ksfulk's Red Sea Reefer 525xL

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Made a trade recently for a hippo tang that was fat and happy and have spent the last few weeks running it through TTM and Prazi rounds. Its been in the acclimation box since Friday night, but none of the other fish seem to even notice it. So its swimming out free and happy. Also started working on the aiptasia problem with some local berghia which are starting to clear up a few of the pest anemones (I think three small ones have vanished so far, but PROGRESS!!! ;Smug)

Missed out on Cherry's holiday live sale, which is kind of a bummer, but I'm planning on heading over there in January to stick shop so I'll get over it. Ive also signed up for the Battlecorals grow out contest with the Vivid's Rainbow acropora which should show up the first week of January. I think things are going nicely - Im starting to take a look at some of the more expensive sticks on my list and debating on if I should start checking some of them off of my list. ;Nailbiting

Glad to see it in a bigger tank than mine :)

OP
OP
ksfulk

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are going well... had a bit of a growth spurt in the tank over the last week, as Alk consumption has risen from 27mL to 35.7mL since December 17th. I’ve got it relatively stable now at 7.1 dKH which is up a bit from my usual average of 6.7dKH, but that’s fine.

Have seen some strange issues with one of my chalices - this gem has been growing just fine for months but has started losing flesh rapidly in the past four or five days. There is nothing around this guy, nor did I find any pests when staking it out for a few hours after lights off as well. A bit bummed, as I really like this one, but the others seem to be fine, so I might just chalk it up to the reef gods and move on.

Another short vacation away from the tank and then back to normal things. Happy New Year!!!

C4FB89E5-A6A8-4063-9C0D-BE9C893773DA.jpeg
6CEF2611-FE4B-413E-A4C3-649E7FFAAED9.jpeg

OP
OP
ksfulk

ksfulk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Random Update

When I started this tank, I decided I would write out a list of corals and fish that I really wanted to keep - either because I liked them, had seen them in someone elses tank or because I thought it would go well with the theme. I wrote them all down on a dry erase board thats been sitting behind the fish room door for a long time and as things have progressed, Ive crossed items off as Ive come across them.

In the last handful of months, Ive come pretty close to crossing off nearly all of those items on the list (though the fish list lies largely untouched due to current tank inhabitants) and I thought it might be neat to post that list up and have it documented here in my build thread. I've really gotten most of them at this point, though some are a bit harder to obtain OR they are priced at a point where Im not comfortable purchasing them yet. Ive marked the not gotten ones with an asterisk ( * ).

Acropora sp :
WT Mother of Pearl
Tyree Red Dragon
Tierra del Fuego
BC Spainbow
Pink Lemonade
GARF Bonsai
ORA Pearlberry
Rommel's Watermelon Millepora
PC Rainbow
PC Superman
UC Strawberry Shortcake
RR Aussie Gold
ORA Frogskin
ORA Borealis
ORA Hawkins Echinata
ORA Miami Orchid
ORA Red Planet
ORA Plum Crazy
*Oregon Tort
Orange Tipped Albrolhosensis / AV99's Orange Tip
California Tort
RR Grapejuice
Sunset Millepora
Paletta Pink Tip
Greg Carroll's Ultimate Efflo
JF Fox Flame
Vivid's Rainbow Delight (Hooray BC Grow out Competition!)
*WD Tenius
*Shawn Bennett Yellow Tort
Palmer's Blue Millepora
*ASD Rainbow Millie
*CC Hellboy
*JF Homewrecker
*Purple Monster

Chalice:
Mummy Eye Chalice
Pink ******* Chalice

Zoas:
Rastas
Candy Apple Reds
CC Cherry Novas
Utter Chaos
Scrambled Eggs
Fruit Loops

Fish:
Desjardini Sailfin Tang
*Masked Swallowtail Angel (owned)
*Yellow Pyramid Butterfly (owned)
*Potter's Angelfish
*Resplendent Anthias
*McCosker's Flasher Wrasse (owned)
* Rhomboid Fairy Wrasse
*Pintail Fairy Wrasse
Ornate Leopard Wrasse
Carberryi Anthias

That said, I really posted this up because after two years of searching, I managed to find an elusive item on my list - Palmer's Blue Millepora. Its been sold out or wiped out entirely by my go to vendors for sps, so its been slim pickings for the list. However, I was perusing R2R the other night and when I was going through the thread about one of the moderator's recent loss to a fire, I noted that one of the vendors here (BoomCorals) was kicking in a bit extra money for donation, as well as doing some other rather stand up type things to help out the community. I figured that I could support someone who runs their business that way and checked out his website. Lo and behold... there was the Palmers!

