Kyle's IM Fusion 20

Discussion in 'Member Tanks' started by Kyl, Jun 30, 2017.

1. Kyl

Kyl Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

[​IMG]
    FTS_September_2017
    by Kyl, on Flickr

Welcome to my IM Fusion Nano 20 build. This tank has been running in one form or another since November 2015. Most of my feedback has been from other forums, but I've had a couple of questions here so I might as well share the trials and tribulations to more people over the coming months. All of my pictures are stored on Flickr, so there's a bit of visual history with the ups and downs over time if you're so interested.

Hopefully someone can learn from some of the mistakes I've made along the way!

Features:

Tank: IM Nuvo Fusion 20 (DIY black tulle top, InTank Media baskets)
    Stand: 2x Ikea Sektion 12” x 15” x 30” cabinets with some alterations and reinforcing done
    Lighting: 2x Kessil A160WE
    Heater: Cobalt Neo-Therm 75W
    ATO: Tunze Osmolator 3155
    Skimmer: IM Ghost Desktop
    Return: Cobalt MJ900 w/ dual spin stream nozzles
    Reactor: IM Minimax Desktop (40ml .8 ROX Carbon | 10ml HC-GFO)
    Powerheads: Ecotech MP10WQD (2x Maxspect XF230 Gyre)
    Controller: Neptune Apex 2016
    Rock: Marco dry, Seachem Matrix in both overflow chambers
    Substrate: CaribSea Fiji Pink

Water Parameters:
    2017-10-26 20:06 Magnesium 1600
    2017-10-26 19:53 Calcium 430
    2017-10-26 19:44 Nitrate 0.5
    2017-10-26 19:28 Phosphate 0.03
    2017-10-26 19:19 Alkalinity 7.5

Livestock and Corals:

Fish:
    2x Ocellaris Clownfish
    1x Pink-Streaked Wrasse
    1x Tailspot Blenny
    1x Gold Assessor Basslet

Inverts:
    1x Red Bubble-tip Anemone
    1x Blood Red Fire Shrimp
    4x Sexy Shrimp
    1x White Spot Anemone Shrimp
    1x Pompom Crab
    2x Scarlet Hermit crab
    2x Blue-Legged Hermit Crab
    1x Flame Lipped Conch
    ~20 mixed Nassarius, Trochus and Cerith snails

SPS:

Pink Lemonade Acropora
    Purple Valida Acropora
    Green Birdsnest
    Red Setosa Montipora
    Rainbow Encrusting Montipora
    Purple Pocillopora
    Red Plating Montipora
    Idaho Grape Plating Montipora
    Forest Fire Digitata

LPS:
    Mutant Branching Hammer
    Gold Branching Hammer
    Kryptonite Candy Cane
    Purple-tipped Frogspawn
    Pink/Purple Duncan
    Mayan Sun Favia
    Golden Eye Chalice
    Orange Eye Chalice
    Green Fungia Plate
    Blue-tipped Red Goniopora

Softies:
    Yellow Fiji leather
    Tyree Green Polyp Toadstool
    Purple Photosynthetic Gorgonian
    Blue Discosoma Mushroom
    Green Star Polyps
    Tan Pulsing Xenia
    Assorted Zoanthids

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017

2. Kyl

Currently all the fish have been pulled and are in quarantine for observation following 14 days of tank-transfer. I have had crypto in the tank for a while and was attempting to manage it while running my other tank stock through quarantine (65 gallon), but the loss of a sharknose cleaner goby three weeks ago forced me to act and get them out. It's currently fallow till the middle of September.

3. reef-rc

reef-rc Well-Known Member

Looks very nice. Following....

I am just now starting my Fusion 20. LPS and SPS only in this tank. My 13G mixed reef is currently over stock with corals.

One think I noticed is that you have 2x Kessil 160WE. Although I currently have Kessil 360WE, I am a little concern on ample light coverage once corals takes off end to end on the tank.

What's the max percentage of intensity and color do you have on both 160WE? Lights height above water?

Kyl likes this.
  4. Kyl

Here's the setting in apex, and the lights are 5" from the water line.

[​IMG]
    a160settings
    by Kyl, on Flickr

Here you can sort of see the lighting profile over the tank. I know what you mean by over-stocked! I had to abandon my frag tank as I was losing everything in there, and since this tank has crypto I can't put the corals in the 65 gallon display, so it's packed!
    [​IMG]
    TDS
    by Kyl, on Flickr

5. longgy

longgy Member

On the kessils is it okay for the color to be less than 50% all the time? I'm still trying to figure out my settings.

6. Kyl

It will make a small difference in the spectrum, but it's pretty much just for what you fine aesthetically pleasing.

7. reef-rc

reef-rc Well-Known Member

BRS recently a review of the Kessil 360W using 50% color + 100% intensity. 50% color gives u the maximum PAR... doesn't however means less than 50 is bad. Personally I like 45% and less.

This may give you an idea what to expect and set.

8. Ranjib

Ranjib Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

It is. Kessil is tuned for coral growth, which means almost all color level has the necessary blue spectrum, the variance is mostly for visual pleasure

9. Kyl

Amazing how the *pod population becomes visible once fish are gone. They've been out roughly 5 weeks now, and there are copepods and isopods all over the glass. My pinkstreaked wrasse is going to have a field day on these pods when he's back in the tank!

