Largest tank on second story? (Can I do a 180)

TCoach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, now that I am 100% remote and that we have to replace our floors downstairs, looking to move my DT to my office. Standard 1990’s construction.
Do you think I can put a 180 up there? It would be among the exterior wall perpendicular to the floor joists.

I believe the answer is yes as long as I make sure to span 4 joists (the max that can be reached).

thoughts?

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are going to get a bunch of different answers here. Some will tell you to get a get the structure checked out because of weight.
I can only answer from my experience. I have put aquariums in second floor before . Large tank in that range without problems. Even in a old mobile home.
think about all the waterbeds people used to buy and place in the middle of the floor upstairs in the 70’s. Big wood frame and more then 180 gallons and the added weigh of the people sleeping on it.
i personally don’t see you having a problem with a house built in the 90’s .

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's a big office, I would assume metal joists?

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually went thru this same exercise, 180g will conservatively come out closer to approx 2200lb - 2400lb: Approx 130G of SW is around 1100, 50G of sand and rock is anywhere from 600 to 700. Glass Tank and stand by itself will add another 500 - 600. This also doesn't factor in a sump in the cabinet, which you didn't mention if you needed. That will add an extra 200 to 400 LB depending on the size.

I had a structure engineer look at it - I also planned to put alone exterior wall across 4 to 5 joists. He recommended that I reinforce the floor with support pillars underneath. I ultimately decided against moving it up.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a question for a professional to come look at your house in person.

Not a question for random forum geeks.

It is a matter of safety.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a question for a professional to come look at your house in person.

Not a question for random forum geeks.

It is a matter of safety.
I agree with this wholeheartedly.
Though some of us can give advice, either from a structural understanding/experience or anecdotal aquarium experience, it is the one considering the tank that must decide how much risk to take.
The tank could be installed and work fine, but there is also a possibility of catastrophic results if the floor collapses.

@TCoach
My advice as an amateur structural engineer is to make sure you know the joist plan/directions and design load limits before placing the tank and see if there is anyone local with structural design/build experience that can give you confirmation on the safety of your floor for your tank considerations.

We might be able to give better advice on the forum if we knew your floor joist sizes, spacing, and direction from where you would like to place the tank, but there is only so much confidence that should ever be taken from non-professionals offering advice from a distance. The final risk level accepted is ultimately up to you.

Edit: One more thing: Though the original design of the house was made with factors of safety so the rated load limits are actually lower than true failure point, the factors of safety are there for good reason and should not be limited due to the potential extensive damage if the floor does fail (major house damage, damage to goods including the tank, potentially harming/killing people in the house during failure, etc.).

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 80 87.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back