Large white / colorless spot on yellow coris wrasse

Lowlandreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few weeks back I bought a Lubbock's fairy wrasse. He ate the first few days and then disappeared for 2 weeks. When I saw him again he looked very sick and he wouldn't eat. His eyes were swollen and cloudy and unfortunately he died a few days later. I didn't put him in QT because I buy all my fish quarantined from my LFS. For some reason this sick fish slipped through, and now I'm worried my other fish get sick.

I'm monitoring all my fish very closely and spotted this white / colorless spot on my yellow coris wrasse.
IMG_5791.jpg
IMG_5792.jpg

Does anyone know what it is? And if so how I can treat it?
He is still eating very well and acting normal. I do see him flash from time to time, but very little.

I don't have a QT tank yet, but I'll buy one when needed.
Let me know if you need additional information!

OP
OP
Lowlandreef

Lowlandreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ve got limited options without a QT, as most medications aren’t reef-safe.
Like I said in the post, I will buy a QT if needed. So that won't be a problem when I know what he has and how I can treat it.
The only reason I don't have one now is because I buy all my fish pre-quarantined and never had an issue.

Upvote 0

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a injury, these fish like to swan dive into the sand when they feel threatened. They can even go to bed in a hurry at times. My guess is her bumped into something on the way down.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Lowlandreef

Lowlandreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a injury, these fish like to swan dive into the sand when they feel threatened. They can even go to bed in a hurry at times. My guess is her bumped into something on the way down.
Yeah he does that a lot indeed. Seems like a plausible theory.
I would just give him time and plenty of nutrients
Okay, good to hear! I will feed him extra the coming time.
So you think it will just heal on it's own?

Upvote 0

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you think it will just heal on it's own?
My quoy parrotfish scratched himself on a rock yesterday when he freaked out (over nothing), and the scratches and small white patch where he clipped the rock are already more or less healed. So if it’s an injury, yes - it should heal on its own.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Lowlandreef

Lowlandreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
I think it got worse. The white spot is bigger (photo 1) and the under side of his belly turned red (photo 2).
Sorry for the poor photo quality, but he is very fast and doesn't like it when I get too close.
IMG_5813.jpg
IMG_5813_2.jpg

I'm stressing quite a bit now, is it "just" an injury or is it a disease?

Upvote 0

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start setting up a QT tank Now just in case. You can get a cheap set going. Nothing more stressful trying to do it last minute if all breaks loose. It’s always a good thing to have just for these moments.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Lowlandreef

Lowlandreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still think Injury but I hope it’s not getting infected.
Would it be better to put him in QT?
I feel like QT could help him recover and I can give him antibiotics/medicines if needed. But on the other hand I feel like catching him and putting him in a different tank will only stress him out...

Upvote 0

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be better to put him in QT?
I feel like QT could help him recover and I can give him antibiotics/medicines if needed. But on the other hand I feel like catching him and putting him in a different tank will only stress him out...
If your QT has matched temp,salinity,PH and can handle his bio load without ammonia spiking then yes.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Lowlandreef

Lowlandreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your QT has matched temp,salinity,PH and can handle his bio load without ammonia spiking then yes.
I just set up a QT. I have seeded biomedia in my DT sump, so I will move him over asap.
Only need to get an ammonia alert and make some new saltwater to make sure I can control any potential ammonia spikes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Lowlandreef

Lowlandreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help everyone. I think it was indeed just an injury.
He healed up really nice and is all healthy again!

Maybe this is not the right thread, but I just spotted a large white spot on the head of my bicolor blenny...
IMG_5894.jpg

I'm gonna put him in QT as well (when I'm able to catch him). But does anyone know what it is?
An injury seems unlikely since it's on his head...

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help everyone. I think it was indeed just an injury.
He healed up really nice and is all healthy again!

Maybe this is not the right thread, but I just spotted a large white spot on the head of my bicolor blenny...
IMG_5894.jpg

I'm gonna put him in QT as well (when I'm able to catch him). But does anyone know what it is?
An injury seems unlikely since it's on his head...
Such a well developed circle like that is sometimes a symptom of bacterial infection, as surface bacteria grow out from a point in an equal fashion, forming a circle.
It does look superficial, and may heal on its own, but to treat it, you could move it to your treatment tank and dose with a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic like Neoplex or Furan-2
Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Lowlandreef

Lowlandreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Such a well developed circle like that is sometimes a symptom of bacterial infection, as surface bacteria grow out from a point in an equal fashion, forming a circle.
It does look superficial, and may heal on its own, but to treat it, you could move it to your treatment tank and dose with a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic like Neoplex or Furan-2
Jay
Thanks for your reaction Jay!
He's in my treatment tank and the spot disappeared (almost like it fell off) in a day.
I'm keeping him there for observation and to strengthen him.

Upvote 0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back