Large spots on one side of fairy wrasse

justonwo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This fish is new to me. It was introduced into my tank 5 days ago. He's been eating voraciously, both the mysis I've been feeding 3 times per day as well as pellet food. Today, large spots appeared on one side of his body. Are these spots from a disease, aggression from another fish, or abrasion from possible panicking in rock work?

You can see that one side is ok, but the other side doesn't look so good.

wrasse_spots-1.jpg

wrasse_spots-2.jpg

wrasse_spots-3.jpg

wrasse_spots-4.jpg

wrasse_spots-5.jpg

wrasse_spots-6.jpg

wrasse_spots-7.jpg

Last edited:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry to see you've got an injured fish. I think it looks like abrasion, but I'm certainly no expert. Thankfully, we've got lots of guys in here who are experts and can help. @Humblefish, @evolved, @eatbreakfast, @melypr1985 any of you have ideas?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like abrasions to me. Have you noticed any of your other fish giving him a hard time? Is he hiding a lot? He could have cut himself in the rocks. I would soak his food in vitamin supplements (exs. Selcon, Zoecon, Vita-chem) to expedite the healing process.

rajkovich207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it's just my tired eyes seeing things but it clearly looks like a circle wound formed by the mouth of another fish. I'd watch carefully and she who might be the aggressor.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's damaged scales, it could be from hitting into rocks, not uncommon when first introduced, but I would lean more towards aggression from another fish. Blennies, other fairy or flasher wrasses, clowns, damsels, or dottybacks would all be my top guesses. It usually stops after the first few days.

Hotsauce808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wrasses get them from time to time when they like to dig like crazzy espicaly my dragon wrasse usaly just abrasions some times its residue from the sand when they burry them selfs

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wrasses get them from time to time when they like to dig like crazzy espicaly my dragon wrasse usaly just abrasions some times its residue from the sand when they burry them selfs
...though in this case the wrasse is a solorensis, which is a fairy wrasse, which don't bury.

OP
OP
justonwo

justonwo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped by my office to feed and check on the fish today. The wrasse is already looking better on the injured side. It does seem like it was abrasion. I ordered some vitamins to supplement the food just to be on the safe side.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back