Labout Fairy Wrasse in QT

Asian Hurricane

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a Labout Fairy Wrasse in QT and I was hoping for some advice on prophylactic treatment. It is currently in a 10 gallon qt tank that has been running for the past 3 months so it should be well cycled. It is day 2 and it has been eating well so far.

I bought GC and Copper Power but am unsure on if I should use them since I heard wrasses are a bit finicky. I plan on feeding it GC and focus laced food soon. Any opinions on how long should I keep the fish on this medicated food? After a couple of days I think I will start the GC bath treatment. Do I follow the instructions exactly or is there some sort of wrasse specific instructions that I should follow?

Finally after the GC treatment I might start the copper treatment, but I am a little hesitant. Is it necessary to use copper or should I forego this if the fish is acting fine?

Thanks for the help!

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two weeks and no replies... sorry.

Have you resolved your concerns?

OP
OP
A

Asian Hurricane

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi, thanks for the response!

I haven’t really done much in these two weeks honestly. The fairy wrasse is still in QT and is off a weeks worth of medicated food. He has been eating well But I am not sure what to do next.

He looks very healthy through observation, should I still put him through the general cure and copper? I heard wrasses do not handle it very well. Should I just throw him into the display tank if he continues to appear fine?

Thanks again!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, thanks for the response!

I haven’t really done much in these two weeks honestly. The fairy wrasse is still in QT and is off a weeks worth of medicated food. He has been eating well But I am not sure what to do next.

He looks very healthy through observation, should I still put him through the general cure and copper? I heard wrasses do not handle it very well. Should I just throw him into the display tank if he continues to appear fine?

Thanks again!
This becomes a risk analysis sort of thing: treating the wrasse with copper poses some risk, but so does introducing an untreated fish into your display. Of the copper products, Copper Power or Coppersafe are going to be the safest. Avoid the tendency to do a partial dose of copper - there is no indication that partial doses have any benefit, you need to give the fish a full dose for at least two weeks in order to see any benefit. General Cure is not as toxic to wrasses, but don't treat at the same time and always dose copper first and then GC.

Another option would be to hold the wrasse in QT for 45+ days with no additional treatment. Not as effective as a preventative treatment, but safer for the wrasse.

Jay

p.s. - sorry I missed your original message, not sure what happened....

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 31 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back