ksfulk

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sticks are starting to get pretty

Was poking around tonight and found either a black trochus snail with no shell or a crazy looking stomatella snail. Hard to take a good picture in the dark, but I think you get the idea. Really big though.... maybe the size of a dollar coin. Anyone see one like this before?

IMG_0829.JPG
IMG_0830.JPG
IMG_0823.JPG

OP
OP
ksfulk

ksfulk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suppose I should do a tank stat update as well. The tank is a little over three months old and Ive been running full ZeoVit method, using ESV two part for alk and calcium. we've battled a bit through the uglies and the algae is finally receding back. Here's how things are stacking up right now:

Zeo Dosing
ZeoStart: 1mL daily
ZeoBak: 8 drops 2x weekly
SpongePower: 6 drops daily
ZeoFood: I stopped dosing this. Everytime I dosed it, I would get a big bloom of algae in the tank. I stopped dosing and its really been well controlled since.
ZeoLite: 1L changed ~ 5-6 weeks

Water Parameters

Alk: 6.83 dKH
Calcium: 420 ppm
Magnesium: 1380 ppm
Nitrates: 5ppm
Phosphates: Undetectable but present
Salinity: 1.025

Dosing

Alk: 17.5mL daily
Calcium: 2mL daily

Really everything is going very well. I did recently take the Vertex media reactor out of the sump, as the carbon Ive been using in a bag, rather than in the reactor, so it was in there for no reason. Funny, I plumbed in all of these valves and such for reactors and what have you, and Im using none of them. Figures, I suppose.

Im getting ready to go on two week long trips in relatively rapid succession, so we'll see how the tank does with no Zeo additives for a few days in a row (my tank sitter only swings by twice while Im gone). I dont think it will be an issue, but lets see what happens.

I picked up a few pieces from the Coral Dudes live sale, and the colonies ended up shipping the wrong day, so when I got them from FedEx, it was late in the day, and they were already shedding a lot of flesh. Luckily, the vendor was really understanding and apologetic about the mix up and they are sending me replacements in my next shipment. I picked up an original Tyree Mummy Eye chalice, which I hope makes it as it one of the few chalices Ive ever liked. I dont have a good track record with these guys, but so far so good. I also picked up a cheap green maze brain as well, that seems to be doing ok. And my Coral of the Month was a nice chunky pair of sps frags. Had a nice red and green smooth skin and a chunky spath frag that hung on for a week before RTNing over night. *Sigh* those ones always get obliterated.

OP
OP
ksfulk

ksfulk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a few sticks from the CC live sale over the weekend... Should be here on Wednesday. Im pretty geeked. That said, One of the sticks Ive had in the tank since the beginning mysteriously started to STN (green acro on the end). I cut off the frag above the tissue necrosis, and remounted, but it looks like it might be a goner. Only time will tell.

I also picked up a Tunze 6040 (last pic) that I mounted on the overflow box to pick up flow behind the rockwork. They are really small powerful pumps. I havent really played with it much, but I did pick up the Apex cables for the tunze pumps, so I'll get to play with it once I get back from my vacation. After only a few days, I like the 6040 so much, I picked up a second one for the other side of the over flow box.

IMG_0882.JPG
IMG_0883.JPG
IMG_0884.JPG
IMG_0885.JPG
IMG_0886.JPG
IMG_0887.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
ksfulk

ksfulk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my order from @CherryCorals today - was a little concerned because the fedex driver was an hour and a half late... and well, it's 10F outside and snowing like a maniac. Luckily Todd and Brett pack these guys with a practiced hand, and the water in the bags was still a nice 73F :)

Here's some shot of the packaging and the corals in the bags, as well as shots once they had been dipped and into the tank. Took about an hour once it was all said and done. I did a 20gallon water change and changed out my carbon as well while I was waiting for the dipping process. I also mocked up my zoa rock garden along with the trio of rock nems I picked up from the live sale as well.

SPS acquired in this sale: ORA Hawkins, CC Needle in a Haystack, CC Chameleon, and CC Firefly.

Other bits: three rock nems (one green, one red, one red/purple), and a metallic green wellso.

IMG_0902.JPG
IMG_0893.JPG
IMG_0894.JPG
IMG_0895.JPG
IMG_0897.JPG
IMG_0898.JPG
IMG_0899.JPG
IMG_0900.JPG
IMG_0901.JPG
IMG_0903.JPG
IMG_0906.JPG
IMG_0912.JPG
IMG_0913.JPG
IMG_0915.JPG
IMG_0914.JPG

OP
OP
ksfulk

ksfulk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My other 6040 showed up tonight so I popped that one in and let the program rip. I really like these little pumps on the side walls of the overflow box to generate some flow in those deader spots!

