• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Large Yellow Tang has to go for Seahorse Babies :)

OP
OP
SaltBabies

SaltBabies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk what kind of seahorse it is. He was $15 he's black with grey and white spots almost 1 inch long if u include the tail. I've tried every kind of food u can think of and my homemade mix nobody turns down it's the same thing my mandarin and pipefish pair eat and its plenty small enough,but he's not interested at all just watches it float by his face. I'll get the best pic I can and post real quick
Sounds like a juvenile or a dwarf. Dwarfs will mostly only eat live food and do not need large tanks. Most feed them baby brine but copepods as long as plentiful would be fine. Amphipods too.

OP
OP
SaltBabies

SaltBabies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok just say your pic. I can't tell with those pictures but due to the snout being kind of short and stubby I'm going to say if I had to guess it's a dwarf.

Here's a quick article.

Such as they only eat brine. I do think they will only eat live food but brine, copepods, probably amphipods too would all be fine. But make sure you have enough in quanity.

If he isn't a dwarf he'll be bigger and it will become obvious he isn't a dwarf. Better picture and we might could tell more.

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the description I'd have to say it's a dwarf H. zosterae as I've never seen a standard seahorse sold at that size.
Main comment I'd like to make is that NEVER buy a seahorse, dwarf or otherwise, because you feel sorry for it's condition in an LFS or you think you are rescuing it.
THIS WILL ONLY ENCOURAGE THE STORE TO SELL MORE OF THEM!!!
If you really want to get into seahorse keeping you can research first, starting with the stickies at the top of this forum, and going to the "FILES" section of Seahorse Source's Group on Facebook and read through the massive information Dan has compiled there.
Dwarf feeding is accomplished by feeding enriched artemia nauplii, but unless overall conditions are changed to be suitable for a dwarf, it's life expectancy is liable to be much shorter than the average 1 1/2 to 2 years normal for these.
The ONLY seahorse friends suitable for dwarf seahorses are other dwarf seahorses. They need completely different conditions than their standard sized cousins.

Pescador

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @SaltBabies,
I see this thread is a good 2 years old, but I'm hoping to pick your brain. I'm curious as to exactly why you decided to get rid of this tang. I have been considering a yellow tang for my seahorse reef for some time, as they could theoretically live peacefully together, but have been wary about it. Do you think there would be any aggression issues or is the tang just so active that it may stress the seahorses out and make them less likely to mate? Any insight on why or why not to keep a Zebrasoma tang with H. erectus seahorses would definitely be appreciated. Thanks!

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most definitely don't put a tang in with seahorses. While there are some fish that might work out with seahorses, the fast moving fish quickly stress the seahorses and with their poor immune systems will fall victim to disease.
In addition to that, tangs will consume the food before the slow seahorses can manage to get sufficient.
There is so much knowledge available about seahorse keeping today compared to when I first started back in 2002, I wish it had been available back then.
Too much to advise in just one thread though so what I'd advise is to go to Facebook and find Seahorse Sources' Group and click on "FILES". You should find pretty well anything you need to know through that link.
To put things in some perspective, in my decades of salt water hobby, Tangs were my favorite, but they seemed to have the worst affinity for problems. However, tang problems can't hold a candle to problems seahorses can come up with nor the frequency of such.
I certainly wish I'd started seahorse keeping when I was younger as now, at 80, I'm having to just ride out until the last one passes and then no more.

Back