KSReefing IM Nuvo 30 Long Build

KSReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally am happy to be getting back into the saltwater aquarium game. I have taken a bit of a break over the last two years. I ended up selling everything off because I thought that I had lost interest. I also knew that I was going to be busy with the new baby so I ended up selling things over time. Well here I am with a baby at 9 months old and I am itching to get back in. I decided that I would keep it on the smaller side and not deal with a sump and a bunch of equipment. I use to have a 30 Long IM tank and I actually really liked it a lot. So I kept my eye out for one over the last couple months. It took awhile to find one but finally one decided to pop on marketplace.

I ended up finding someone that was about an hour away from me and I couldn't pass up the opportunity. I wasn't thrilled about the hour drive but I picked it up after looking for so long for that specific tank. The tank was in pretty decent condition. Some minor scratches that won't be noticeable when the tank is filled with water. It came with a inTank media basket so that was a good deal. I ended up paying $120 for the tank, stand, and canopy. The stand and canopy were not attractive to me at all. I knew that getting this setup I would have to rehab the stand and canopy big time before I could put it in my house. The stand and canopy were way too boxy and just flat out awful looking.
20200302_120632.jpg

20200302_120638.jpg

I ended up stripping the stand down to the frame. The frame was actually well built and I wouldn't change anything about it. I had to take off the awful pegboard off the back of the stand because it looked rough.

20200302_135410.jpg

After stripping the stand down to the frame I started to add pieces to the existing stand. I used a bunch of 1x3 and 1x4 pine select boards.

20200303_155503.jpg

With having a 9 month old I really only could work between his naps which made this process take a little bit longer. I wish I would have taken more pictures throughout the process. But anyway here I am with the almost finished product. I have some woodfilling, sanding, priming, and painting that will be done here in the next couple of days.

20200310_195356.jpg

20200310_195401.jpg

20200310_195431.jpg

Photo_2020-03-10_08-28-20_PM.png

I decided to build an aquarium cabinet out of the birch plywood he had from his stand. I will be mounting all my apex gear inside the cabinet. I decided to go with a floating style canopy. I have vaulted ceilings in the room that it is going to so that wasn't really an option. I wanted to do it because I wanted to have the t5 retrofit with the Kessils.

Equipment List

30L IM Nuvo Fusion Tank
(2) Kessil A360WE's Tuna Blue
(2) Nanotech Sunblaster T5's- ATI Blue Plus
Stock Return (Would like to upgrade)
150gpd RODI
(2) RW-4s
300W Finnex Titanium Heater
Neptune ATK
Neptune Apex (Temp, PH, ORP, Salinity)

Optional

Skimmer (Unsure of which one yet) I had a ghost skimmer and felt like it was a micro bubble machine
Reactors

Stocking List (Really not sure yet) Love to hear ideas on people's stocking for these tanks. I usually focus on coral but have always had more success with heavy fish load.

Pair of clowns. (Really like the storms)
Couple of Bangaiis
Firefish
Yellow Watchman.

(Not saying all these, Just ideas)

I will be doing mostly zoas, and LPS. I will dabble in to some SPS as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KSReefing

KSReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The process continues on. Painting has been not so fun. Probably my least favorite DIY project. I have ordered my desk grommets for the cabinet as well as some heavy duty velcro strips for the equipment cabinet.

Looking to order my sand. I am needing to get sand for higher flow tank. I've always had fiji pink sand and hoping that would be okay with this set up. Probably get 40 lbs.

20200314_072800.jpg

20200314_072828.jpg

Let me know if pictures still aren't loading from the first post!

OP
OP
KSReefing

KSReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update. I think I fixed the phots from the first post. Today I finished putting poly on my stand and cabinet. Desk grommets will be here Tuesday. Also ordered 2 more t5 bulbs to connect to the two I already have. So I need a good 4 bulb combo with my Kessils now.

Thinking B+ B+, Purple +, and Actinic. Love to hear what other people like.

Ordered a 150 watt titanium heater as well. Hoping to get this thing set up this week and wired up and ready to go!

OP
OP
KSReefing

KSReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cycling has come to an end. Its been tough waiting. I went with biospira for the bacteria. I went with lights out during the cycle and it made a huge difference this time. I will be looking to add a clean up crew here in the next week.

I ended up adding two more t5 bulbs for a total of 4 now. I ordered 2 blue + and 2 true actinic. I have a purple plus already and may mix that in.

I still haven't come up with a stocking list. The only thing I am set on is doing a pair of orange storm clowns. I need to come up with some other fish because the clowns will be the last ones I add in to the tank.
20200409_095939.jpg

20200409_095748.jpg

doh_nutz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What an awesome rehab job to your stand and canopy. How's everything doing so far?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back