So, I picked up a handful of nice looking sticks and made an order that should be here in the next week or so and can cross another stick off my list. Couple that with my pick up of the Vivid Rainbow Delight and a JF Fox Flame from Adam (BattleCorals), Ive managed to write off three corals from the list in two weeks :D Unfortunately what that means is that the ones I have left are all super expensive, so I either need to resign to them being on the list for forever, or start saving up some money... too bad I want a new Apex this year too :(

Anyhow, here's some vendor pictures of the corals Im getting from Matt (BoomCorals) next week. These are from his website, so I'll take some comparison pictures once I get them in. I also think Im heading over to CherryCorals in the next week or so to do some "horse-trading" and see if I cant find something else from the list in Brett's tank.

Alien Antivenom Zoas
Alien Antivenom.jpg

CB Bubblegum Digi
CBBubblegumDigi.jpg

Cliff's Acropora
CliffsAcro.jpeg

Palmer's Blue Millepora :D
PalmersBlueMillie.jpg

Red Tabling Hyanithus
RedTablingHycanthus (1).jpg

JKR White Rose
WhiteRose (1).jpg

WWC Ding Dang Millepora
WWCDingDangMillie.jpg

OP
OP
ksfulk

ksfulk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emptied the frag racks this morning with a visit to Brett at Cherry Corals - figures the weather would make the drive there miserable. Anyhow, was nice to make a visit over there and see all the gorgeous corals there and what’s brewing in the systems there - should be an awesome live sale in March :D

I came home with only two pieces - but there are nice ones: ARC Fireworks and JF Homewrecker!!! :eek::eek::eek:

They acclimated and dipped this afternoon and are sitting on my consolidated frag rack (down to 1 from 3). Only a few corals left on the list - which is a little scary! Still - I don’t think I’ve been more paranoid popping something off a frag plug ever.

7BE1D747-7103-4E69-B960-A245BDCF6ECE.jpeg
C713D5A8-8E3D-4AFC-AF00-91EB06ABD614.jpeg

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emptied the frag racks this morning with a visit to Brett at Cherry Corals - figures the weather would make the drive there miserable. Anyhow, was nice to make a visit over there and see all the gorgeous corals there and what’s brewing in the systems there - should be an awesome live sale in March :D

I came home with only two pieces - but there are nice ones: ARC Fireworks and JF Homewrecker!!! :eek::eek::eek:

They acclimated and dipped this afternoon and are sitting on my consolidated frag rack (down to 1 from 3). Only a few corals left on the list - which is a little scary! Still - I don’t think I’ve been more paranoid popping something off a frag plug ever.

Nice chunk of HW man.

OP
OP
ksfulk

ksfulk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice chunk of HW man.

Thanks! Almost talked myself into a WD and an OP instead... but figured I should take advantage of the opportunity... Plus my wife's out of town for the week, so getting into trouble about it is future Kris' problem :D I have that lemonade frag for you too. I can drop it off next week - just let me know what works for you.

Dan Snyder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How much did you pay for the JF homewrecker?

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Almost talked myself into a WD and an OP instead... but figured I should take advantage of the opportunity... Plus my wife's out of town for the week, so getting into trouble about it is future Kris' problem :D I have that lemonade frag for you too. I can drop it off next week - just let me know what works for you.

If my Walt Disney and OP ever start growing faster I can hook you up :)

OP
OP
ksfulk

ksfulk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pulled the trigger on a Maxspect XF250 Gyre yesterday, should be here sometime next week. Im gonna play with the flow in the tank a bit, see what happens. Im working on setting up some kind of frag system as well... still need a few pieces of equipment - a skimmer and a lighting fixture. I think I can get away with just using a 4 or 6 bulb T5 horticulture fixture for the system, since I dont want to spend $500 on a light at the moment. Well see home things come together. Im debating on just drilling the 40 breeder I have in my basement already and using that, or if I should keep looking for a 50-70 gallon frag style tank. I havent found anything local and the LFS in the area wont do a special order without a stupidly high mark up. :rolleyes:

Ive got a filefish and a handful of peppermint shrimp in QT at the moment, I hope to introduce them into the tank this week sometime to keep the aiptasia at bay before I have to resort to something more drastic. Im a bit worried that the peppermints will just eat my acans and then get eaten by the wrasses, but I suppose I wont know until they go into the tank.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back