Lanthanum Cl - does it precipitate out of RODI?

Futuretotm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my PO4 was trending upwards as I was feeding heavy handedly.

I decided to dose 15ml the following solution: 15ml LaCl3 (SeaKlear) in 1500ml of RODI
No change seen in PO4

I then decided to dose 50ml of the LaCl solution over 24 hours, feedings reduced/albeit not drastically.
PO4 increased (Measured twice with Hanna Phosphate ULR)

So my question is:
Does Lanthanum precipitate out of a RODI solution when kept in a still dosing container?

Millwright

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As Randy said there are no problems mixing it in RODI.
I Dilute 15ml into roughly 32oz of RODI and drip it into my sump when ever my test results show my P04 is out of my goals with no issues.
Question, if you drip 1 drop of the lanthium chloride into your reef does it turn white and cloudy where it entered the water?

OP
OP
Futuretotm

Futuretotm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Dilute 15ml into roughly 32oz of RODI and drip it into my sump when ever my test results show my P04 is out of my goals with no issues.
Question, if you drip 1 drop of the lanthium chloride into your reef does it turn white and cloudy where it entered the water?

Nope to your last question when diluted and through the doser. Perhaps its too dilute 15ml into 1500ml RODI.
Yesterday I dosed 3ml of LaCl4 into the tank and it was a snow storm in there (PO4 of 0.2), no ill effects on livestock (I don't have tangs yet)

OP
OP
Futuretotm

Futuretotm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you @Randy Holmes-Farley

Follow up question: as La is a heavy metal and is likely accumulating in my tank (not all of it is taken out by skimmers), will it have ill effect on the fish/coral/inverts?

I try to over think and have some cuprisorb in my sump at all times to "bind up" any excess La that might be floating by...

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lanthanum is a heavy metal. It is natural in the ocean, and lanthanum phosphate is at saturation in the deep ocean. Few folks see substantially accumulating lanthanum, likely due to precipitation with phosphate and maybe carbonate.

If you mean accumulating precipitates, yes, that is almost certainly happening. It becomes part of the sand and detritus.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @Randy Holmes-Farley

Follow up question: as La is a heavy metal and is likely accumulating in my tank (not all of it is taken out by skimmers), will it have ill effect on the fish/coral/inverts?

I try to over think and have some cuprisorb in my sump at all times to "bind up" any excess La that might be floating by...

I would not assume cuprisorb is a good way to bind lanthanum, and I don't think running metal binders 24/7 in the absence of a toxic metal problem is desirable as it may be limiting things you want.

Millwright

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you’re lanthium chloride is good and there are no issues with the product itself. I will say in my opinion 15ml into 1500 ml of RODI is pretty diluted but still should not affect the product itself. Why dilute it so much and use a doser? I think it would be difficult to maintain a consistent dose that keeps your P04 where you want it. Personally I would just dose accordingly after you test for it.
As far as buildup goes I don’t see you having any issues. I have been using lanthium chloride for the past four or five years with no ill effects.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back