Off on another week of travel starting tomorrow... hopefully the new additions behave themselves while I'm in the Carribean!

IMG_0926.JPG

IMG_0925.JPG

OP
OP
ksfulk

ksfulk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back from a week in the Carribean and was pleasantly surprised to see that the tank was doing excellent. All of the corals are alive and thriving - even the new sticks. The alk level is identical to when I left and the calcium levels look to be steady as well.

There are a few spots of bubble algae that are popping up, so that will be on the list for this weeks maintenance. The only casuality was the sea hare. Not sure what happened, but the minimaxi nem was choking down on it when I came home. I took it out before the nem ate it all, then puked out the carcass later.

Time for pictures!

IMG_1130.JPG
IMG_1129.JPG
IMG_1128.JPG
IMG_1127.JPG
IMG_1126.JPG
IMG_1125.JPG
IMG_1122.JPG
IMG_1121.JPG

OP
OP
ksfulk

ksfulk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sitting at work - staring at the clock wishing the day went by faster. Paypal borked up my credit card, and by the time I caught it, LA couldnt manage to get my main fish order out :( Not their fault at all... so only the Naso and the Squami is at UPS waiting for me to pick them up when I get out of here today. Oh well, I think Im heading to the Ann Arbor frag swap on Sunday to visit one of my favorite vendors (@CherryCorals) and see if there is anything else there I cant live without. Might be some livestock on hand that needs to hit the QT with the little Naso :)

Also picked up a reefbrite strip from a site member, so I'll get to play with that late next week - but likely not until I get back from my work trips.

QT is all setup - just a 40g breeder with a spare powerhead, heater, HOB filter and a junkie freshwater strip light. I cant to TTM since Ill be traveling for work in the next few weeks sporatically, so I'll pop the Naso into the QT and get him eating (he's coming from DD, so that shouldnt be hard) and watch him for 4-6 weeks for "bugs". If I pick up something over the weekend then I'll be able to put them all together. Worse comes to worse, I have all the TTM stuff on hand and can go that route.

IMG_1132.JPG
IMG_1133.JPG

OP
OP
ksfulk

ksfulk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ann Arbor swap was fun - good to see a bunch of familiar faces - but it made me miss the big swap in Lansing that's coming up next month. Hopefully I can make it this year - but it typically falls the weekend of my sons birthday, and apparently he's more important than coral. Anyhow, I picked up 7 frags from the swap - not a bad haul, but there were SO many acans and zoas - which isn't what I was looking for. I didn't find a Mayan Sun Favia that I was looking for, nor did I see many millies that got my attention - lots of deepwater green acros too *blech* Anyway - here's the list:

ORA Pearlberry
RR Aussie Gold
California Tort
CC Blueberry Horrida
Raptor Favia
Orange Hillae
Purple Hornet Zoas

Lights are out right now, I forgot to snap some pictures while dipping tonight, but I pulled up some of the frag pictures off of Cherry's website.

Came downstairs yesterday to find both of my bartlett's dead and the angel and butterfly covered in white spots - with both of their tails beaten up pretty badly. Great. So, I pulled all of the fish from the tank and started the "old" fish, as well as the Naso and the Desjardini Sailfin (ultra gorgeous fish I found locally on Friday) into a 30 gallon black plastic tote for TTM and then into the observation tank until the DT has sat fallow for the appropriate amount of time. The fish are looking good in their first QT tank. I pulled a bonehead move and just tossed in some mysis cubes, and the fat from them caused the whole tote to bubble up like a a massive protein skimmer! I did a 50% WC and everything is looking good. Added some Kanaplex to the water as well, hoping that it helps combat the bacterial infection that seems to have tackled my angel.

polyp694-580x580.jpg

polyp743-580x580.jpg

polyp792-580x580.jpg

IMG_1139.JPG

IMG_1136.JPG

IMG_1149.JPG

IMG_1156.JPG

IMG_1154.JPG

cbear44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build! I was at the AA swap as well.

I'm clam curious - looks like you have a squamosa and maximus - are they both from Liveaquaria? Did they transport ok? Trying to decide on a good source for them.

How big is your squamosa? Do you have to feed it or is light enough so far?

OP
OP
ksfulk

ksfulk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build! I was at the AA swap as well.

I'm clam curious - looks like you have a squamosa and maximus - are they both from Liveaquaria? Did they transport ok? Trying to decide on a good source for them.

How big is your squamosa? Do you have to feed it or is light enough so far?

Actually it's a Squami and a derasa. The squami is little, just about two inches - he's just a little guy. The derasa is about 5.5"-6" and I've had it about 6 months now. The derasa is from Uniquecorals. The squami I just got on Friday from LiveAquaria.

