Lagoon 25 - Current Parameters - How to get my ALK,Calc, and Mag in range?

Brad4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Needing advice on how to get these parameters in check. This is a new lagoon 25 tank with 20 gallons water.
Nitrate 18.7
Phosphate .02
Alk 7.3
Calc 537
Mag 1780
PH 7.8

Finished cycle two weeks ago. Currently have the following transferred from my waterbox 220.
6 soft corals and a few snails, 3 chromis, red eye goby, tiger goby, firefish, yellow corris wrasse, and a clown.

I'm contemplating nuking and starting over on my 220.6, Just waiting on some anemones to get into the tubes I added to get them off the rocks, This is why I started this lagoon 25 tank, to hold my living coral and fish, I started that 220.6 tank the end of February and have had nothing but issues, Dino's , ich, cyano, string algae. Lost thousands of dollars in coral and livestock, Treated all with chemicals and various other methods. This may have contributed to my miseries.

I believe I kept my tank too clean, and Dino's kept coming back. I have Dino's, cyano, and string bacteria in my 220.6 now, I`m just grabbing all the living items and transferring them to this new tank for now, as I decide how to move forward with the 220.6

I've researched the nuke method, the rip and clean, waiting it out, etc. Need advice please. - Thanks

waver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nitrates are high, Phosphates are low. what salt are you using? is your salinity checker calibrated?

You need to verify your salinity level (its probably elevated) - remove saltwater and replace with fresh until youre around 1.026

If you're still high you need to change to a salt with lower level like Instant Ocean. The water changes will also bring down your No3 and P04 - you will need to dose some P04 supplements

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of those parameters listed aren't ideal (except for alk and phosphate, as those are perfect), but I don't see anything dangerous.

OP
OP
B

Brad4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nitrates are high, Phosphates are low. what salt are you using? is your salinity checker calibrated?

You need to verify your salinity level (its probably elevated) - remove saltwater and replace with fresh until youre around 1.026

If you're still high you need to change to a salt with lower level like Instant Ocean. The water changes will also bring down your No3 and P04 - you will need to dose some P04 supplements
I`m using HW Marine Mix Reefer salt mix. My salinity is 34.5 ppt.

OP
OP
B

Brad4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My paremeters today.
Nitrate 25.4
Phosphate .06
Alk 7.5
Calc 577
Mag 1425
PH 7.9

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New tank and you have some softies in it. I don't see why you need to adjust anything at this point.

OP
OP
B

Brad4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe my Calc is to high at 577 and I would like alk more at 8.5 range. The goals is a mixed reef tank in my 220.6 waterbox aquarium, this will become a quarantine tank after I decide how to move forward with that tank. It`s just holding what I have left living as I get my main tank either nuked and restarted, or ripped and cleaned.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk at 7.5 is closer to seawater than 8.5, but some people like to keep alk higher.

A water change with Instant Ocean, which has lower Ca and higher alk, would get you closer.

OP
OP
B

Brad4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk at 7.5 is closer to seawater than 8.5, but some people like to keep alk higher.

A water change with Instant Ocean, which has lower Ca and higher alk, would get you closer.
I have some instant ocean salt I can mix. I will give this a go. Thanks

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 130 59.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 28.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 38 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.9%
Back