Land Shark's 109 Reef Savvy Build

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you read that the cables had a component of lead in it? I’ve never heard of that and I can’t easily find any reference.

OP
OP
Land Shark

Land Shark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-

Lead Free 2018-07-22_20-44-01.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Land Shark

Land Shark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a few pieces of 3/32" glass cut to size by a local glass shop. These should to create a spinning cheato chamber that keeps spinning until it is so large it fills up the chamber packed to the max. It will take a couple of days to find time to put it together but I'm looking forward to it.

PO4 tested at .16 tonight.

glass file-1.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Land Shark

Land Shark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a new experiment I'm working on. The test was to create a single spin chamber in a 4" refugium to see if this is a success or not. I'll probably order some more 3/32" glass on Monday and add a second and third spin chamber. The cost of the glass was all of $24 total for both pieces of glass cut to size.

The pump rests inside the large sock so that there is no worry about the pump ever clogging up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Land Shark

Land Shark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is day 2 of the test. So far, so good. No issues causing the cheato to stop spinning, get stuck in a corner or anything like that. I turned off the LED grow light for the video. You can see drilled holes in the side of the PVC to direct the flow where wanted.

OP
OP
Land Shark

Land Shark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what I ended up creating. I call it the cheato reactor triple threat! It consists of three gyre chambers that spin the cheato 24x7. The lighting runs from 5:00 PM to 9:00 AM the next morning.

Lighting consists of an LED light fixture pushing out 7100 lumens and using four long bulbs for even distribution. It uses a Sicce 780 gph pump and the water is directed using 3/4" PVC pipe. It isn't fancy really. The three gyre chambers measure roughly 12" x 12" x 12" each.

Time will tell but I believe that this setup may help to keep PO4 <= 0.07ppm. That is the goal anyways.

Last edited:

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what I ended up creating. I call it the cheato reactor triple threat! It consists of three gyre chambers that spin the cheato 24x7. The lighting runs from 5:00 PM to 9:00 AM the next morning.

Lighting consists of an LED light fixture pushing out 7100 lumens and using four long bulbs for even distribution. It uses a Sicce 780 gph pump and the water is directed using 3/4" PVC pipe. It isn't fancy really. The chambers are not even water tight as water can flow both over the top of the glass and under the glass as well. The three gyre chambers measure roughly 12" x 12" x 12" each.

Time will tell but I believe that this setup may keep PO4 <= 0.07ppm. That is the goal anyways.

I love this. Cannot wait to see the results.

OP
OP
Land Shark

Land Shark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just tested for PO4 and turned a 22ppb reading (0.06 ppm). PO4 is down from 67ppb a few days ago but I used a bit of Lanthanum Chloride to get it down so I can't really be sure how much credit goes to the spinning cheato refugium. My goal is to stop needing Lanthanum and GFO. The Triton method is what I'm using now and I don't think my old refugium setup was a very good one. This new spinning cheato should be more effective and should allow me to run a legit Triton tank.

Now I realize that most reefers are probably bored with cheato and PO4 test results and want to see pictures of corals and fish. Getting phosphate under control is my number one goal at the moment. I’m sure many of you have been in the same boat, right? After the PO4 is finally stabilized I will stock up and focus on the corals!

99E82526-ED73-4832-91E2-3CA9667B3EB0.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Land Shark

Land Shark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run an avast marine davey jones skimate locker with a digital sensor that shuts off the skimmer when the skimmate locker fills up.

Here is a rundown.

Davey Jones Skimmate Locker
The clear 5/8" tube inside the reactor traps air when the reactor fills up to that level. The air pressure travels through a 1/4" hose up to the digital switch.
F45286E5-1A6C-420C-8A6E-A25C40335EBB.jpeg

Digital switch
Works by sensing an increase in air pressure coming in through the 1/4" tubing on the right side. The bottom wire connects to a GHL controller. The skimmer is shut off by the controller automatically when the skimmate locker is full.
8B9F5F4E-B716-4D01-BA90-1256279B30A7.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Land Shark

Land Shark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

After a week using this new spinning setup and no Lanthanum, the cheato and other algae is growing well. PO4 is already down to .03. So far, so good!

My initial refugium setup didn't work out so well. It had low flow and uneven lighting. The result was slow, weak growing cheato that filled up the refugium but there was a lot of die off and this etup could not keep phosphates under control. PO4 was typically .25 - .50.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Land Shark

Land Shark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is an inventory of fish and inverts.

Fish
15 Chromis
3 Lyretail Anthias
2 Blue Star Leopard Wrasse
2 Mated Percula Clownfish
1 Silver Belly Wrasse
1 Powder Blue Tang
1 Algae Blenny
1 Female Psychedelic Mandarine
1 Scarus Quoyi Dwarf Parrotfish (reef safe)
1 Firefish

Inverts
5 Peppermint Shrimp
5 Misc Snails
3 Hermit Crabs
2 Emerald Crabs
1 Porcelain Anemone Crab
1 Tuxedo Urchin

8977AE9E-1896-435E-9B86-43A6F39C1F48.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Land Shark

Land Shark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple more pics taken this week.

A lot of folks like the way the chromis’ school together. I know that I do. Interestingly enough, when I added the chromis, they made the tank so active that all the other fish seemed to stop trying to claim a territory. The powder blue and the largest anthias in particular gave up trying to play tank boss. The chromis just do their thing and go wherever they want. They move around fast enough that no one can ever really bother them.

F9F99CC1-267D-4823-8D98-6328027DBDD9.jpeg

3DF84126-F6C1-4A37-8DA0-4AB15F6DE4BD.jpeg

Last edited:

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple more pics taken this week.

A lot of folks like the way the chromis’ school together. I know that I do. Interestingly enough, when I added the chromis, they made the tank so active that all the other fish seemed to stop trying to claim a territory. The powder blue and the largest anthias in particular no longer try to be a as much or a boss. The chromis just do their thing and they are fast enough that no one can ever really bother them.

F9F99CC1-267D-4823-8D98-6328027DBDD9.jpeg

3DF84126-F6C1-4A37-8DA0-4AB15F6DE4BD.jpeg
I also quiet like chromis and how they school along together.

Mine are over 2 years old now and have grown significantly and are beautiful looking fish now. I started with 7 I think originally and the 5 I have now have been 5 for a long time so I assume they have established their hierarchy now.

Great pictures as well by the way!

EW_Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also quiet like chromis and how they school along together.

Mine are over 2 years old now and have grown significantly and are beautiful looking fish now. I started with 7 I think originally and the 5 I have now have been 5 for a long time so I assume they have established their hierarchy now.

Great pictures as well by the way!
I've also started with 7 and now down the 6. Funny how the smallest of the small is still alive I was for sure he would be the first to go.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back