Lab rats, is alconox good for cleaning test equipment and vials?

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just what it says. I use this stuff as a cleaner occasionally in a medical device manufacturing plant.

Will the ocassuonal use of alconox on test vials disrupt the accuracy of test kits? It says it's good to go an test equipment. I just want to ask people who may or may not have used it for this.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We used this in chemistry class to wash the glass wear so that we got good test results when reusing test tubes. We always triple rinsed at the end to make sure that the soap was gone or else that would have defeated the purpose of washing the glass wear. I wish I had some for my magnesium test vial.

OP
OP
Townes_Van_Camp

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We used this in chemistry class to wash the glass wear so that we got good test results when reusing test tubes. We always triple rinsed at the end to make sure that the soap was gone or else that would have defeated the purpose of washing the glass wear. I wish I had some for my magnesium test vial.
That's the one I'm trying to clean lol. Same way we do it on equipment. Rinse rinse rinse.

Pm me. I'll send you some.

OP
OP
Townes_Van_Camp

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doin' work
PXL_20230606_065000073.jpg

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just use double strength vinegar (8%) for cleaning test vials including mag.
Citric acid also works.

Gone in 10 mins.

Interested if this is any better :)

OP
OP
Townes_Van_Camp

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just use double strength vinegar (8%) for cleaning test vials including mag.
Citric acid also works.

Gone in 10 mins.

Interested if this is any better :)
Substantially better. A 5 minute soak and they all came out spotless. It also cleaned without touching it, a shot glass with an evaporated 10ml of calcium. Stained coffee pot. It also broke down tar and resin in a bong. Admittedly, that required one second pass with alcohol and salt. Alcohol and salt also works very well on vials.

I use a 1/2 teaspoon in a kitchen sink full of hot water to soak whatever I want cleaned. Soak for as long as I wanted. 5 minutes in this case. Then rinsed repeatedly, dried. They look like brand new vials.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will the ocassuonal use of alconox on test vials disrupt the accuracy of test kits? It says it's good to go an test equipment. I just want to ask people who may or may not have used it for this.
I use it on glassware. Works well.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard from others that after testing if you fill the vials with RODI water to store them you won't have a reason to clean them for quite a while in the future
The Red Sea magnesium test kit leaves a significant residue in the vial during the titration. It is not just a chemical discoloration that can be rinsed out like the Hanna test vials. I agree that they should be stored filled with RODI.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Substantially better. A 5 minute soak and they all came out spotless. It also cleaned without touching it, a shot glass with an evaporated 10ml of calcium. Stained coffee pot. It also broke down tar and resin in a bong. Admittedly, that required one second pass with alcohol and salt. Alcohol and salt also works very well on vials.

I use a 1/2 teaspoon in a kitchen sink full of hot water to soak whatever I want cleaned. Soak for as long as I wanted. 5 minutes in this case. Then rinsed repeatedly, dried. They look like brand new vials.
That gave me a good laugh.

Back