lanthanum chloride film on glass

nick9one1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does anyone else experience a white film on the glass when using lanthanum chloride?

I have a 70gal and currently dosing 9ml of Quantum Phosphate Remover 1ml at a time into a 9micron roller filter spaced over 24 hours. Po4 is about 0.09ppm

I wouldn't be too bothered except its really difficult to get off the glass. I have to go over it 3 or 4 times with a flipper on the blade side.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
does anyone else experience a white film on the glass when using lanthanum chloride?

I have a 70gal and currently dosing 9ml of Quantum Phosphate Remover 1ml at a time spaced over 24 hours . Po4 is about 0.09ppm

I wouldn't be too bothered except its really difficult to get off the glass. I have to go over it 3 or 4 times with a flipper on the blade side.
Magic eraser Original- Unscented will take it right off

OP
OP
nick9one1

nick9one1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 9 micron and some gets through.

Maybe look into dosing into your skimmer?

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would 200 micron socks be ok slow dripping phosphatE.
I never used this product but I do use LaCl. I drip it in a 5 micron sock to keep it out of my DT. Others have used 10 micron. Not sure 200 micron would do anything at all.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 9 micron and some gets through.

Maybe look into dosing into your skimmer?
I never used this product but I do use LaCl. I drip it in a 5 micron sock to keep it out of my DT. Others have used 10 micron. Not sure 200 micron would do anything at all.

Thanks. I’m extremely hesitant to use. Many i’m replaceable fish in the tank.

Where everyone find 5-10 micron socks?

sorry to derail op

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks. I’m extremely hesitant to use. Many i’m replaceable fish in the tank.

Where everyone find 5-10 micron socks?

sorry to derail op
get mine from BRS

Ragnar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clarify the terminology, there are no lanthanum chloride precipitates in seawater.

They are either lanthanum carbonate or lanthanum phosphate, or a mixture of the two.

Trueruby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been getting my socks for years linked below, down to 1 micron which would obviously clog in moments. I’ve also been using Lanthanum for 10+ years, well before there were reef focused products, the white film is the only issue I’ve encountered, no livestock disasters.

Hello Ragnar,

Sorry to dig up the topic but I'm planning to use lanthanum chloride heptahydrate, how do you dose per liter? I dont have possibility to find 5 micron filter socks. Dosing to skimmer pump sound more logical for me. Would like to hear your experiences.

saltwaterjunkie12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the exact same thing on my glass, and what a pain it is to remove. I will be picking up some magic erasers today.

Warren_Jakarta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first time I worked out how much LaCl I needed to add to lower 1 full tank turnover by .5 (17mL in 15 minutes). I manually dosed directly into the standpipe feeding my roller filter. Things went well but my skimmer overflowed 20 minutes later and the white film appeared in the compartment.
The second time I waited until the roller filter was extremely dirty (ready to roll) and then manually time-dosed it into the standpipe again.
After I quickly advanced my Clarisea until a clean fleece had come around. My skimmer sits in the same compartment and I've never had a "surprise" overflow since; The thought was that the precipitate could work its way out while sitting in the fleece and it seemed to work for me; having a nice dirty fleece to capture the precipitate seemed to help as well.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back