Lack of LOT# on Coral/Fish Food

Dono

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been really surprised lately that we as a community haven’t demanded better quality standards from our dry/frozen food manufacturers. I recently bought two containers of a reputable flake food that my fish absolutely LOVE, and the two containers are almost like buying two totally different types of flake. Now this wasn’t a deal breaker for me this time, but if I were to reach out to the company about an issue, something potentially serious could be identified and avoided much easier. I think we all know accidents can happen, and this seems like a simple fix.

my questionsfor the community would be if a particular company was disclosing a fresh-by date and a LOT#, would that make you more or less likely to buy from them?

My answer is an obvious yes as I could reach out to the community with specific LOT# to see how everyone else’s experience is.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to buy food at a "packaged on" date instead of a "expires on" date. Furthermore, a "packaged on" date would allow consumers to actually do comparative testing to see which prepared food would be best for their tank long term. Example, they could use two different brands that were packaged on the same day/month.

A fresh-by date might be a little harder. You'd have to really check to make sure how you were storing your food, since warm, humid places would make food go bad quicker, while cold, dry places would prevent it from spoiling as much. In an ideal world, all pet food would be refrigerated (yes, even the kibble) to keep it as nutritionally complete as possible.

I'm attaching a pretty solid article about frozen mysis which might be useful for ya.

Attachments

• Frozen Mysis Part 1 The Quest for Quality Food (1).pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 38

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back