Large Tank Stand with Adjustable Feet on Hardwood Floor

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see many posts related to the floor itself on support a large tank but I can't find anything on the effect of a large tank sitting on a metal stand with adjustable feet to a hardwood floor.
My floor is 3/4" oak. I plan on putting a 96"x36"x28"(420galolons) and a metal stand with 8-10 adjustable feet. Just want to know if the feet will damage the hardwood and that I have to do something to the floor before I fill up the tank.

Mattman1977

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had that same thought about feet destroying my hardwood floors not to mention subfloors. Depending on the size of the foot and number of feet under the tank that’s a lot of weight on each foot. I decided to build a wood stand in place so it was for sure level but had several ideas to spread the weight out more if I went with adjustable feet.
•more feet the better, unfortunately those things are spendy
•adding a piece of 3/4” hardwood plywood under the tank with a piece of foam rubber between it and the floor, then adding a 1/4” aluminum plate under each foot to spread the weight out as much as possible. Probably overkill but that’s what I’m good at. I feel it’s easier to over build it then have to try and fix it after the fact.

good luck
Matt

Blue Tang Clan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The feet will divide the total weight of the tank into those 8-10 pressure points, which could crack the hardwood itself.

A 3/4” plywood platform (or 2x6 boards) would distribute that weight more evenly.

not knowing your setup or budget, I would recommend a shower liner (oatey grey rubber mat) with 3/4” plywood board on top. That will protect the floor from the weight or if you ever have a leak.

OP
OP
this is me

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just check my floor. If the floor is leveled and the stand is built correctly, do I really need the feet?
On my 360G, I had the feet but not sure how much I actually had to adjust. It was sitting on concrete floor in the basement so I didn't worry much about it. This time, I want the tank to be on the first floor. The basement, even it was finished, felt isolated and we don't go down there much.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
You can use IPE (or similar) decking plank that's say 4" or 6" wide and 3/4 to 5/4 thick. Build a perimeter "frame" laying the planks flat. Plenty of space for adjustable feet on the plank and would only add about an inch to total height of the stand.

IPE or similar hardwood planks would distribute the weight very evenly - a perfect solution.

OP
OP
this is me

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up getting the metal stand without the adjustable feet.
I measured the floor where the tank is going and it's pretty leveled. If I need to level, I'll put some shims.

YankeeTankee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oak is a relativity hard wood. It seems you're asking about the hardwood and not the support underneath BUT whether or not the wood can withstand the pressure is also related to what is underneath so in my mind you cannot totally separate the two. If the floor is adequately supported directly under the leg then the oak floor could probably take 250 psi x (area of the foot) at each leg without denting the oak (2x2 feet would likley be ok). Without structure directly underneath, the hardwood will bend more over time and may eventually break. I would want to make sure my feet were close to being directly over the joists. Again I'm assuming you've taken care of the structural aspect already.

OP
OP
this is me

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 3/4" oak is sitting on 3/4" OSB subfloor on 2x12s joists.
The floor will be reinforced. I plan on sistering the existing 2x12 joists with 3/4" plywood and another 2x12. Then make the beams out of 2x8s with 3/4" plywood and support them with floor jacks. I already bought the jacks and wood. Just need time to do it now.
I was concerned about the feet denting or cracking the hardwood so I completely gone without them. Just the steel tube and shims if needed.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 33.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back