Laser cnc for beginners??

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been looking at entry level cnc lasers but confused as all get out. I see sub $300 units but I don’t want to skimp out on features. From my research a CO2 laser is the best option for acrylic cutting but affordable beginner units don’t really have much of a working surface. Would mainly be cutting black, clear, and flourescent acrylic. Would a non CO2 unit work on clear at all? Open to any suggestions, would like to stay under $500 if possible.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been looking at entry level cnc lasers but confused as all get out. I see sub $300 units but I don’t want to skimp out on features. From my research a CO2 laser is the best option for acrylic cutting but affordable beginner units don’t really have much of a working surface. Would mainly be cutting black, clear, and flourescent acrylic. Would a non CO2 unit work on clear at all? Open to any suggestions, would like to stay under $500 if possible.

CO2 will be what you need for acrylic, especially clear (as acrylic is opaque at the long-IR wavelengths used by CO2).

I can't really vouch for the entry level machines, except to say wear eye protection (and do not stare into laser with remaining eye). The cheap machines often omit important features like lid-closed safety interlocks, and may leak incident light out anywhere. Don't mess with lasers.

If you need just a few pieces, sometimes it cheap to deal with a fabrication service (Send cut send, etc).

Last edited:

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was curious about this a few years back. Hope you get some good recommendations. I was wondering about the smell myself. Out in the garage is one thing but in a hobby room inside the house I don’t know how bad it would be. It would be cool to have for all kinds of projects and not as messy as a router. Good luck

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was curious about this a few years back. Hope you get some good recommendations. I was wondering about the smell myself. Out in the garage is one thing but in a hobby room inside the house I don’t know how bad it would be. It would be cool to have for all kinds of projects and not as messy as a router. Good luck

Under no circumstances cut plastics with a laser without continuous outside ventilation. In the garage, door open, fans running. If your laser has an exhaust system, use it. One of those cheap harbor freight blowers, while loud, will help a ton moving the air out from an exhaust duct on the laser.

Remember, the laser is actually burning the plastic away, not just slightly melting it and chipping it away like a router.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Under no circumstances cut plastics with a laser without continuous outside ventilation. In the garage, door open, fans running. If your laser has an exhaust system, use it. One of those cheap harbor freight blowers, while loud, will help a ton moving the air out from an exhaust duct on the laser.

Remember, the laser is actually burning the plastic away, not just slightly melting it and chipping it away like a router.
Pretty much why I stopped looking into it years ago. Some of them had ventilated cabinets as an accessory but I know how bad burning plastic/acrylic smells.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much why I stopped looking into it years ago. Some of them had ventilated cabinets as an accessory but I know how bad burning plastic/acrylic smells.

Yeah, vented cabinet is a must, and I know people do use them with giant carbon filters... but I wouldn't personally do that with plastics. Wood maybe is ok.

If its a small enough machine, toss it on a patio and let it run. Realistically, cutting with a CO2 laser is a relatively fast operation (engraving is the slow part), so its not like its running for hours at a time.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 28 82.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.9%

Back