LaCl cycling of rock. WC questions.

Holy_makerel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been soaking some rock in freshwater for 3 weeks or so and finally got some LaCl to help get phosphate out. Rock is soaking with a powerhead for circulation.

I added the first dose of the LaCl. As expected the water clouded up and within about 24 hours it cleared up.

My question is should i perform a WC, wait a few days and check PO4 levels and see if i need another dose or just keep adding as needed until PO4 stops seeping from the rocks?

My plan is to keep them in freshwater until i get phosphate levels to stop climbing then I'll clean them and put them in saltwater for a month or so while making sure PO4 and nitrates stay at low/undetectable levels.

Any recommendations would be welcome. I've never cured rock like this before

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I did this last year I had mine in saltwater, I just dosed lanthanum every other day. In the 8-10 weeks I had the rock in the garage I did 2 or 3 water changes total.

OP
OP
Holy_makerel

Holy_makerel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I did this last year I had mine in saltwater, I just dosed lanthanum every other day. In the 8-10 weeks I had the rock in the garage I did 2 or 3 water changes total.
Thank you! How did it work for you? Would you cycle your rock that way again? Any issues with the tank cycling after introduction or fish distress from it that you noticed?

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! How did it work for you? Would you cycle your rock that way again? Any issues with the tank cycling after introduction or fish distress from it that you noticed?
When you're done with the lanthanum chloride treatment you should have it in salt water and dose some bacteria and do water changes periodically until your rock is completely cycled. You do this the same as you would cycling your tank. When you're ready to put it in your tank it will be cycled and help your tank cycle much faster if it isn't already.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back