Large variation in ammonia tests

Dilby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and also to the hobby.

In the process of starting a saltwater nano aquarium and about a week into the cycling process, but seeing some really odd measurements.

I started the process by adding 2ppm ammodium chloride soloution to the tank along with ATM Colony starter bacteria. I've follwed the steps as guided by the Dr Tims fish-less cycle, but am seeing some really odd ammonia reading, so purchased other test kits to make sense of it. Please see picture below:

Ammonia Test.jpg

I'm really struggling to see what my ammonia is based on the four different results i'm seeing. Note, the API test (green liquid) seems to be the biggest outlier and i cannot make sense what color the Seachem alert is showing me,

I have been following the Dr Tims guide by adding more Amomonium Chloride on the days it suggests, as the Salifert test I have been using (2nd test in the image) has been showing < 0.5ppm of ammonia or so I thought until I purchased the API kit.

My Nitrites have remained pretty flat close to 0.1ppm the whole time and my Nitrates have increased a bit to 1ppm.

Any help will be appriciated.

marky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm cycling my new tank now and I used Brightwell instead of Dr. Tim's but I struggled to read that Salifert test. I switched to the Red Sea test and the color is much easier to read.
I have that Seachem alert badge as well, it's measuring free ammonia instead of total ammonia. So .02 free ammonia equals 0.25 total ammonia.
I haven't used the API test, but if you've got a new tank and have dosed the ammonia according to their directions I doubt you'd be at 8 ppm. That one looks like the outlier to me, fwiw.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

• I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

• I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Back