Kudos To All Successful Saltwater Aquarium Keeper!s

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reading this site with its continuous stream of questions and issues makes me realize how fragile our artificial saltwater environments are! So many things that can go wrong.

Saying that - kudos to all successful saltwater aquarium keepers! This is a testament to the knowledge, husbandry, and dedication of aquarists all over the world!

So today, I hope you will enjoy your aquarium and realize that you have accomplished something very unique and special!

Reef on!

Last edited:

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. One day at a time. Be sure to read the fine print though.
IMG_3766-L.jpg

Past performance is no guarantee of future results

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. One day at a time. Be sure to read the fine print though.
IMG_3766-L.jpg

Past performance is no guarantee of future results
Wait a minute - I thought that fine print of “Past Performance” only applied to financial securities in the stock market?

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good kind words peter so nice one.
Im only 5 and bit months in on mine but so far 8 fish,14 snails,16 hermits,2 cleaner shrimp and a pistol shrimp and 2 urchins and 4 corals, nothing dead yet ( even though doing my research and seeing problem after problem and death death parasites galore ) i thought its so hard and everything will die which an in laws tank he has alot stuff dying very often,but so far so good for me and hopefully as i gain more research and more knowledge my saltwater journey will keep progressing and be enjoyable.
Once again good kind words from you ^_^

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good kind words peter so nice one.
Im only 5 and bit months in on mine but so far 8 fish,14 snails,16 hermits,2 cleaner shrimp and a pistol shrimp and 2 urchins and 4 corals, nothing dead yet ( even though doing my research and seeing problem after problem and death death parasites galore ) i thought its so hard and everything will die which an in laws tank he has alot stuff dying very often,but so far so good for me and hopefully as i gain more research and more knowledge my saltwater journey will keep progressing and be enjoyable.
Once again good kind words from you ^_^
Sounds like you are exactly the reefer I was speaking about in this post! Kudos to you!

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you are exactly the reefer I was speaking about in this post! Kudos to you!

So far so good but i know if let slip just for a moment then all the bricks can come tumbling down on me ha ha
And sometimes i take risks like alot of us.as just added a halloween hermit crab and mixed reviews in articles ive been reading. One article basically said will conchs definately for their shells and smaller hermits and other article said feed 1- 2 a week and provide empty appropiate shells for them and then only small risk and been reading few threads on r2r saying there halloween hermits been model citizens so we shall see in time but slighest bit trouble he will get sumped and possibly back to lfs ^_^

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far so good but i know if let slip just for a moment then all the bricks can come tumbling down on me ha ha
And sometimes i take risks like alot of us.as just added a halloween hermit crab and mixed reviews in articles ive been reading. One article basically said will conchs definately for their shells and smaller hermits and other article said feed 1- 2 a week and provide empty appropiate shells for them and then only small risk and been reading few threads on r2r saying there halloween hermits been model citizens so we shall see in time but slighest bit trouble he will get sumped and possibly back to lfs ^_^
Really shows your dedication and commitment!

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have some very successful veterans here. I will refrain from naming them because we all know who they are. Invariably, I will wind up overlooking someone and hurting feelings, so let's all appreciate those we have learned from, been inspired by or maybe just benefited from someone's mistakes. Every day is a journey.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My biggest attractions are the critters in the sand, feather dusters on my live rocks, and all the other guys I keep trying to find ID's for. One day. I'll figure out what the caterpillar type creatures are.
Corals are just decorative pieces of stress and worry. That make me spend money on test kits.
10+ yrs of reef aquariums. I wonder when I will just sit back, relax and enjoy the show. And not go "what's wrong now? No, back away . Coral is just pooping, leave it alone!"
Time to put a couch in front of the display!

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have some very successful veterans here. I will refrain from naming them because we all know who they are. Invariably, I will wind up overlooking someone and hurting feelings, so let's all appreciate those we have learned from, been inspired by or maybe just benefited from someone's mistakes. Every day is a journey.
Another Great Post!

Thank you to all veteran Reefers who take the time and effort to help us newer Reefers become successful with our aquariums!

rusgum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I see photos with reefs that have been growing for more than one year, then I already like them for the work done, knowledge, time and fanaticism.:)

Last edited:
OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I see photos with reefs that have been growing for more than one year, then I already like them for the work done, knowledge, time and fanaticism.:)
Agree - 100%!

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Agree 100%
Lots experienced and very helpful people here who will answer and guide you if need know a answer.
Plus all the threads on all topics as if i google a question im stuck on or think a problem in my reef tank then it usually brings you to r2r for the answer so most answers already on here if search that been answered by the more experienced reefers.
I once got told when i was young " a clever man learns from his own mistakes but a wise man learns from others mistakes"
If we willing and humble enough to believe a more experienced person been there and done that before and came out bad for them so 99.9% time will be bad for rest of us.
So thankyou to all members here who helped me in last few months and appreciate all the advice and guidance as ive learnt alot reading these threads and asking questions if unsure ^_^

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I once got told when i was young " a clever man learns from his own mistakes but a wise man learns from others mistakes"
If we willing and humble enough to believe a more experienced person been there and done that before and came out bad for them so 99.9% time will be bad for rest of us.
If only my kids understood this .... but parents know nothing apparently.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If only my kids understood this .... but parents know nothing apparently.

