After its been in there for a while and you cant find anything else that you want out, then plan the rock stack/scape to your hearts content. I've never used the stuff before, but those tanks Ive see that have look incredible right out of the gate and have seemingly fewer issues with nuisance algaes and stalling nitrogen cycles.

Giraffe0621

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats good that you've at least gotten that far. The landlord pulling that at the last minute was a jerk move, but you'll at least get something to work with. I think when mine shipped from Texas, it took about three days for the pallet to get to Detroit, and then because of scheduling the smaller truck, it was another 3-4 days before it got to my house. Just remember to open up the crate and inspect it all before signing and letting the driver leave. If you can, a drill/electric screwdriver with a phillips (+) bit at the ready will make this much easier :)

As for the TBS rock, I think as long as you understand what you are getting into, there is no "best" kind/way. With that type of rock, I wouldnt worry much about rockscaping right away, and would instead toss it all in the tank and do some heavy observation over the next week or three so if there is a mantis shrimp, some mega-evil crab or glass anemones, you can take care of it right away without ruining your final product. After its been in there for a while and you cant find anything else that you want out, then plan the rock stack/scape to your hearts content. I've never used the stuff before, but those tanks Ive see that have look incredible right out of the gate and have seemingly fewer issues with nuisance algaes and stalling nitrogen cycles.

I must have jinxed myself. Tank "missed the truck." Again. As in I ordered it 7/19, but it won't ship until 8/4. Upside? It's a lesson in patience. One of many to come building a reef, I'm guessing :)

You nailed it with my current tentative TBS game plan. Procure & observe. Hell, the tank will still have more to watch in that first month than it would otherwise with normal rock cycling, right?

OP
OP
ksfulk

ksfulk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must have jinxed myself. Tank "missed the truck." Again. As in I ordered it 7/19, but it won't ship until 8/4. Upside? It's a lesson in patience. One of many to come building a reef, I'm guessing :)

You nailed it with my current tentative TBS game plan. Procure & observe. Hell, the tank will still have more to watch in that first month than it would otherwise with normal rock cycling, right?

Ha! Im jealous already. Way back on page 2 or 3 of this build thread, I took a picture of the first sign of life in this tank - a lone asterina star that managed to somehow sneak into the tank. Ive always loved watching all of the little bits of life in the tank, perhaps moreso than the fish and corals themselves. Getting TBS rock that is teeming with life that is shipped so they can actually survive the trip, thats awesome.

As for the shipping - it Murphys Law in full effect :) Thats my kind of luck most of the time. :D

OP
OP
ksfulk

ksfulk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The "fun" continues!!!

I was able to start up some maintenance that I've been putting off due to the issues with equipment, but since it's all been running good, I was ready for monthly cleanings. I made up 30 gallons of saltwater and heated it up last night, so today I pulled out the bucket top shop vac and pulled out the vectra, zeolite reactor and my skimmer so I could vacuum the sump of all the detritus from the past two months. I scrubbed all of the pipes and such, vacuumed out about ten gallons of water and cleaned off my probes. Found that my alkalinity line was crusting all over the bottom of the holder, so I moved the line to a dedicated holder that's out of the water a bit. No big deal. I pulled out the deltec and gave it a thorough cleaning as well - but much to my surprise, when it was put back together... the pump wouldn't start back up! :mad: ;Dead

I did some basic troubleshooting, but nothing seemed to work. I reached out to Adam, figuring I'd hear back about my warranty and options tomorrow sometime. lol and behold, I got an email about forty minutes later letting me know that he'd get a new block out to me in the morning - and he apologized for the issue and that he didn't get back to me sooner!

With a response like that, why would you do business anywhere else? I've had only a few issues with equipment in my years of reefing, but I cannot think of a single time that any R2R vendor has disappointed. Far and away, the vendors here are amazing to work with and stand by their products. I'm super happy, even while irked that the equipment is broken.

IMG_1923.JPG
IMG_1924.JPG
IMG_1926.JPG
IMG_1927.JPG
IMG_1930.JPG
IMG_1932.JPG

OP
OP
ksfulk

ksfulk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day five without a skimmer...

Good news is that Adam got me a new skimmer motor block by Wednesday.

Bad news - apparently that wasn't the problem :(

So, I've got a whole new DC pump/controller/transformer assembly on its way to me from Deltec. Hopefully that solves the problem. If not, then looks like I'm either switching to an AC motor block, or investing in a new skimmer.

Still everything is looking great, but ALk demand has gone WAY down, so I'm having to dial back my dosing to stay within parameters. Hopefully once things are back to being stable, the growth will kick back into high gear and we'll be able to celebrate the tanks 1 year anniversary with some cool before and after shots.

I also found another aiptasia, so I went after it with superglue and anger. The result of which was a bit of reworked rock work, lol. Still might have to move the gorgonian, as when it sweeps around it irritates the acros it rubs against.

I'm also starting to get the itch for more fish, but I keep talking myself out of it. I'd really like to get two more wrasses (carpenters and a hooded fairy or rhomboid) and a Bellus angel and maybe another couple of anthias - either some more carberryi or resplendants. *sigh* So many fish, so small of a tank :rolleyes:

IMG_1955.JPG
IMG_1959.JPG
IMG_1960.JPG

UABsleeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank has not been able to catch a break over the last month or so... hope they get the whole skinner thing worked out soon.. your tank is still looking awesome!

Btw that wrasse in the back is beautiful.. what kind is it?
43e93a54a8eb2906f944344d79476831.jpg

OP
OP
ksfulk

ksfulk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank has not been able to catch a break over the last month or so... hope they get the whole skinner thing worked out soon.. your tank is still looking awesome!

