Large star polyp colony on LR dip or not ?

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be receiving a large star polyp colony which is attached to live rock as all my coral up to now have come on plugs I’ve always dipped with NT labs coral dip. should I dip the colony with it being on live rock ? I believe that it was originally aqua-cultured and imported from Indonesia.

part of me says no as I’d like to add bio diversity from the live rock on the other hand I’d like to avoid any pest hitchhikers :/

what’s your thoughts guys ?

jdm_aquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would dip but if your not Comfortable with dipping the rock you can break the rock we’re the coral is and then dip the coral and add to the tank

OP
OP
DE FISH

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would dip but if your not Comfortable with dipping the rock you can break the rock we’re the coral is and then dip the coral and add to the tank
Thanks for your reply I’d like to keep the colony as a whole piece so would like to avoid breaking it into pieces if possible. I’m assuming the dip with kill much of the beneficial bacteria within the live rock? Perhaps I could hold the rock upside down so the encrusted coral side of the rock is submerged in the dip.

Ricksreeefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply I’d like to keep the colony as a whole piece so would like to avoid breaking it into pieces if possible. I’m assuming the dip with kill much of the beneficial bacteria within the live rock? Perhaps I could hold the rock upside down so the encrusted coral side of the rock is submerged in the dip.
The dip is to emanate any pests. If you only dip the coral and not the rock you are not going to get all the pests out.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I will be receiving a large star polyp colony which is attached to live rock as all my coral up to now have come on plugs I’ve always dipped with NT labs coral dip. should I dip the colony with it being on live rock ? I believe that it was originally aqua-cultured and imported from Indonesia.

part of me says no as I’d like to add bio diversity from the live rock on the other hand I’d like to avoid any pest hitchhikers :/

what’s your thoughts guys ?
At minimum if youre leery, dip it in Peroxide.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks, I guess I’m still going to lose the Beneficial bacteria within the live rock ?
Not so much with dipping. Play it safe with dipping and you can add 1.5ml of liquid bacteria daily per ten gallons for 2-3 weeks to rebuild culture

OP
OP
DE FISH

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Direct replies from NT Labs in relation to my question posted on here in case anyone requires this info in the future.

“Hi Daniel

Many thanks for your enquiry. Yes, it is perfectly safe to dip a coral attached to live rock in our Marine - Coral Dip providing you use it as per the instructions.”

Kind Regards,

(name blanked for data protection)

Aquatic Biologist

I then asked if it would affect the beneficial bacteria within the rock

response below

“Hi Dan

No problem at all, there is nothing within the Coral Dip that would adversely affect any bacteria within the live rock, you are far more likely to get bacteria die off from handling and moving the rock in and out of water to be honest.”

Kind Regards,

(Name blanked for data protection)

Aquatic Biologist

I highly recommend NT Labs in terms of customer service they reply extremely quickly.

HawkeyeDJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Direct replies from NT Labs in relation to my question posted on here in case anyone requires this info in the future.

“Hi Daniel

Many thanks for your enquiry. Yes, it is perfectly safe to dip a coral attached to live rock in our Marine - Coral Dip providing you use it as per the instructions.”

Kind Regards,

(name blanked for data protection)

Aquatic Biologist

I then asked if it would affect the beneficial bacteria within the rock

response below

“Hi Dan

No problem at all, there is nothing within the Coral Dip that would adversely affect any bacteria within the live rock, you are far more likely to get bacteria die off from handling and moving the rock in and out of water to be honest.”

Kind Regards,

(Name blanked for data protection)

Aquatic Biologist

I highly recommend NT Labs in terms of customer service they reply extremely quickly.
That's interesting!

I was talked into putting some live rock into my new tank and no one ever mentioned dipping it like we would corals. As a reward, I got bristle worms, GHA, aiptasia, vermitid snails, and God knows what else. If I had dipped, perhaps I could have avoided some headaches.

OP
OP
DE FISH

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's interesting!

I was talked into putting some live rock into my new tank and no one ever mentioned dipping it like we would corals. As a reward, I got bristle worms, GHA, aiptasia, vermitid snails, and God knows what else. If I had dipped, perhaps I could have avoided some headaches.
A dip would not prevent the problems your having a qt would be best to avoid the majority of these issues

OP
OP
DE FISH

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought the point was to rid the piece of hitchhikers. It works for coral but not live rock? Why?

a common coral dip won’t prevent aiptasia or gha

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 34 85.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.5%
Back