OP
ksfulk

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why did everything dies? What happened??

Honestly, I still dont know exactly what happened. Things started slowly declining, and it just snowballed. After most of the acros died, I let the tank go and just neglected it. Then it became more than just a afternoon to remediate.

So, I spent most of today pulling out old sand, and rinsing new sand to get it all in and done with. The fish went back in around 7 this evening. I just tossed in the rock - Ill work on aquascape later in the week. I had a lot more snails than I thought I did in the tank - Im a little worried that my cucumber will croak, since there's very little in the sand bed to feed it, but Ill keep an eye on it and see how things go.

unnamed.jpg

seastar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put my tank together right around the same time you were doing yours if I remember right. My tank is also kind of so-so. Dinos are what took out most of the excitement for me. It was a solid year battle, but I will persevere. Best of luck!

OP
OP
ksfulk

ksfulk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put my tank together right around the same time you were doing yours if I remember right. My tank is also kind of so-so. Dinos are what took out most of the excitement for me. It was a solid year battle, but I will persevere. Best of luck!

Dino’s can be the worst. Good luck with your battle!

Tanks cleared up relatively well - at least I can see the rock work and the fish once again. Everything’s made the transition, though my exquisite wrasse has a rather nasty gouge on its head. It seems to be healing fine, but I’m watching it closely.

OP
OP
ksfulk

ksfulk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My monthly update - things are stagnant at the moment as I’ve been debating on how I wanted to proceed. I think I’m going to stick with Zeovit, I’m just going to make a few tweaks in order to keep up with things. More on that coming up after vacation.

Here’s also a look back at almost exactly a year ago today:

OP
OP
ksfulk

ksfulk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So - I picked up a new zero reactor - the Skimz 127, and I’ve been running that for the better part of two weeks. I have to say, I really like the automated reactor and it seems to be having a positive impact to the tank. I have a short video below so you can see the media mixing in action.

The cyano has begun to finally die back. I picked up KZs cyano stop (or whatever it’s called) and it started to break up the big patches in just a few days. It’s almost gone now, with only some stubborn patches that I can take care of mostly tomorrow during my water change.

I’ve lost a few more fish - all anthias - likely due to underfeeding while I’m vacation, but the rest are all fat and happy so I’m not entirely sure - but both my carberryi and two of my lyretails bit the bullet. Once things get back in the swing of things, I’ll likely attempt another batch - maybe resplendent this time.

The few “living” things in the tank seem to be doing well. I’ve gotten visible growth both on the brain and the blastos that we’re basically dead before. The nems are weirdly in the sand but extended and eating, so that’s a good sign. My gorgonian has taken a pretty big hit since I wasn’t able to clean it while on vacation, so the poor thing was covered in cyano when I got home. I’ve cleaned it and trimmed the dead parts off so it’s smaller, but there’s not been any cyano on it and the polyps are extending out a bit again, so that’s positive.

Anyhow, here’s some pictures and stuff. I’m hoping to get some tester sps this week to see how things do before I try to get back some of my stuff that was rescued by a friend. Hate to nuke some nice sps because I was rushing!

2930588C-32D0-4CB2-862B-2B55CAE82EBF.jpeg
30A693F8-9646-41B1-BD69-A78C4B3F0B4B.jpeg
AE4F78FC-9F7C-4592-9B40-103AA93AE7EA.jpeg
922C9A19-FCE9-42A9-92E9-DF508EAEB284.jpeg
45B36487-F8B7-4C19-9B4B-D321E403320F.jpeg
56CAD5E2-0FE6-4571-ADEE-A769D5597F79.jpeg
F6B149B5-437E-44B7-BD9B-33CBF15106DA.jpeg
62F42F4C-4B19-4E70-97B9-7FAF24043627.jpeg

OP
OP
ksfulk

ksfulk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, it’s been a minute or theee since I’ve updated. I’ve been letting the tank settle and get into its own groove before making any further investments in it. Things have been doing ok, and I’ve picked up a few more sps to see how they take to the tank. So far, no issues, aside from some sparring between wrasses that have knocked them from their rack.

FlyPenFly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would bet $20 that nickel and other heavy metals rusted out of those blades into your water causing your death event.

Whenever I have problems where SPS start to die, my default go to is Poly Filter to get any heavy metals out, fine carbon, and if I haven't done it already, a grounding probe in the sump. I've saved two tanks following this protocol.

