large white growth on butterfly- lympho? something else?

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just hit my QT. Not sure what it might be . Seems bigger than photos I've seen online of lympho.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just hit my QT. Not sure what it might be . Seems bigger than photos I've seen online of lympho.

Lympho does grow that large, but it takes weeks. Somebody shipped you that fish with a large growth like that? I would call them out on that, it shouldn’t have been shipped. The fish is also lethargic, but I’m hoping that is just from residual shipping stress.
Jay

OP
OP
J

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lympho does grow that large, but it takes weeks. Somebody shipped you that fish with a large growth like that? I would call them out on that, it shouldn’t have been shipped. The fish is also lethargic, but I’m hoping that is just from residual shipping stress.
Jay
Yeah I sent them the video right away. Maybe they will make it right. It was barely in the tank 15 minutes when I shot the video and seems to be more energetic now. Not sure where to begin to try and treat this?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you try to get a clearer picture? If it is lympho, you won’t need to treat it. If it is another infection, you would. I just can’t tell from the photo.
Jay

OP
OP
J

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its pretty clear towards the end of the video I first posted. Its got much more energy now and already eating mysis also. I'll get another video if that one doesn't work. Will upload another video soon. Thanks!

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here's another. Moving so much now I can't get a still shot.

Still tough to see. Does it look like the growth is coming up from under the scales, that is, the scales looked lifted up? If so, this isn’t lymphocystis and it might be an internal fungal infection know as Icthyophonus - that isn’t treatable.
Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Still tough to see. Does it look like the growth is coming up from under the scales, that is, the scales looked lifted up? If so, this isn’t lymphocystis and it might be an internal fungal infection know as Icthyophonus - that isn’t treatable.
Jay
Looks like cauliflower (huge)but did you see the little bump on its head also in video ?

OP
OP
J

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay
Yeah it does look to me like a few little yellow scales are over the growth. I’ll try again to get a good clear picture
Capture.JPG

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it does look to me like a few little yellow scales are over the growth. I’ll try again to get a good clear picture
Capture.JPG

Lymphocystis typically starts on the trailing edges of the fins, not as a large nodule at the base of the fins. Here is a classic example of a severe case:

Attachments

• Regal angel Lymph Chris Houston.jpg
    Regal angel Lymph Chris Houston.jpg
    325.8 KB · Views: 20
OP
OP
J

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its eating well and much more active and feisty. I'm getting a replacement sent but still wanting to do something for this one if possible. Couple more videos if it helps. I will be separating it soon to another tank and will try and get a picture out of water up close.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its eating well and much more active and feisty. I'm getting a replacement sent but still wanting to do something for this one if possible. Couple more videos if it helps. I will be separating it soon to another tank and will try and get a picture out of water up close.

I'm going to revise my opinion - the fish is a lot less lethargic, I think this IS an odd case of Lymphocystis after all. I would not capture it for photos, too much of a risk of damaging it. It may take 6+ weeks for it to go away, or the nodule may break off sooner.

Jay

OP
OP
J

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
W
I'm going to revise my opinion - the fish is a lot less lethargic, I think this IS an odd case of Lymphocystis after all. I would not capture it for photos, too much of a risk of damaging it. It may take 6+ weeks for it to go away, or the nodule may break off sooner.

Jay
I just read this and had already separated into another tank so I got better video. I'm seeing more spots now on fins and body. Thanks for your help and vetteguy too. That would be great if it is lympho. I can wait that out .

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough to see, but I see some smaller spots. It is not impossible for a fish to have Lymphocytis and ich at the same time. Since you have the best view of the fish, I’d suggest you look at pictures of fish with ich and see if it matches to your fish.
Jay

OP
OP
J

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough to see, but I see some smaller spots. It is not impossible for a fish to have Lymphocytis and ich at the same time. Since you have the best view of the fish, I’d suggest you look at pictures of fish with ich and see if it matches to your fish.
Jay
I don't think its ich. Patches looks too big not like salt specks and no rubbing against stuff from irritation . Now almost overnight theres a giant white almost as large as the tailfin growth on the gills. Is there anything else this could be other than lympho that comes on so quickly?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think its ich. Patches looks too big not like salt specks and no rubbing against stuff from irritation . Now almost overnight theres a giant white almost as large as the tailfin growth on the gills. Is there anything else this could be other than lympho that comes on so quickly?

Not that I know of, but the growth is really fast for Lymphocystis.

Jay

OP
OP
J

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that I know of, but the growth is really fast for Lymphocystis.

Jay
Since I have it isolated, is there any general treatment you would recommend I try, or should I just keep well fed and wait to see if it improves. THanks

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I have it isolated, is there any general treatment you would recommend I try, or should I just keep well fed and wait to see if it improves. THanks
If it is Lymphocytis, then no treatment will help, the fish just needs to recover on their own.
Jay

OP
OP
J

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That big mass on the tailfin fell off and healed almost overnight. Other spots had developed and started and seem to be subsiding so thinknig it was lympho for anyone interested.

Back