[​IMG]
    pods
    by Kyl, on Flickr

Stocking wise, I've been searching for Greenbanded gobies for over a year and our local market in Vancouver Canada has basically one vendor, whom can't source them. Unfortunately there is no national source like liveaquaria to fall back on, but I do know there is a fish/coral store with an online presence a couple of provinces over. It's been exceedingly difficult to get any communication going with them, something I've never come across this in the hobby so far. I'm in envy of what a lot of the US reefing scene has available to them, least of which the online livestock and coral vendors.

Anyway, now that I'm on holidays for a bit it's time to press the issue and try and get a pair of those gobies. After that, stocking should be complete for this tank in it's current incarnation.

Tahoe61 likes this.
  10. Kyl

Porcelain crab doing it's thing while mama clown is out of the tank.

[​IMG]
    porcelain
    by Kyl, on Flickr

Idaho grape monti is also finally starting to plate out after months of not really doing a whole lot. Most of that is probably attributed to having everything dialed in once a gain; 8.2 DKH, 410 calcium, 1340 calcium, ~2 ppm nitrate, 0.03 ppm phosphate. Another month and a bit, and the tank should be rocking fully stocked.

11. Kyl

I've always hated trying to safely dry out the Redsea / Hanna cuvettes from water testing, since they tend to knock over and fall on the floor.

So a (number) of hours later..
    [​IMG]
    cuvette_holder
    by Kyl, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    cuvette_holder2
    by Kyl, on Flickr

Perfect fit for a v1, and space to put some of those Brother label stickers to keep the cuvettes from being used on another test. Now to create a Hanna version, wondering what the best way to store the caps would be. 3D printing and this hobby seem to be a perfect fit.

12. Kyl

Picked up a white-spot anemone shrimp today, so tiny, only about 1" long. Has a nice purple-blue banding / spots on the legs. Hoping it will take up residence on the plate coral, as it was in the LFS.

Currently in invert QT for 76 days, or until it molts. Not taking anymore chances!
    [​IMG]
    Periclimenes brevicarpalis
    by Kyl, on Flickr

Also finished up my work on a holder for the Hanna cuvettes, turned out perfect. The SR Aqualisk cuvettes aslo fit in the Red Sea holder, as seen on the far left. If you have a 3D printer, the stl's for both are on Thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2467380
    [​IMG]
    cuvette_holders
    by Kyl, on Flickr

28 days left and then the fish will be back in the tank. Everyone's doing fine in QT, and I have not seen any visible crypto nor aberrant behavior since tank-transfer finished.

Tahoe61, Jeff.:P:. and jbarn1225 like this.
  13. Kyl

P. brevicarpalis molted last night, so he's out of invert QT, acclimated over an hour with multiple complete water refreshes and I put him in to the tank from hand with zero water. Went right into the the paly island and has been there for the last hour or so.

[​IMG]
    P.brevicarpalis_tank
    by Kyl, on Flickr

Conch is also paying a visit next door..
    [​IMG]
    conch
    by Kyl, on Flickr

Two more weeks of fallow as of this Monday, then the fish can return from QT.

14. hockeyhead019

hockeyhead019 Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

beautiful tank! love the lighting mix you have, it really makes the colors pop

15. Kyl

Thank you. All I have is an older Galaxy S4, so it's a struggle with the actinic to get shots that look the same as in-person..

Tank is pretty crowded, but I'm still waiting out a fallow timer then I can move a lot of the extra frags and pieces out. Also not happy with how large that paly rock is, will move it to my 10 gallon, or possibly up to the 65. It has spaghetti worms in it though, and I don't want those in my larger 65.. unless the fairy wrasses would keep them in check. I know they're good CUC, but look awful stringing all over the place.

Ergodyne likes this.
  16. hockeyhead019

hockeyhead019 Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

Hey! That's not to bad for an S4, time to upgrade though ;)

I agree with the spaghetti worms being a good and a bad lol. Not sure whether the wrasse will keep them in check though, I'll let somebody else chime in

Ergodyne likes this.
  17. Kyl

Here in Canadaland, an upgrade (unless I buy outright), will take me off of a grandfathered plan to one with less data and cost $20 more a month, on top of $500 for a new S8.. no thanks!

Going to keep this sucker till it stops working :)

Ergodyne and hockeyhead019 like this.
  18. Kyl

10 more days and the TSB can resume guarding the zoa garden against all interlopers!

[​IMG]
    stare
    by Kyl, on Flickr

19. schgr.cube

schgr.cube Active Member Build Thread Contributor

Looking great so far! Sorry for your sharknose loss, but it seems you're taking the right steps to be careful with everyone else.

How do you feel about the conch in a 20g? I was debating one in my 25 but thought they might be a tad too big.

20. Kyl

My tank is super crowded on the sand right now, so I think it kind of ticks the conch off a bit. I like it, so far the sand has seemed to be a bit whiter, but that could just be coincidence. I can go a couple days between seeing it, then it's hopping around for another couple.

Yeah I figured the tank had ich for a while, no fish were ever quarantined in it. I learned my lesson in January on my 65 gallon, it had velvet rip through. Since then I've turned a closet into a QT station, and everything from now on goes through QT for both tanks - fish, coral and inverts.

Draft saved Draft deleted