It's been hit or miss for clams for me, but the derasa that I've gotten from Unique have all been nice sized and grown really well for me. They tend to be more gold than blue - but hardy.

I've always wanted a squami, but this is the first time I've pulled the trigger on one, and only because I've watched the derasa thrive in my tank. While I'd love a maxima, I'm too chicken to try them. I know a few people that bought from pacificeastaquaculture that were really nice. They have been a vendor at the Lansing swap in past years, might be worth looking at the vendors list to see if they are there this year. Otherwise, look for aquacultured clams instead of wild caught/harvested and then it's just a matter of using a reputable vendor and one with a guarantee helps too!

IMG_1167.JPG
IMG_1168.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
ksfulk

ksfulk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sucky couple of days. Lost a lot of fish. :oops: Im sad and fighting the "I dont want to do this anymore" blues. Im bummed.

So, I took an hour or so this evening to clean up the DT, feed all of the LPS and rock nems, watch all of the little black stomatella meandering around on the tank, and stare at the sticks on the frag rack. I took a few pictures - I should really get the DSLR out and snap some decent shots - but this was a bit therapeutic tonight and likely just what I needed. I feel better - and will continue trucking.

I have my monthly order coming from @oceanparadise1 (The Coral Dudes - Coral of the Month) tomorrow, so theres that to look forward too as well. Enough words... some pics!

IMG_1177.JPG
IMG_1179.JPG
IMG_1181.JPG
IMG_1185.JPG
IMG_1187.JPG
IMG_1189.JPG
IMG_1191.JPG
IMG_1193.JPG
IMG_1195.JPG
IMG_1197.JPG
IMG_1199.JPG
IMG_1201.JPG
IMG_1203.JPG

OP
OP
ksfulk

ksfulk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral dudes frags. Appears to be an orange digi and some other acrid. Can't really if the other sticks yet. They are all brown now, but are showing better polyp extension each day.

IMG_1206.JPG

IMG_1207.JPG

IMG_1204.JPG

OP
OP
ksfulk

ksfulk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That tank looks sexy in white!

Thanks! Pretty happy with the tank itself - just wish I could make the inside as nice as the outside.

Still working through the TTM cycle with the surviving fish. The last transfer happens tomorrow, then on Tuesday I'll move them into the 40g breeder for observation while the tank sits fallow for another month or so. Ive been trying to put together a fish list so I can refill this tank while Ive got everyone out. That way I can run a bunch through TTM and watch them before they go into the tank. Its a good time to do it, but Im having trouble determining what I really want and what Iwant - but shouldnt get. The classic reefer's conundrum :rolleyes:

Anyhow - some pictures - the corals from CoralDudes are starting to color up a bit - a nice metallic green coming through from the brown :) The rest are showing nice encrusting on the frag racks. I need to rescape the tank so I can epoxy everything down. I also ordered another 30lb bag of sand from PremiumAquatics so I can replace all of the stuff that Ive vacuumed out over the past several months. Plus - I might have some more wrasse(s) on the way o_O

I also picked up a ReefBrite LED bar from a member on the forums here - I got it all hooked up and took a bit of video with it on. Oh how I missed the coral fluorescence of LEDs. I adjusted my light schedule so Im not nuking the corals.

IMG_1218.JPG
IMG_1219.JPG
IMG_1220.JPG
IMG_1221.JPG
IMG_1222.JPG
IMG_1223.JPG
IMG_1224.JPG
IMG_1225.JPG
IMG_1212.JPG
IMG_1213.JPG
IMG_1215.JPG

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome idea on those Tunze 6040's, are you running them through a controller?

OP
OP
ksfulk

ksfulk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome idea on those Tunze 6040's, are you running them through a controller?

They have their own controllers, but Im also running them through the Apex. Its kinda neat. I have the Tunze controllers set to ~35% power and just "On", then I made up some profiles on my Apex and have them running at various speeds and programs throughout the day. I copied the programming below for reference. They are great little pumps and fit PERFECTLY on the sides of the overflows. Being that they have waterproof magnets, they can be placed in the overflow to keep the pumps off the back wall. I placed them in sealed sandwich bags, so the magnets never touch the water and they cant rust that way.

Capture.JPG

Basically, Dusk_Dawn is a 10-20% varying "wave", Wave_1 is a random flow from 30-60% at random intervals. Flush_2 ramps up to 100% at two to three random times throughout the day (nice oscillation feature set off by the Timer outlets) and Night is an "Off" function basically - it pulses from 0-10% once every hour.

And, here's the order I placed from LiveAquaria... should be here on Tuesday, barring some other setback. :eek:

Capture2.JPG

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back