• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Large Gem Tang for sale local pickup only (Tampa, FL)

ctnguye3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey guys, I'm looking to sell my Gem Tang, it’s about 4” to 5”, you will need a large aquarium for this fish. It was in my qurantine tank for 2 months (30 days in copper, 2 weeks in PraziPro and 2 weeks under observation). it is fat, healthy and an aggressive eater (can pretty much eat all day). I'm getting rid of it for 2 reasons, #1 it's getting too large for my aquarium and #2, it's getting aggressive towards any new additions I add.

Unfortuately due to my inexperience shipping live fish, I can only do local pick up. I live in Tampa, FL and willing to meet up anywhere in the bay area. I'm asking for $400. Thanks!

Photo Mar 16, 8 21 26 PM.jpg

Photo Mar 16, 8 21 10 PM.jpg

Last edited:

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man, stunner... Where about in Tampa? I'm up in JAX but may be able to make it down. I've been looking for a solid size on to pair with my TY

OP
OP
ctnguye3

ctnguye3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh man, stunner... Where about in Tampa? I'm up in JAX but may be able to make it down. I've been looking for a solid size on to pair with my TY

Zip code is 33559, I'm about 10 mins or so from USF & Busch Gardens. It's about a 3 hour drive from Tampa to Jacksonville. If you are interested, we can maybe meet up in Orlando? It will shorten your drive to about 2 hours and also gives me an excuse to check out WWC and TSA :D

Not sure what "TY" means but if it's a yellow, purple or any zebrasoma tangs, there's no pairing haha! I have to be honest, this one is aggressive and greedy. I literally had to add a second algae clip on the other side of the tank so the other fish can eat because this one won't allow any fish around its algae clip, even with a full belly!

doggydoc10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You drive to the Miami area anytime soon? I have a 1000 gallon system. Interested.

OP
OP
ctnguye3

ctnguye3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This may have been the easiest fish I've caught, I added a fish trap and within 10 mins it was caught. Even in the trap, it was still eating lol. I wasn't expecting to catch it so soon, I was planning to just leave it there until it gets used to the trap and try to catch it with food when I was ready.

Right now it's in my quarantine tank, I've also included a very short video of it eating the algae sheet. Thanks!

Gem Tang Video

OP
OP
ctnguye3

ctnguye3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Gem tang is still available, I will be in Orlando, FL this Saturday so can do local pick in that area as well (must be plan in advance). Local pick up in Tampa Bay and Orlando (Saturday only).

Sorry I cannot ship. Thanks!

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great fish. I'd love it but I have a Yellow and a Hippo that are half that size. I'm pretty sure that there would be collateral damage. Too bad Miami is too far... that would be a GREAT tank for this guy.

OP
OP
ctnguye3

ctnguye3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great fish. I'd love it but I have a Yellow and a Hippo that are half that size. I'm pretty sure that there would be collateral damage. Too bad Miami is too far... that would be a GREAT tank for this guy.
Thanks! Hippo tang...maybe? But for sure Yellow tang would be very risky! I can only see this working if the tank is large enough and you have multiple Zebrasoma tangs so aggression is evenly spread. Miami is a little far for me unfortunately, thanks for checking!

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Hippo tang...maybe? But for sure Yellow tang would be very risky! I can only see this working if the tank is large enough and you have multiple Zebrasoma tangs so aggression is evenly spread. Miami is a little far for me unfortunately, thanks for checking!
Probably not.... 127 gallon shallow reef. That is a gorgeous fish though. OH!!! There is a guy here in Florida building a massive tank to breed gem tangs. I think he is on the other coast but Orlando may be half way.
This is his build thread:
Maybe you two can work something out?

waterskiguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful pictures! I can’t get good pictures of mine to save my life. Great price for a quarantined healthy gem tang too.

OP
OP
ctnguye3

ctnguye3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Probably not.... 127 gallon shallow reef. That is a gorgeous fish though. OH!!! There is a guy here in Florida building a massive tank to breed gem tangs. I think he is on the other coast but Orlando may be half way.
This is his build thread:
Maybe you two can work something out?
That's pretty cool! I can definitely see that as a possibility, especially with the success of yellow tangs. I just read his build thread, it looks like he's still in the planning stages but it also hasn't been updated since last year. Would be interested in the progress.

Beautiful pictures! I can’t get good pictures of mine to save my life. Great price for a quarantined healthy gem tang too.
Thanks! I didn't use any high end cameras, just a regular iPhone camera. lol

you looking for any trades??
Sorry, no trades at the moment. Thanks

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 75 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 74 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 32 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.2%
Back