Laminated glass for aquarium?

Chris Nias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anyone who has experience using laminated glass for aquariums, what are the advantages and disadvantages compared to float glass? For the long term as well.

Planning for a 60" x 30" x 24" tank.
Especially compare the strength of 19mm float glass with 10mm 10mm laminated glass.

Another factor is because the price of laminated glass is half the price cheaper than float glass.

BestCutter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anyone who has experience using laminated glass for aquariums, what are the advantages and disadvantages compared to float glass? For the long term as well.

Especially compare the strength of 19mm float glass with 10mm 10mm laminated glass.

Another factor is because the price of laminated glass is half the price cheaper than float glass.
Laminated glass is made from multiple pieces of float glass. I've never heard of it being used for aquariums.

Why would you want a piece of plastic between glass pieces to end up obscuring your view of your aquarium?

What do you mean by "10mm 10mm laminated glass"?

Dennis

Omar ziebak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would never recommend it

Clarity will be poor and white will distort colors

I made one of the sinks with this annoying glass

The light was permeating the white color separating the two glasses and emitting waves of light in the facade

I will attach two photos to you, one with clear glass and the other with laminated glass, and you will see that the difference is clear

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211229-114712_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211229-114712_Gallery.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 242
  • Screenshot_20211229-114639_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211229-114639_Gallery.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 248

fijiphil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
I have 4 x 75o gallon tanks with laminated glass on one side only. After 3 years one tank has signs of water intrusions into the laminations of one tank in one corner of approx 4% of the viewing window. Now I'm seeing air bubbles but no (yet) expansion of the area. Is my tank going to blow wide open in that corner?

ReeferAl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
I have 4 x 75o gallon tanks with laminated glass on one side only. After 3 years one tank has signs of water intrusions into the laminations of one tank in one corner of approx 4% of the viewing window. Now I'm seeing air bubbles but no (yet) expansion of the area. Is my tank going to blow wide open in that corner?
That water intrusion is due to the type of interlayer (PVB), which has a very poor ability to prevent intrusion. Other interlayers such as EVA do not have this problem.
I previously had a 400 gal tank with laminated front and back walls: two 1/2" layers of low-E glass. The only problem I had was that a tiny speck of dust was trapped between the layers of the front panel. After 4 years I did not see any water intrusion or haziness. After that I moved and got rid of the tank.

ReeferAl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, I have recently wondered if a tank could be made with a laminated back wall only, with a black or dark blue film between the panes. This would allow for an external overflow without having to see the edges of the overflow. Of course, water intrusion would have to be eliminated in this scenario as the edges would be constantly exposed to water.

CloudReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be a weird question, but I just had some glass baffles cut for my sump and the guy used laminated glass. Will the plastic or resin in the glass leach into my aquarium?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back