• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Large Yellow Tang has to go for Seahorse Babies :)

SaltBabies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I"m cleaning out my 6 foot tank to work on breeding seahorses.

I have a large yellow tang. It's about 5 to 5.5 inches long and about 4 inches tall.

$300 or best offer

Will ship but you pay shipping. I ship seahorses so I have insulated boxes. Never shipped anything this large but PM for details on shipping.

I live in Florida and will most likely be at Orlando Reef-a-Palooza in Orlando on 5/15/21. I'll be driving by Tallahassee, Live Oak, Ocala.

IMG_0737.JPG IMG_0741.JPG IMG_0742.JPG IMG_0745.JPG

jamescstein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had the tang? It looks pretty chubby, what are you feeding it?

OP
OP
SaltBabies

SaltBabies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had him a couple years. When I got him he was only about 2 inches and fairly skinny.

I feed him frozen mysid and live macro algae. Chaeto, gracilaria what ever I have on hand.

FreeEnergyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any tips on raising seahorses? I seen a baby seahorse at Petco a week ago . He was starving to death I couldn't leave him. So i put him in the 75 with the peaceful crew everything was going great he was moseying around eating pods until yesterday he dissapeared. I found him hanging on to the overflow, alive but freaked out. So now he's in the fuge munching pods it's a 33g long not as big a home as i'd like for him but nothing to get stuck to in there but a chaeto ball. I am looking for a good tank atm for him and some other sea horse friends. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated and beneficial considering this is my first seahorse. Thanks

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any tips on raising seahorses? I seen a baby seahorse at Petco a week ago . He was starving to death I couldn't leave him. So i put him in the 75 with the peaceful crew everything was going great he was moseying around eating pods until yesterday he dissapeared. I found him hanging on to the overflow, alive but freaked out. So now he's in the fuge munching pods it's a 33g long not as big a home as i'd like for him but nothing to get stuck to in there but a chaeto ball. I am looking for a good tank atm for him and some other sea horse friends. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated and beneficial considering this is my first seahorse. Thanks
Seahorses are usually better off in a species tank. They don't swim around like most fish. They prefer to hitch and the food comes to them. They also require very clean water. Check out the threads on seahorses. A lot of valuable information there

OP
OP
SaltBabies

SaltBabies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some seahorses mixed with other fish. He may like the pods but if he’s an erectus he’s going to get too big for pods only. Once you get a set up I’d work on weaning him to frozen mysid. For my small horses I take a razor blade and shave the mysid to get small pieces.

however if you bought a dwarf they only eat live foods and don’t get big at all.

do you know which one he is?

because the recommendations are wildly different for erect us versus dwarf. How big is he now?

Last edited:
OP
OP
SaltBabies

SaltBabies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seahorses are usually better off in a species tank. They don't swim around like most fish. They prefer to hitch and the food comes to them. They also require very clean water. Check out the threads on seahorses. A lot of valuable information there
See above sorry that was for the other person was on my phone

Last edited:
OP
OP
SaltBabies

SaltBabies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
see above

FreeEnergyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some seahorses mixed with other fish. He may like the pods but if he’s an erectus he’s going to get too big for pods only. Once you get a set up I’d work on weaning him to frozen mysid. For my small horses I take a razor blade and shave the mysid to get small pieces.

however if you bought a dwarf they only eat live foods and don’t get big at all.

do you know which one he is?

because the recommendations are wildly different for erect us versus dwarf. How big is he now?
Idk what kind of seahorse it is. He was $15 he's black with grey and white spots almost 1 inch long if u include the tail. I've tried every kind of food u can think of and my homemade mix nobody turns down it's the same thing my mandarin and pipefish pair eat and its plenty small enough,but he's not interested at all just watches it float by his face. I'll get the best pic I can and post real quick

FreeEnergyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's too hard to get good pics where hes at now hunting pods on the grate. Plus he's so tiny u have to zoom in all the way. Any suggestions on an ID on this guy though?

Attachments

• 20210516_145204.jpg
    20210516_145204.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 20210516_145156.jpg
    20210516_145156.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 31

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back