Lagoon 25 mangrove island advice

Renton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished upgrading my nuvo 10 to a 25 lagoon ext and really want to start a mangrove island. Looking for advice on how to best plant the mangrove and optimal lighting for the mangrove. I was hoping to do a singular live rock island projecting out of the water and attaching a few mangroves to the rock.
My questions are how deep should the mangroves be submerged or can I plant them above the water line as long as the roots are in the water? Is there a certain type of live rock/sand that is more suitable for mangroves? Also I currently have two ai primes on goosenecks. Would the mangroves get sufficent light from the ambient lighting if they grow above the lights?

mdrieder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Renton I'm not experienced in mangroves but I hate to see a question go unanswered. Attached is a video which gives some insight on mangroves. In terms of lighting it would definitely get enough light from the primes but I just don't think you'll be able to mount them high enough to cover the trees. Again there not my forte, just wanted to make sure you got some form of response.

OP
OP
Renton

Renton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Some good information in that video. Totally going to start my mangroves off in freshwater now.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start in fresh water, unless you can source ones confirmed from salt water. Then raise salinity over 2 weeks and should have no issues. Also helpful to mist leaves daily or at least twice a week once in sw.

As for depth, roots in water is fine and all the way up to where the bright green part of the plant is ok also.

Wedge in between rocks is ok, glue to back side of rock is ok, etc.

AI primes set as close to 6500k will work fine until they get a ton of leaves. At that point a direct spotlight above them works great.

You may need to dose the tank once they get going. Just nitrate alone will not be enough. They will need trace minerals and other things. Brightwell Cheato Grow works great for them. Just cut the dose to a 1/4 of what it says for your tank. Unless you have macros in there also.

Ricksreeefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start in fresh water, unless you can source ones confirmed from salt water. Then raise salinity over 2 weeks and should have no issues. Also helpful to mist leaves daily or at least twice a week once in sw.

As for depth, roots in water is fine and all the way up to where the bright green part of the plant is ok also.

Wedge in between rocks is ok, glue to back side of rock is ok, etc.

AI primes set as close to 6500k will work fine until they get a ton of leaves. At that point a direct spotlight above them works great.

You may need to dose the tank once they get going. Just nitrate alone will not be enough. They will need trace minerals and other things. Brightwell Cheato Grow works great for them. Just cut the dose to a 1/4 of what it says for your tank. Unless you have macros in there also.
Hey sorry I also want to do a mangrove tank and was unsure of what I should get, I was thinking a about 10-20 gal long all glass for the tank but I’m not sure what to do for filtration. I also am un sure of what light is the best for them. Any recommendations? Thank you!

Ricksreeefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey sorry I also want to do a mangrove tank and was unsure of what I should get, I was thinking a about 10-20 gal long all glass for the tank but I’m not sure what to do for filtration. I also am un sure of what light is the best for them. Any recommendations? Thank you!
Maybe???? Lollll

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mangroves will eventually outgrow a 10g, so you should either plan to trim them bonsai style or be prepared to replant them at some point. Mangroves don't need filtration or anything, you could put them in a pot with good substrate and strong lighting and freshwater and they will do okay. So what else you put in your mangrove tank depends on what you want to keep with them and what those critters need.

Ricksreeefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mangroves will eventually outgrow a 10g, so you should either plan to trim them bonsai style or be prepared to replant them at some point. Mangroves don't need filtration or anything, you could put them in a pot with good substrate and strong lighting and freshwater and they will do okay. So what else you put in your mangrove tank depends on what you want to keep with them and what those critters need.
Any light recommendations? Thanks!

ReefStash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I just finished upgrading my nuvo 10 to a 25 lagoon ext and really want to start a mangrove island. Looking for advice on how to best plant the mangrove and optimal lighting for the mangrove. I was hoping to do a singular live rock island projecting out of the water and attaching a few mangroves to the rock.
My questions are how deep should the mangroves be submerged or can I plant them above the water line as long as the roots are in the water? Is there a certain type of live rock/sand that is more suitable for mangroves? Also I currently have two ai primes on goosenecks. Would the mangroves get sufficent light from the ambient lighting if they grow above the lights?

I’ve been traveling for 10 months with these dudes in a bucket and just natural window light. Finally in a house now for the last couple of months and working on a build for them. They’ll be going in a 228g CADE mixed reef tank. I found that they do really well with a rigid airline in the roots. They have grown a lot since this vid but worth a watch. Take care.

ClearRain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had much luck starting them in freshwater, always done better for me in brackish (1.008-1.010). I have one under my prime and 5 others under natural or 5500ish k. The one under the prime is the second oldest but still essentially a propogule. I'd do a seperate spotlight for the mangroves that is more white/red.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 153 61.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 26.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 87 34.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.9%
Back