Ha ha yeah when we kids we think we know it all and we always right and on something similar i once watched a documentary on behaviour/thought processes of young children,i cant remember exact age but something like up until age of 10- 12 i think it was,most children think everything and everyone is unfair to them if dont get their own way as cant process that they cant have everything they want and sometimes need sacrifice or wait their turn etc etc
Like the whole world is against them lol
And only 4 hours ago my mrs picked our nearly 4 year old up from nursery and she ran ahead of her mum and kept running straight over a road on a corner without stopping/ looking all while my mrs running after her shouting to stop but my kid just ignored her so my mrs said thats very naughty etc etc and you not getting no sweets from shop now so for rest of 5 minute walk home she screaming and shouting and crying all kinds apparently.and when outside our house i thought someone was getting murdered but looked out and was kid kicking off something chronic,then my turn to explain to her that mummy was right to not give you sweets as dont get rewarded if naughty and running across road very naughty and very dangerous blah blah then i get her right in my face screaming at top of her voice NO NO NO ITS NOT FAIR AND RAN OUT ROOM SCREAMIMG AND CRYING,
was very serious matter but i had to try my hardest not to laugh at her lol

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha ha yeah when we kids we think we know it all and we always right and on something similar i once watched a documentary on behaviour/thought processes of young children,i cant remember exact age but something like up until age of 10- 12 i think it was,most children think everything and everyone is unfair to them if dont get their own way as cant process that they cant have everything they want and sometimes need sacrifice or wait their turn etc etc
Like the whole world is against them lol
And only 4 hours ago my mrs picked our nearly 4 year old up from nursery and she ran ahead of her mum and kept running straight over a road on a corner without stopping/ looking all while my mrs running after her shouting to stop but my kid just ignored her so my mrs said thats very naughty etc etc and you not getting no sweets from shop now so for rest of 5 minute walk home she screaming and shouting and crying all kinds apparently.and when outside our house i thought someone was getting murdered but looked out and was kid kicking off something chronic,then my turn to explain to her that mummy was right to not give you sweets as dont get rewarded if naughty and running across road very naughty and very dangerous blah blah then i get her right in my face screaming at top of her voice NO NO NO ITS NOT FAIR AND RAN OUT ROOM SCREAMIMG AND CRYING,
was very serious matter but i had to try my hardest not to laugh at her lol
Oh, I hate to ruin it for you but it gets worse when they become teenagers. LOL

Mine are now 20 and 21 and convinced that I am a complete idiot. I have told them both to go to college or get a skill. Either one, their choice. I have been told, "this is why we don't talk to you... we have a job, it's fine." Yep, they are fine at 20 making enough to scrape by. Those unskilled jobs get old as you get older and have no real qualifications for something that affords you such luxuries as daycare and a house. (But Mom's know nothing....)

I mentored my son in law, gave him a skill. He'll make great money next year and he has a career. If only my daughters listened as well as he does. Poor guy lives with both of them. Must be fun ... God bless him.

Good luck with the tantrums ... it's just preparing you for when she is 16 and wants to pierce something.
piercing black and white GIF

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I hate to ruin it for you but it gets worse when they become teenagers. LOL

Mine are now 20 and 21 and convinced that I am a complete idiot. I have told them both to go to college or get a skill. Either one, their choice. I have been told, "this is why we don't talk to you... we have a job, it's fine." Yep, they are fine at 20 making enough to scrape by. Those unskilled jobs get old as you get older and have no real qualifications for something that affords you such luxuries as daycare and a house. (But Mom's know nothing....)

I mentored my son in law, gave him a skill. He'll make great money next year and he has a career. If only my daughters listened as well as he does. Poor guy lives with both of them. Must be fun ... God bless him.

Good luck with the tantrums ... it's just preparing you for when she is 16 and wants to pierce something.
piercing black and white GIF
Ha ha yeah sure it will,i only got the one but im sure lots up and downs and lots tears but also joy to come.
And yeah i know first hand about the not getting a skill at young age as my nan and grandad saved up for me till i was 16 as they wanted me go college or uni or gain a skill but as i turned 16 they gave me full access to the bank account and blew it all in few months and didnt get no skill. But then when turned 24 and couldnt get a government funded apprentiship so would cost me £ 0 i decided go to college and become plumbing and heating engineer and had for £ 4500.00 for first 2 years then £ 6500.00 for 3rd and 4th year all by myself but at 16 i thought i knew best ha ha.
Actually coming to think of it i did start a youth training scheme ( yts) as a bricklayer when was 16 or 17 but as only got paid something like £ 30 a week i decided they was ripping me off getting my labour so cheap and that " life isnt fair and everyone against me attitude kicked in" so after 2 weeks stopped going on the free government funded course,but as my dad used to say " its all part of lifes beautiful tapestry " and makes us who we are ^_^

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 21 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 54 80.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.0%
Back