OP
Land Shark

Land Shark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking very nice, keep up the good work. :)

Thanks! I’m trying.

High PO4 is my major nemesis and I have yet to figure out how to keep it in check long term without lot$ of GFO. When using a Hanna ULR, I often get a reading of around 45 ppb (0.15 PO4) . That isn't all that bad but sometimes it spikes to over 100 (0.30 PO4) so the few acro frags I have aren't growing much. I'm hoping that those of you who have figured that out can offer suggestions.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Land Shark

Land Shark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't really test so can't help, I just run a refugium.

Here is the refugium. It holds 30 gallons or about 110 liters of water I'd guess. The Kessil light stays on all the time and the main grow light runs on a timer at night. There is also a small pump in there that provides extra turnover. I think my fish load is likely the issue but I like the fish.
20180716Refugium.jpeg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well done!

OP
OP
Land Shark

Land Shark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water clarity is provided by an Ozotech Poseidon 200 ozone generator. The generator runs on its lowest setting of 1 (range is 1 to 10) from midnight to five AM each day. A GHL controller with ORP probe monitors the redox level.

ozotechfile-1.jpeg

Last edited:

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Land Shark , I started on my drains last night and did a dry fit run just to see what its going to look like!! I think i going to plumb it just like this. I will do the emergency drain ones i have the actually sump under my tank since i am not sure now if i want to go with with Elite Aquatics RS40 sumps or the the new Advanced Acrylic PVC/Acrylic Hybrid Sump or even which i hate to admit but the Synergy CL-44 (Red&Blk) is real tight looking.. I will be running a Reef Octo VarioS8 which pushed over 3100gph and for my manifold I will be using my Vectra M1 pushing 2100gph.. All of the sumps that I have narrowed it down are all under 1K to ship and I would like you hear your thoughts and opinions on which sump would you go with if you had my set up? This is the last piece to the puzzle on fishing up everything. This is whats holding things up b.c I want to make sure the sump I choose , i want it to out last the tank and no refugium since I will be running a scrubber.

Synergy 20'' external Overflow box
drains#2.JPG

Advanced Acrylic PVC/Acrylic Hybrid Sump - 36x21x15
Screen Shot 2018-07-17 at 6.52.34 AM.png

Elite Aquatics RS 40X18''X18
Elite Aquatics Incl a Scrubber on top.JPG

Synergy CL-44 - 44''X18'X18''
Red-Mercury-Front.jpg

Bottom of my cabinet: 60''x24''x24
BOTTOMCABINETOFTHE 150.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Land Shark

Land Shark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s the little differences that matter over time. The R/E 100cmx50cm that I bought cost me about 20% more but it was well worth it. For example, you get R/E only features including 7 filter sock chambers. Water quietly flows up (not down) into the first chamber of three socks. Then water flows down and back up to the second chamber of 4 socks. Then down again thru the 4 socks there. With this many socks I can go a couple of weeks before having to change them out. When the first three sock fill up, water overflows quietly straight to the second chamber of 4 socks, which are always cleaner. Also, you get these silencers that are basically round PVC covers with holes so that water flow is quieter. Everything including the silencers is made of heavy duty PVC, not acrylic. This sump will outlast most other sumps and when I eventually sell it, I will get much more money for it. That I am sure of. You will always be glad you you bought an R/E. (No disrespect for the other brands).
3CEF86AE-2FEC-4BB7-97FB-28D60D87A84C.jpeg

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Land Shark - Whats the specs on your sump? I am thinking about going with there PVC/Acrylic Hybrid Sump -

• 42x21x15 - Skimmer Section 20x19.25 and return section 9.25x19.25
Like the size b/c I will be able to fit no problem both of my two return pumps.
advanced acrylics.jpg

OP
OP
Land Shark

Land Shark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my first ICP test in May of this year. The results showed high levels of Sn (Tin) and Pb (Lead). There were also high levels of Nickel and Zinc. I never expected to see heavy metals issues like that and was taken back. To correct the issue, Triton recommended a 100% water change over several weeks and I did that. They also recommended looking for the source of the contaminants. Triton also recommended that I switch to a high quality salt like Red Sea blue bucket, so I did that.

Source?
Well, I had been using lots (I mean lots) of home depot black zip ties in to hold siporax together. Those zip ties were submersed in water all the time. I could not confirm if the zip ties were the source of anything bad but I did read online that zip ties commonly contain lead. Apparently the lead is a cheap way to make plastics soft and bendable. I removed all of the zip ties.

I had also used pool supply products to lower alkalinity and those were only 99% pure. I had also used morton pool salt once to try and lower the calcium level. All BAD ideas. Now I know that. I'm going to avoid all the DIY recommendations going forward because it just isn't worth it.

I'm planning to send out another ICP test this month. Stay tuned.

2018-07-19_22-02-08.jpg

OP
OP
Land Shark

Land Shark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The typical Valida Tri-color Coral is a beautiful strain of Acropora that is pink to tan in color with vibrant purple tips. I’m documenting mine now in hopes of better coloration in the future.

BEB04A6D-4C94-4658-8091-8B6E9DEB5A84.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Land Shark

Land Shark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In an effort to improve grow cheato faster and without die off, I'm going to add a baffle to the refugium similar to this drawing. It is a design claimed to keep the cheato spinning and causes very little powerhead clogging over time.

The idea seems to make a lot of sense, to me anyway. The cheato ball is naturally spinning in the middle as a result of being rotated on all three sides. The baffle also appears to position the cheato in the center of the reactor area as desired. I need to try this out for myself.

The baffle should have 2 inches of clearance at the bottom and 2 inches at the top and that is all there is to it. Wish me luck!

rotating cheatofile-1.jpeg

Last edited:

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe consider also adding an angled baffle like this. There was someone on here that did something very similar to what you have drawn, except they had this angled baffle. His chaeto ball had great rotation.

OP
OP
Land Shark

Land Shark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe consider also adding an angled baffle like this. There was someone on here that did something very similar to what you have drawn, except they had this angled baffle. His chaeto ball had great rotation.

Consider it done and thanks for the idea!

Last edited:
Back