Clarksski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is looking like it’s making a nice comeback! The fish look happy too.. swimming around and picking at the rocks. I’m sure it’s been considerable effort on your part but you get that all back in satisfaction when you see the tank thriving again.

OP
OP
ksfulk

ksfulk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a difference a year makes

June 2018

June 2019

Thanks for the kind words! A few frags are doing well in the tank, but sps are just withering away still. With the likelihood of me moving in August above 90% at the moment, I’m just going to keep the tank on cruise control until things get settled.

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a difference a year makes

June 2018

June 2019

Thanks for the kind words! A few frags are doing well in the tank, but sps are just withering away still. With the likelihood of me moving in August above 90% at the moment, I’m just going to keep the tank on cruise control until things get settled.

If you end up needing help moving the tank or anything like that, let me know. I can help you load up/takedown etc. if i'm free. [I'm in the Grandville area]

OP
OP
ksfulk

ksfulk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you end up needing help moving the tank or anything like that, let me know. I can help you load up/takedown etc. if i'm free. [I'm in the Grandville area]

I appreciate the offer. Hopefully I will have several large people with insurance moving my items this time :)

OP
OP
ksfulk

ksfulk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man.... ghost town over here recently...

LOL

We're moving this week, so the tank will get torn down on Sunday and moved over to the new place. On wednesday I'll get the temporary tanks set up in the new house so they can sit for a few days and get nice and stable before the fish get moved over. Im hoping Ill be able to get it all over to the new place and water in on Sunday and then piece things back together throughout next week when I have free time.

I sold the ATI Sunpower fixture, and just pulled the trigger on an Aquatic Life 61" T5/LED hybrid fixture (in white to match the cabinet) as well as three Radions to fill in the middle. Since the tank is going in a living room in the new house, I can have the same setup I did in the basement of the old house - wife said it needs to look nicer than it does currently. I've also picked up a few other goodies to swap out equipment once we get everything moved over, as well as 120lbs of Tropic Eden MesoFlake sand. Should be a good time. Hopefully none of the fish have issues with the move - though I am going to get rid of the Coral Beauty, as the little jerk munches corals as frequently as I throw them into the tank.

I have a pair of cleaner wrasses that have been doing really well in the tank that were a rescue from a local tank that was shutting down. They eat LRS very aggressively and are just a delight to watch. Hopefully In a week or so I'll have some colorful updates to this thread, and if things go well, I'll be able to get my SPS collection back from @Velcro, who has been holding onto them for a year or more, since the tank crashed, in a month or so.

IMG_1514.jpg

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a great upgrade for the hybrid fixture. It should really fill it in nicely for a sweet living room display. Good luck with the move!

OP
OP
ksfulk

ksfulk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the house moved this weekend - nothing makes you feel older than moving everything you own.

Spent a good part of Sunday and Monday tearing down the tank and getting the fish and corals settled in the temp holding tank. With the help of two friends, yesterday we moved the tank and stand into the new house. I got it in place and then moved ~90 gallons of water into the tank. 120lbs of tropic eden mesoflakes, 45 cups of Red Sea blue bucket salt and a couple of heaters and gyres later - I left the tank to sit overnight. I’ll tackle it a bit more when I get home tonight.

One of the drain pipes for the Overflow got damaged during the move (slight scratch through the plastic pipe and oring) means I have to wait until I get a replacement to get the sump up and running. Still I’m hoping to move fish back into the tank tomorrow evening. Rock work should go back in tonight...

Fun stuff all in all... and only a few bruises to show for it!

4DA26C45-3D76-446C-89A6-D52D4194509F.jpeg
B5536EF2-317C-4B82-93B0-B6574EC491E6.jpeg
FD7E81F8-0F4B-4675-A04E-BA723CA91F8E.jpeg
DB5CBA15-BCA0-43CA-ABBA-5E3DC76AA91F.jpeg
0FBB2B55-F9B0-4B31-AB9B-433E3B40A510.jpeg
FB6C1A9E-A235-4869-929B-4B9FEE3DA1C2.jpeg
29C8FEE9-0C63-44E7-8642-CB7586F919BB.jpeg
E8B549ED-48C7-450D-B7FB-836C28FB3C1C.jpeg
C3A6F9F8-12E2-4D6F-A38A-6AF273867F34.jpeg
3A8298EF-6FFF-4E98-B99C-554C862CFABD.jpeg
A0666C79-70A3-4AB1-84B4-1292CD3EF788.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back