Last time you did a water change? What about Holiday Tank Maintenance?

WHEN IS THE LAST TIME YOU CHANGED YOUR WATER OUT?

• TODAY

Votes: 206 23.9%
  • Last Week

Votes: 361 41.8%
  • This Month

Votes: 95 11.0%
  • Last Month

Votes: 75 8.7%
  • 3 Months

Votes: 33 3.8%
  • 6 Months

Votes: 27 3.1%
  • 12 Months+

Votes: 16 1.9%
  • Can't Remember

Votes: 18 2.1%
  • NEVER

Votes: 32 3.7%

• Total voters

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1% every day (AWC), spread out over 150 times during the day (Spectrapure III).

According to Hamzasreef calculation, at 110ml 150 times a day I'm changing about 26% a month. Happy with that...

pjb9166

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering our new system is only six months old. I do a five gallon water change twice a week. Now that the system has started to balance out nicely. I’ll be dropping that to once a week until about the eighteenth month mark. At that point depending on how everything is going I’ll drop to once every two weeks and again at the two year mark once a month. Till finally the hopes to be able to drop all together. If not five gallons per week is not all that much and is fine with me.

Attachments

• 8E330540-F2E5-4324-B9C9-6D84F7C5E9A5.jpeg
    8E330540-F2E5-4324-B9C9-6D84F7C5E9A5.jpeg
    181.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 47E28394-3F5F-41FE-93BF-770EF8E85A9A.jpeg
    47E28394-3F5F-41FE-93BF-770EF8E85A9A.jpeg
    224.8 KB · Views: 26

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no set schedule for changing water or anything else so I do "automatic" changes. It comes to about 4 times a year if I am feeling ambitious and it is a decent day to go to the sea and get some water. Then I automatically back up to the surf and pump some of the stuff into my Jeep.

Then I heat it up and dump it in, if it's still early I go to a nice place for breakfast. :p

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All this time I thought that Nitrates should be as close to zero as you can get it. Found out different. However when you raise the Nitrates the algae comes back. Where is the saw off?

tyryfin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 gallons everyday with Neptune DOS, best thing I ever did

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My last water change was 130 gallons about a month ago on a 350 system. I've gone to vodka dosing to maintain phosphates and nitrates and seeing really good results. I may continue this, though the daily manual dosing vs. just a monthly water change has it's own drawbacks. I need to setup a doser or something, but, it may enable me to do less frequent water changes. And manually dosing trace elements a couple times a week.

Cool tangs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good topic!

I think this depends on what your trying to keep age of tank and methods.

My newer tank is still pretty fresh and i find water changes help alot as my corals get unhappy when I dont! Im still battling stability especially for keeping acro! So water changes seem best at this point in time. I dont have a average as i test pretty reg at the moment.

Old tank, i think the longest was 6 months my old tank was about 3-4 years old and wow, i could be so lazy and that thing thrived.

RecoveryReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love doing Maintenance on the tank. Even did it during the Holiday yesterday. That's my 4th child, and as much money as I invested in it I'm going to love it delicately. Plus I bought a new Rainbow Bubble tip yesterday which is so beautiful.

Attachments

• _Rainbow Anemane.jpg
    _Rainbow Anemane.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 26
  • Rainbow Anemane.jpg
    Rainbow Anemane.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 23

Barnabie Mejia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a GREAT Water Change Calculator that will give you some insight about water changes, that I'm sure you will be suprised to learn the results.

https://www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/Calculators/EffectiveWaterChange.php

It will show you the difference between different amounts of water changes, and how often.

The Calculator will OUTPUT the Effective Water change (ie how much of the OLD water is being replace with New Water with different WC strategies).

I used this to learn about how much water for daily water changes are needed to achieve the same result as weekly or monthly larger water change.

I do water changes automatically daily. The downside to that is when you do weekly or monthly water changes it gives you enough water volume to sweep the tank when you sihphon the water out. So every so often I'll do a bigger manual water change.

What do you mean sweep the tank? like getting all the detritus out of the tank like you would do on a "normal Water change"?

Oh and I do a 20 gallon change on my 75g every week. there is no set day that I do it. sometimes 7 days sometimes 9... just depends whats going on.

i am leaning more and more towards an AWC not because i don't like doing it, its more because i want more stability in the tank itself.

Last edited:

Barnabie Mejia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just stop doing WC then

Sincerely Lasse
Where would the replacement of the trace elements come from at that point? I am in no way being sarcastic at all, I am just trying to learn as much as possible.

I have always understood from the hours of reading on here and interactions with members and local hobbyist that Water Changes help replace the trace elements as well as get rid of lingering nitrates and phosphates in the systems. I have noticed much more stability going form a 29g tank to a 75g. but even then, the 75g is not a big system at all.
if I need to replace the elements via dosing them, wouldn't that just defeat the purpose of getting rid of a maintenance chore? if that makes sense.

Thanks!

Barnabie Mejia

stephenwjr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Change out 5 gallons a week on Friday's. 13.5135% a week for my 36g + ~1g canister filter. Clean filter every Friday and sometimes on Tuesday or Wednesday depending on how much feeding.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back