Large build question - access to back of the tank

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Considering a 8' or 10' tank, not much of a difference other than how deep I make the tank. How important is it to have access to the back panel? It won't be an in wall install so I'd need to move it away from the wall the install it so I'm wondering how critical it is to have access to the back panel. If it's necessary I'll probably go 10' with a 3' deep tank vs 3.5/4'.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a friend with a 72x40x24.
He has it away from the wall and has a 2' wide and high walkway built in the back.
It alows easy access to the back of the tank.
He had the same on a 36" deep tank too.
Its very difficult to get to the back of a 36" tank from the front unless you build the great rock wall against the back.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My large system backs onto a patio door, which I can open and therefore have full access to the back panel. I have MP60/40 mounts etc there and all sorts secured to the rear of the tank.

I also have other equipment like a calcium reactor back there so in large systems, although not critical it’s certainly very helpful

SteveG_inDC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will want access to every area of the tank, although you may compromise and leave some parts reachable but with more effort and mess. I promise you'll eventually neglect maintenance in those areas. Also, consider that at some point something will fall into your tank like a child's toy or a screw.

I have a 6' tank with fish room, so not the same challenge as you, but I use a simple Tunze grabber for many tasks and it's awesome. I also have a couple of long feeding implements. If you have Eurobracing and a net top, it can be a bit of a pain so I have some spots with unplucked tufts of hair algae and sloppily attached corals.

I am a fan of limiting the water depth. Deep tanks are a PITA. (More front to back distance is good if you have the space in your house).

Good luck with the build.

Michael White

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I placed my overflow on the side of my 210, specifically for this reason. I painted the back and the side of the tank with the overflow. Still left a few inches from the wall, and my stand is open backed. I used a slim profile overflow kind of like the stealth and black furniture grade pvc. I’m terrible with getting bulkheads leak free, mostly just paranoid about cracking the tank, and never liked bulkheads in the bottom glass panel which have proven to be a pita for me in the past. In this configuration I found flow is best balanced by treating it like a peninsula tank. All of my equipment is mounted to the right side panel so it does give a very clean look in my opinion, and full access to all of my equipment for cleaning and maintenance. My sump is in the basement, but could be under my stand if I planned it that way.
A0B0A5EE-03AC-4DF0-B184-06FF6BD8F1A2.jpeg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 34.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back