Large White Patches

Aessedai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

Was wondering if I could get some advice on some large white patches that are present on my white spotted Jawfish and new arrival Flame Hawkfish.

Jawfish:
A6502042.jpg

A6502043.jpg

He's been in my tank for about 3 weeks, didn't have them to start, ones on the bottom slowly started to appear and I thought they were just scales rubbing off because he's zipping back and forth from his rock home. Now theres a few on the top which I guess could still have come from scraping but...

Jawfish:
A6502055.jpg

A6502036.jpg

Window's a little dirty, but you can see the white spot on his tail fin. His front body also seems to be loosing color and turning white. Jawfish has been in the tank for a week now and didn't have the spot or color loss when he arrived.

I havn't seen any small white specs like the Ich pictures show, any ideas?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes flukes can cause marking like this, although they usually tend to be closer to the head of the fish rather than the tail. It could also be the early stage of a bacterial infection.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not seen that coloration issue on a bluespot jaw before, so I don't know what that could be. I usually see tail erosion issues with them. Flame hawks are notorious for having fluke infestations. Are you in a position to give the flame hawk a diagnostic FW dip?

Jay

OP
OP
Aessedai

Aessedai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies, yes I'm willing to give a FW dip a shot. Havn't done one before but can youtube with the best of them!

OP
OP
Aessedai

Aessedai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should also note, the flame hawks came from live aquaria divers den. I was under the impression they are quarantined and didn't notice any marks when they went in.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is likely "Blue Spot Jawfish Disease". Treat by dosing Kanaplex + Metroplex every 48 hours for 2 weeks. Pharmaceutical grade kanamycin + metronidazole would obviously be better to use, but probably cannot be sourced in time to save these fish.

OP
OP
Aessedai

Aessedai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the rely Ford,

Looks like the kanapex is not safe for inverts, should I move the clean up crew to a different tank or move all fish from the DT to a holding tank to medicate?

The DT is 50g, looks like I would need to remove the carbon filter as well.

OP
OP
Aessedai

Aessedai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any advice on medicating procedure?

Looks like 2 of the 6 fish in the tank show the white blotches. Don't have any coral in the tank yet, would it be better to dose the DT after removing inverts/carbon filter or move the two fish showing signs to a hospital tank?

OP
OP
Aessedai

Aessedai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update - I moved the Jawfish to a quarantine tank last night and dosed with Kanaplex + Metroplex, havn't been able to catch the hawkfish yet.

This morning the white spots on the jawfish have turned black, he's eating and seems fine otherwise. I did notice the white spots turn black yesterday morning as well (before I moved him), then turn back to white yesterday afternoon.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back