Last step - Introduction of Tangs!

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reefers! :)

So, I'm closing in on completing my fish stock; the tangs are coming - however, we haven't quite settled on which ones yet. Every day it seems there's a now one that we can't live without!

Ideally, we would like to introduce three juveniles at the same time into our Cade S2 1500 (5 feet, 143 gallons)

Q: Which three tangs do I want in my tank?

Currently, the three top contenders are:
1 x Yellow Tail Purple Tang
1 x White Tail Cole Tang
1 x Yellow Sailfin Tang

- I am particularly worried that the Purple and Yellow tang will fight as they have similar shapes.

Full fish stock (.. and tankmates!):
2 x Ocellaris Clown Fish (Pair)
1 x Timor Wrasse
1 x Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse
1 x Orangeback Fairy Wrasse
1 x Yellow Wrasse
1 x Lawnmower Blenny
1 x One-Spot Foxface Rabbit Fish
1 x Coral Beauty
1 x Royal Gramma
1 x Long Nose Hawk Fish
6 x Carberryi Anthias
2 x Mandarin Goby (Pair)
1 x Copperband Butterfly Fish
1 x Pink Spotted Watchman Goby

Thanks

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So, I'm closing in on completing my fish stock; the tangs are coming - however, we haven't quite settled on which ones yet. Every day it seems there's a now one that we can't live without!

Ideally, we would like to introduce three juveniles at the same time into our Cade S2 1500 (5 feet, 143 gallons)

1 x White Tail Cole Tang
1 x Yellow Sailfin Tang

- I am particularly worried that the Purple and Yellow tang will fight as they have similar shapes.

1 x Timor Wrasse
1 x Yellow Wrasse
1 x Lawnmower Blenny
1 x Coral Beauty
1 x Royal Gramma
1 x Long Nose Hawk Fish
6 x Carberryi Anthias
2 x Mandarin Goby (Pair)

Thanks
Honestly, I wouldn’t add more than one tang if any into that tank. It already seems heavy on the stocking. With 21 fish already your tank may not actually be able to hold the waste that tangs put off.

OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I wouldn’t add more than one tang if any into that tank. It already seems heavy on the stocking. With 21 fish already your tank may not actually be able to hold the waste that tangs put off.
Well, that might make the decision even harder- and easier at the same time! ;) Which one do I chose? Wife wants purple, I want Cole

Regarding generation of waste, we're quite heavy in filtration with filter roller (Clarisea) and a massive skimmer (Octo Regal 200), so I reckon that would be okay.

For the heavy stock; yeah, it did get slightly out of hand but for now, everyone seems happy and thriving! Let's watch them grow!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

1 x White Tail Cole Tang
1 x Yellow Sailfin Tang

1 x Timor Wrasse
1 x Yellow Wrasse
1 x Lawnmower Blenny
1 x Coral Beauty
1 x Royal Gramma
1 x Long Nose Hawk Fish
6 x Carberryi Anthias
2 x Mandarin Goby (Pair)

Thanks
Should not be an issue as long as you maintain good water quality and diet (suggested foods below)
The order will be Kole tang, followed by Sailfin , then Purple. I have 21 tangs and they cohabitate just fine
Some foods to offer are:
LRS herbivore diet
Formula 2 flake and frozen
TDO Pellets
small plankton
Hikari Marine cuisine
Ocean nutrition veggie diet
spirulina brine shrimp
mysis shrimp
Prime reef
Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract

Add selcon vitamins to foods occasionally

OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should not be an issue as long as you maintain good water quality and diet (suggested foods below)
The order will be Kole tang, followed by Sailfin , then Purple. I have 21 tangs and they cohabitate just fine
Some foods to offer are:
LRS herbivore diet
Formula 2 flake and frozen
TDO Pellets
small plankton
Hikari Marine cuisine
Ocean nutrition veggie diet
spirulina brine shrimp
mysis shrimp
Prime reef
Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract

Add selcon vitamins to foods occasionally
Thank you, that's helpful with the list of suggested food- we will definitely be looking into that! :)

I was gonna get all three at the same time in a juvenile stage, quarantine them together and introduce them in to the main display at the same time to avoid any of them getting a head start claiming territory etc.

Bad plan?

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm all for adding tangs, but your stock already looks on the higher side of medium. Throw 3 poop machines in there and you will be at a high bioload, and need to adjust accordingly.

Two of the three you listed are zebrasoma. ( Purple and sailfin) assuming you're calling the zebrasoma veliferum a yellow sailfin. Those two will likely have issue. 150g will be too small for a sailfin for for than a few years.

The white tail Bristletooth is a great option as they stay pretty small, are an absolute workhorse and look beautiful.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thank you, that's helpful with the list of suggested food- we will definitely be looking into that! :)

I was gonna get all three at the same time in a juvenile stage, quarantine them together and introduce them in to the main display at the same time to avoid any of them getting a head start claiming territory etc.

Bad plan?
It may place a load on tank but of tank is well established, should be fine. Personally I would quarantine first and also assure at LFS that they are eating. Kole and sailfin should not claim territory but purple will why suggested as the last one

This was in the 135g

1673197750791.png

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, that might make the decision even harder- and easier at the same time! ;) Which one do I chose? Wife wants purple, I want Cole

Regarding generation of waste, we're quite heavy in filtration with filter roller (Clarisea) and a massive skimmer (Octo Regal 200), so I reckon that would be okay.

For the heavy stock; yeah, it did get slightly out of hand but for now, everyone seems happy and thriving! Let's watch them grow!
Knowing you have a CBB, you likely will find a war occur between the Zebrasoma and CBB no matter what route you go. Especially considering that you may have ran out of room for now.

I would go the Ctenochaetus route as they don’t really care about others.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Knowing you have a CBB, you likely will find a war occur between the Zebrasoma and CBB no matter what route you go. Especially considering that you may have ran out of room for now.

I would go the Ctenochaetus route as they don’t really care about others.
To this point, it is not uncommon for sailfin to bully CBB relentlessly. They look very similar and CBB don't have the fighting bone in them.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To this point, it is not uncommon for sailfin to bully CBB relentlessly. They look very similar and CBB don't have the fighting bone in them.
Tell that to my CBB… he had a standoff with my Regal Angel and won. The standoff only occurred because the Regal was swimming next to the CBB.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell that to my CBB… he had a standoff with my Regal Angel and won. The standoff only occurred because the Regal was swimming next to the CBB.
You got a good one.

I had to XXL size my CBB to dissuade the Desjardini from murdering it. They are such sweet looking beautiful fish.

OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A
I'm all for adding tangs, but your stock already looks on the higher side of medium. Throw 3 poop machines in there and you will be at a high bioload, and need to adjust accordingly.

Two of the three you listed are zebrasoma. ( Purple and sailfin) assuming you're calling the zebrasoma veliferum a yellow sailfin. Those two will likely have issue. 150g will be too small for a sailfin for for than a few years.

The white tail Bristletooth is a great option as they stay pretty small, are an absolute workhorse and look beautiful.
Aye, I was fearing that the yellow sailfin and purple tang would'nt get along too well, won't be getting both for sure.

That's me down to two contenders unless there's better alternatives out there?

Back