Btw that wrasse in the back is beautiful.. what kind is it?
43e93a54a8eb2906f944344d79476831.jpg

Thanks. Its definitely on its way, but not quite there yet. I think its important to not only talk about all of the good stuff when documenting a tank build, but also talking about the stuff that goes wrong too. Its all important.

That is an ornate leopard wrasse (Macropharyngodon ornatus) female. I've had that one about 2 years or so now. She's also the reason I have little shells littering my sandbed. Luckily I have some pretty fertile stomatella snails, so her snacking doesn't decimate the population too bad.

Giraffe0621

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Quick question -- I checked in with BRS again about my tank & they're saying from the date it shipped (8/4) it could be 2-4 weeks for delivery? Granted, I'm getting impatient as I originally ordered it 7/19 and it "missed being shipped" somehow for 2 weeks. But is that a normal time frame for RedSea or BRS? Seems like a really long time :(

OP
OP
ksfulk

ksfulk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question -- I checked in with BRS again about my tank & they're saying from the date it shipped (8/4) it could be 2-4 weeks for delivery? Granted, I'm getting impatient as I originally ordered it 7/19 and it "missed being shipped" somehow for 2 weeks. But is that a normal time frame for RedSea or BRS? Seems like a really long time :(

Hmmm... I looked back at mine and I ordered the tank on Aug 14 and it showed up on the 29th. From my understanding, BRS just authorizes RedSea to ship the tank, and from there its in RedSea's hands to get the tank scheduled and with the freight hauler. I was told it might be 2-3 weeks depending on their shipping routes. BRS was able to get me the tracking number for the freight company from RedSea once it shipped, so then I was able to track it. Took two or three days from Texas to Detroit, then another few days to get with the freight forwarder to schedule delivery. If I recall correctly, they only ship on certain days, so if the truck headed your way is filled with other customer tanks, it might get bumped (purely speculative on my part though). I believe you can also call Red Sea US and speak with them directly about it as well, rather than having to go through BRS as an intermediate.

Giraffe0621

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Kris, I'm Feel silly that I didn't think to just call RedSea directly!

RedSea gave me the freight tracking number and it's estimated to be delivered Thursday. Trying to call them now to confirm that & schedule an appointment for the delivery. Glad I looked into it, since I'll need to find coverage for work :mad:

OP
OP
ksfulk

ksfulk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Kris, I'm Feel silly that I didn't think to just call RedSea directly!

RedSea gave me the freight tracking number and it's estimated to be delivered Thursday. Trying to call them now to confirm that & schedule an appointment for the delivery. Glad I looked into it, since I'll need to find coverage for work :mad:

Well, its not intuative, thats for sure. And the only way I knew about that was the CS rep at BRS mentioned it! :D

So if its coming on Thursday, we can expect a fully operation and running reef by next week, right?:rolleyes:

OP
OP
ksfulk

ksfulk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just some junky photos from the tank. Still waiting for a replacement pump for my skimmer.

IMG_1981.JPG
IMG_1979.JPG
IMG_1977.JPG

Walked into one of my LFS and saw this massive Squamosa in their frag tank. The picture is crap because it's all blue light but the thing was about 14" log and over 10" tall.

IMG_1972.JPG

Anyhow - I picked up these kids and we're starting QT all over again.

IMG_1974.JPG

Giraffe0621

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those look like some pretty sullen-looking kids! Cardinals always look like they're PO'd at the world to me :mad: Cracks me up every time!

So wait, both your return pump & skimmer pump died within a week or two of each other? What kind of crazy bad luck cloud is passing over Michigan right now?

btw Kris, my tank showed up Friday! thanks for all of the encouragement & answering silly questions. Started my build thread, so I'm SURE there will be plenty more to come!

OP
OP
ksfulk

ksfulk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those look like some pretty sullen-looking kids! Cardinals always look like they're PO'd at the world to me :mad: Cracks me up every time!

So wait, both your return pump & skimmer pump died within a week or two of each other? What kind of crazy bad luck cloud is passing over Michigan right now?

btw Kris, my tank showed up Friday! thanks for all of the encouragement & answering silly questions. Started my build thread, so I'm SURE there will be plenty more to come!

Yup - pretty great streak of luck that I run. ;Blackeye Still, the tank is looking ok, and Im still seeing growth, even though Im attempting to thwart it at nearly every turn. I had to tear apart some of the rockwork on the right hand side of the tank, as a single aiptasia appeared, and I had to work some superglue magic. Unfortunately that means cutting all of the zipties and unstacking that side. I did an ok job putting it back where it belongs, but its clearly not as it was before. Still - alkalinity consumption is increasing and Im starting to see a few of the acros take off which is pretty cool.

Ive kept bangaii's nearly the entire time Ive kept saltwater tanks. They are one of my favorite fish and Ive been wanting a pair for a while now. I got a good deal on this pair - but since they are "bonded" and not mated, Im watching them closely, as they could be juvenile males and, well, that wont do if I want some baby bangaiis.

Good to hear the tank finally got there and you're on your way! I'll have to find the thread when I get a break from chores this evening :D

OP
OP
ksfulk

ksfulk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not sure if there were two juvenile males or the female just wasn't very robust, but either way I lost one of the bangaii. The other is doing well, as seen in the video above. Going to have to look for a female this weekend if I get a chance to cruise some of the local stores.

Still no skimmer pump. I'm trying to not gripe about it too much. Customer service has been great, just issues because the replacement is coming from a third party. Having to clean the glass everyday and swap the socks everyday as well - the sand is looking gross too. Oddly, most of the acros are doing fine. The derasa clam is grumpy, but it's more likely that because of the rock movement the flow in the tank changed a bit and now the tangs poop right on top of it ;Dead

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 76 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back